“Jimmy Page – like” wiring a Tribute Plus, blow-by-blow wiring demo with photos

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by hotzlaw, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Thomaz

Thomaz Junior Member

Thank you, both :) That's really helpful, going to try this wiring next week :)

2. johnny7322

johnny7322 Senior Member

Just finished wiring my R8 with 4 conductor Throbaks. Very pleased with the results.

Thank you for taking the time to make this thread!

3. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

You're welcome, I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you. :)

4. Kaan ERDAL

Kaan ERDAL Junior Member

hotzlaw, thank you for this great post.

Does your scheme works for 21 tones, configured like that?
    [​IMG]

I may have hard time to figure them out once i've got it installed. :)

5. Argus Wishingwell

Argus Wishingwell Junior Member

I am curious too.

6. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

Hi, you're welcome.

Yes and no. The circuit gives the full spectrum of tones possible when splitting / phase / series - parallel, but the switching is slightly different. One major difference from the (tiny) diagram that you posted, are the "B" postitions - in your diagram you are warned that "Guitar will shut off when selector is in the middle position". This is one big advantage of the circuit I posted because it has NO dead spots in ANY switch position.

Basically in the circuit discussed in this post the Bridge Volume splits the bridge pickup, Neck Volume splits the neck pickup, Bridge Tone puts bridge and neck in/out of phase and Neck Tone puts bridge and neck pickups series / parallel. So yes it is the real McCoy in terms of covering all of the possibilities and no, not exactly as described in your Table.

I suppose that were one very ambitios one could make a Table similar to the one that you posted for this circuit, but basicall I am not, ummmm, so ambitios....... I built the thing and the rest was experimenting and learning the tonal variations by doing.....

Have a great New Year!

7. Argus Wishingwell

Argus Wishingwell Junior Member

My tech made it done and it works great! Thank you very very much! No dead position and no tone changes when rolling volume pot down. That was exactly what i ve been searching for.

Now tryin to figure which makes what and it is fun!!

8. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

Hey that's awesome!

I'm really glad to hear it.

9. akiller

akiller Junior Member

All the photos are dead for this wiring, does anyone have copies still? A wire fell off and I'm not sure where it went!

I swear I took a copy of them but I can't find them now :(

10. akiller

akiller Junior Member

Just after I posted that I found it!

Here's the original post with new image links for anyone who needs it :).
    album: https://imgur.com/a/Vicfg

----------

The entire circuit is shown below.

Note that I am using Gibson colors for the Classic pups in the T+.
    If using other pups, you need to convert colors accordingly.
    Also note that I tried to separate signal and chassis ground.

Volume controls split neck and bridge pups, respectively.
    Bridge tone switches out-of-phase.
    Neck tone switches pups series.

[​IMG]

Kind of a mess :hmm:…

First thing I did was to build a template out of some fiber board that I had lying around, and to mount the 4 pots to this.

[​IMG]

Then I started wiring the Signal Path, using some hookup wire (green) for the short wires on the pots, and the cool yellow cloth stuff for the path between the pots.
    And the caps, of course.

Here is the scheme for Signal Path:

[​IMG]

Next I wired in the Signal Ground, using hook up wire for the short stretches on the pots, and the cool black cloth stuff for the longer ones.

Here is the scheme for the Signal Ground:

[​IMG]

Note that the two long black wires that "end nowhere" are left long enough so that they can be soldered to the jack.

Here a photo of Signal Path and Signal Ground wired up.
    It is now ready to drop into the guitar:

[​IMG]

A close up:

[​IMG]

Now to the Chassis Ground.

I wanted to avoid soldering to the back of the pots, in order to make it easier to change things should I decide to do so.
    So I used crimp type M8 lugs in order to slip the pots through these to ground them.
    I removed the plastic from over the crimp part of the lug and soldered the wires to the lug instead of crimping – again, just in order to make things easier should I decide to change things.

Here the scheme:

[​IMG]

So I cut cool black cloth wires to length using my template for the connections between the lugs, and then soldered the bridge, pups and switch ground wires to these.
    Note that the connection between jack and switch was already in place on the guitar, I just left this as is.

Again, I apologize for the lousy quality of the photo, but I think that you get the idea.
    The lugs go over the holes for the pots, so that the shafts of the pots can slip through:

[​IMG]

So now all that’s left to do is to marry the harness with the chassis ground, solder the pickup and switch wires, and to connect the two signal ground wires to the jack.

Here is the pickup and switch scheme:

[​IMG]

Here’s what it looks like all hooked up (can you tell that the vacationers are back?):

[​IMG]