“Jimmy Page – like” wiring a Tribute Plus, blow-by-blow wiring demo with photos

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by hotzlaw, Aug 4, 2013.

1. roccster

roccster Senior Member

Ok guys, I need some help here.

After much trial and error I still can´t convert the colors of the AR325 Super 58 pups to the gibson. So any advice to get this sorted out would be great.

I have attached two images, one with the Ibanez schematics and one where I modified this JP diagram to suit my pups, it didn´t work.

ibanez_wiring.gif

JP Wiring Ibanez Pickups.jpg

2. LowThudd

LowThudd Senior Member

Here is the set up I use from Def Eddy's diagram. And also a Ibanez color chart. Maybe that will help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. roccster

roccster Senior Member

THats nice m8, but if someone just could convert this schematics for me that would have been great, cause my brain can´t hold more then one of these at the time ;)

4. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

Well, I'll put in my two cents.

It would seem that Ibanez pickups are a little tricky as to the colors. Sometimes you see green, sometimes blue, sometimes even yellow.

But I think that LowThudd is on to the right idea, if the colors you have are red, white, black and blue. This would match what you find at this site.

You need to compare to the Gibson colors and redraw the schematic for the Ibanez. I would suggest printing the schematic in this post, and using a crayon to change white to back, green to white and black to blue. Red stays red.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

5. roccster

roccster Senior Member

Thanks for the tips, I kinda tried that with the S58 scehmatics I posted earlier (I have Red White Black and Green), then I tried to convert your drawing but something is not right. So thats what I need help with. Maybe Im thinking wrong but if you look at the two files I posted you see what I think it should be (but it clearly is not) :) .
    As you can see "your" drawing that I posted is the one I have changed the colors in.

Hope for some clarity.

rgds
    / Richard

6. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

Hey,
    I've been out of town for a couple of days....

As far as I can tell from the top diagram that you posted the color code for your pickups are the same as what I posted in #84, except that blue becomes green.

The "crayon" diagram that you posted of my schematic doesn't follow my suggestion in Post #84. So I would try this first, substituting green for blue, of course.

If all else fails, you will need to test your pickups using a multimeter to figure out what's what, but that makes things just a wee bit more complicated.

7. roccster

roccster Senior Member

Thanx for helping out, just to clarify what you said in #84 because I didn´t get it
    White - Black
    Green - White
    Black - Blue (green in my case)
    Red - Red

I think I read wrong :D

Sorry for beeing a stupido! :)

8. arctic_rogue

arctic_rogue Junior Member

First, thanks for the great tutorial.

I've spent time over the last two days working on it and I'm having an issue.

The push/pull on the neck volume only works when I pull it out. When it's in, I don't get any sound coming from the bridge pickup at all (but I do get it from the neck volume). But when it's pulled out, I get sound.

Thanks!

9. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

Well, you're welcome.

It's really pretty tough to troubleshoot the problem from your description, but what I can say is that you need to be absolutely sure that it is wired according to the guide.
    It will work then, barring any hardware problems.

Are you absolutely sure about the pickup color code?

Are you absolutely sure about the wiring? Pushing in the pot and then getting no signal probably means that this shorts the pickup out, ie., a wire is soldered to the wrong place, somewhere.

Sorry that this is so vague, but like I said, it's really difficult to imagine a solution to your problem other than that the wiring is incorrect, somewhere.

10. sibo

sibo Member

I just did this on a second guitar as I found it very usable on my first one!
    However I did something wrong so I ask and hope it happened to someone else here.

I followed all instructions but must've done something wrong, this is what's going on:
    Bridge pup works fine, both coil switched and normal mode. Neck pup is dead.

When I pull bridge treb pot there's still coming sound but when I pull neck treb pot it dies, even though it's in "treble mode" which is how series should work I guess.

My conclusion is that neck pup signal path is interrupted somehow but can't find it! So annoying x(

If you had this happen to you, please do share ideas of solutions! :fingersx:

<3

11. alsoty

alsoty Member

cool thread !

12. akiller

akiller Junior Member

Thanks a lot for this guide hotzlaw, much appreciated!

I foolishly thought I'd be able to do this mod in a few hours.. a week-and-a half-later I finally got it done! I had lots of wire in the garage so decided to use that rather than the cloth stuff, only realising after it was about 16 AWG, no wonder it was such a pain to solder and get into shape :D.

If you ever got the time it would be great to record a demo video demonstrating all the permutations and the effect they should have on the output tone - mainly as a debugging aid for if something wasn't working right.

I too bought my stuff from Axesrus, but decided to opt for the Soviet Russian KY40-9 PIO caps off eBay - think they were £8 for the two (0.022uf bridge/0.015uf neck) :). They're a pain to fit in thanks to the little amount of room in the guitar cavity though.

I'm still not entirely happy with my neck pick-up (Seymour Duncan SH-1 59), it still seems to be a bit tinny (this was the reason I decided to do the upgrade, so it existed before). I'm sure there's something wrong with it because it's out of phase when wired using the proper colours (I've never swapped the magnet) and I'm sure it's coil splitting when the neck switch is down, and not spitting when it's up, e.g., reversed - and yes, my wiring is right :/. Think I might have to start a new thread to diagnose that one.

Here's some progress photos if anyone's interested. It's a 2008 Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus. I borrowed a BlackJack SolderWerks BK6000 from work which helped a lot, my 25w iron probably wouldn't have coped very well with this job. The smoke extractor attached to the top of the soldering iron kept getting in the way though, and it was a pain to remove :/.

The workbench! Nice and tidy, as you can see :).
    [​IMG]

Signal wiring complete:
    [​IMG]

Signal ground wiring complete:
    [​IMG]

Chassis' ground terminal connector:
    Great idea on using terminal connectors. I cut the tubing in half to give me a little more room in the guitar.
    [​IMG]

Chassis' ground harness complete.
    I heated the terminal connectors up and pooled a large amount of solder into them to sink the wires into:
    [​IMG]

Fitting it all in. I tried to do as much soldering as possible outside of the cavity, unfortunately my neck pick-up wires are very short so I had to solder those in once the harness was dropped in.
    [​IMG]

Complete! I re-used the Epiphone molex connector from the switch, figuring there was no need to replace all the wires.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apart from a few grounding issues it pretty much worked first time - the ground-wire from my bridge pick-up was touching the capacitor casing shorting it out. I didn't realise it would do that :).

Thanks again for the great guide :).

13. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

Hey akiller,

You are very welcome and thanks for the post. I'm happy to have helped.
    You did a great job, I couldn't have done better myself :)

I still have my guitar and 2 years later have no issues with it.

Enjoy!

14. akiller

akiller Junior Member

I hope to never have to do it again though :D.

I think I do have one problem though :). When I pull the neck tone pot up to switch the series the bridge volume pot is completely dead; only the neck pot will adjust the volume - no matter what pickup I have selected it's the same. Is that right?

If I tap on the bridge pick-up it's definitely outputting, and I can adjust its tone with the tone pot but the volume has no effect. I've tested continuity of all wires to your diagram and I'm sure it's correct.

15. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

Hey akiller,

When the neck tone is pulled up the single coils of the neck and bridge pup are in series and the the neck volume and neck tone are the "master controls".

I just tried it, and on my guitar the bridge volume has no effect in this position, and the bridge tone seems to have a ""very slight effect", hardly noticeable really. I'm really not sure why - I never noticed it before. I guess an electronics person might be able to offer an explanation - it's supposed to have no effect.

But the "master" neck tone definitely has a greater effect on the tone than does the bridge tone.

So I think that you're ok, it's a feature not a bug. :)

Hope this helps.

16. indeedido

indeedido Senior Member

Dang akiller, you ain't kiddin' on that wire. More like cable! I bet that was a pain.

17. akiller

akiller Junior Member

Awesome, thanks. Sounds like I did wire it correctly then after all. I started to trace your diagram to figure it out myself then quickly gave up as there's so many connections everywhere I had no hope.

Fortunately it was braided which made it easier. The first few joints are fine, it's when you get close to the end you realise what a huge mistake it was!

The orange hookup wire I used was actually hook-up wire from a local explosives/blasting company :D.

18. Thomaz

Thomaz Junior Member

Hello

I've got an Epiphone LP Ultra and am planning on installing this wiring into my guitar. Now my questions are:

1. Is there already a bridge ground?
    2. If yes, where do I find it and is it re-usable when installing this?
    3. If yes, do I simply de-solder it and then solder it to one of the lugs of the chassis ground.

Thanks in advance.
    -Thomas

19. akiller

akiller Junior Member

Assuming yours is broadly the same as my Epiphone (~2008 Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus) then:

1. Yep
    2. Yes it's reusable. On mine there was a single black wire coming out of a hole just to the right of where the pickup/switch wires exit. I think it was the one I've highlighted on this photo but I can't remember exactly:

[​IMG]
    3. Yep

Tip from someone who's done this mod: if you don't have one already then make sure you have a multimeter/continuity tester handy - you can pick them up off eBay for £5/~7&#8364; - and test every single solder joint right after you've made it to make sure everything is connected as it should be.

You can also use it to test your bridge ground is connected to your ground loop etc :).

1 person likes this.
  20. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

Beat me to it, akiller :)

I can't agree more on the tip about the multimeter. It's really indispensible. Great advice!

On my Tribute + the bridge ground is also a black wire, you can see it in the last photo of the original post (also shown below), upper left hand corner.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.