“Jimmy Page – like” wiring a Tribute Plus, blow-by-blow wiring demo with photos

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by hotzlaw, Aug 4, 2013.

1. w5rjh

w5rjh Junior Member

There will always be a market for him because some people dont have the soldering skills, patience and time to make these things and word of mouth and quality apparently are there. I was already in the hole with another wiring kit that I bought from another maker that I was not happy with> I was just glad I was able to salvage the caps and pots to make it how I wanted it.

1 person likes this.
  2. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

G'Day Mookakian,

Perhaps you should read the original post a little more carefully, because I DO give credit to those who deserve it, namely Steve Ahola who published the original Shecter Superock diagram on which this circuit is based on, and to Raz59 (of this forum) who was so kind as to modify the circuit somewhat, and to post his mods in this forum.

I really have no idea of how Jonesy's circuit is wired, so I would appreciate it if you would refrain from suggesting that I copied something from him.

As to the mechanical grounding, via lugs, I did this because I wanted something that would be quick to disassemble in case I needed to modify something.
    As it turns out that I was happy with it the way that it was.
    Soldering the pots together is of course also not an issue.
    All that I can say is that more than a year later, I have no issues with the grounding whatsoever, it's still dead quiet.

@w5rjh - glad to have helped, you are welcome!

:dude:

3. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Wow...I read it, and I question were the other guys got it, and as I said in my post I am not 100% sure but no trouble, I will be sure to avoid your threads if you like, consider it done ;)

4. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

Hey no problem, thanks for your input! :)

5. Viacheslav

Viacheslav Member

Its really a great thread. Many thanks to hotzlaw!

But I would like to take it to the next level. I was thinking about this for a long time. Probably, many of you have just 1 or 2 guitars. And one of them could be a really good one, like R9 or R-something)) Perhaps it sounds killer but you want to make it also versatile, basically like swiss army knife. Those who read this topic I guess agree that Jimmy Page has this knife)).
    I do not afraid to mess with my R9, I want to upgrade it. It is some kind of a project now.

The idea is to collect best parts as you can get like pick-ups, pots, caps for Page-like wiring and make ultimate setup))

What do you think? Should I start new thread?

6. LowThudd

LowThudd Senior Member

First, you might take a look here: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/280861-jimmy-page-2-wiring.html

Lot's of info on the Gibson JP #2 guitar wiring. Sure, start your own thread if you want, or continue there if you want.

7. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

Hey you're welcome, but since this thread is supposed to be about how to do a Jimmy Page type wiring, and not about pickups etc., you would probably be better off starting your own thread.

I'm sure that you'll get a lot of differing opinions about what constitutes the "ultimate Les Paul".

8. pierret

pierret Junior Member

Hi, congratulations for the great work Hotzlaw

Thats the famous German sense of detail at work ;)

I also did a kinda Jimmy Page wiring on my Tribute Plus. It was a hell of a job to squeeze my clumsy fingers in there with the iron and what not :(( as you can imagine. But I have no regret. It works real well. It took around 5 hours...

Mine was based on a design made by ... whats his name.... Deaf Eddie, which is easy to find on the net. I must give my thanks to him.
    The one difference, is that this gives you the original parallel wiring on each pup, the same one that is available on the original Tribute. I kind of like that one so its nice to have it.
    That design also puts the out of phase simultaneous with the series position (both pups). So only one switch does that in one go.
    I dont know if I am missing much not having it separate. But I thought the series by itself might not be worth it.

Interesting what you say about linear vs log pots. I kept the original tone pots, they act like linear pots.... I think, meaning, only acting from 0 to 5. its the only bother.

Congrats again

9. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

Hey, thanks for your comments, pierret.

Deaf Eddie is of course a legend in his own right, he's published lots of really good information and ideas. I'm glad that you are enjoying your set up.

About the series by itself position, I use this sometimes when the neck and bridge pups are split, to give like a "virtual humbucker". But I guess that in your case (parallel as opposed to split) this option wouldn't be available, anyways.

Oh, and I can't resist to comment on the "German sense of detail".
    Although I have been residing in Germany for the last 15 years or so, I was born and raised in, like, Canada, eh!!

So deep down inside, I'm still just a hoser!! :thumb: :beer:

1 person likes this.
  10. pierret

pierret Junior Member

Hi Hotzlaw, hum hoser... eh ?;)

Oh oh thats a small world then, Canadian now... funny isnt it, well, I have been in Canada for 25 years, but I actually also lived in Strasbourg for some years, which straddles the Rhine, so here we go... ;) I actually worked partly in Germany at one point, which was very a interesting culture for a french guy.

Eddie s wiring actually does give the parallel and split wiring, with the oop series and the stock wirings, so it has lots of combinations. The series w split pups does seem interesting though. I installed that on my Tele, and Strat, but there you cant modulate the pups volume.

Anyway, when all is said and done, the most important is to work on improving the... playing !

Keep it up

11. cheetah77

cheetah77 Senior Member

I always thought Jimmy Page wiring was a T-Top and an A2 neck into a Super Lead, what era Page is this for?

12. LowThudd

LowThudd Senior Member

Post Zep.

13. roccster

roccster Senior Member

Ok, im still waiting for the DIY video, when will it be available ;)
    Just kidding, received all my parts but haven´t gotten around to dismantle my Les Paul, might try the whole thing on my Ibanez first, just to be sure :)

14. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

Wow. really small.

When I "imigrated" to Germany in 1999, I was required to do so from a foreign country.
    I chose France, and we then drove to Strasbourg, which is not so far from where I live here in Germany.....

15. roccster

roccster Senior Member

I have a q about the wiring. Will this give you a more responsive volume. On my LesPaul standard I feel that the volume is more or less on or off. I have to roll down to 1-2 to get semi clean, and after that it gets hot pretty quick.

16. LowThudd

LowThudd Senior Member

Sounds like you may have linear taper pots for vol. Switching to better audio taper pots could help, if that is the case. This mod is not designed to 'fix' that, but you could do it while you change the pots.

17. roccster

roccster Senior Member

FYI
    Medium shaft pots do not work with Gibson LP Standard 2011, need long shafts.
    To bad I didnt check that before making the order :)

Well hopefully they fit in my Ibanez instead.

18. roccster

roccster Senior Member

Ok, spent most of the day soldering and swearing. Finally everything is installed, i hook it up and not much works as suposed. After I calmed down I did some investigation about the pups in the Ibanez AR325 and of course, they have a different color scheme then the std. Gibson (black is white etc)... Should have checked at the beginning of the project, lesson learned!!
    My initial plan was to make the mod to my Std Les Paul. To bad the Burstbuckers only have 2 conductors... Well the Ibanez makes for good practice :D

19. slidejob

slidejob Junior Member

If I'm not mistaken all Humbuckers have 4 wires. I had to do this mod to my OE30 to complete the JP mod. Hope this helps.

Guitar Wiring Site - Humbucker Construction

20. roccster

roccster Senior Member

Sweet article m8, but I wont risk my pups in the Les Paul, will keep my eyes out for a used pair.