“Jimmy Page – like” wiring a Tribute Plus, blow-by-blow wiring demo with photos

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by hotzlaw, Aug 4, 2013.

1. slidejob

slidejob Junior Member

OK, so if I understand you correctly the cap will have 1 contact to tone body & 1 to lug with a 2nd wire from the lug connecting to the volume lug that the other cap lead would of been connected to?

2. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

3. slidejob

slidejob Junior Member

4. sibo

sibo Member

Thanks a lot. I will try this with my LP with SD SH2 neck and creamery wide range bucker (baby '71) bridge. Gonna be very interesting!

Again, thanks hotzlaw!

5. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

:thumb:

6. slidejob

slidejob Junior Member

Hey hotzlaw

Just finished your JP mode, you may recall I am doing a semi-hollow 335 copy conversion. I will have to make an access hole in the rear as there is no way I can fit the assembly through the front. So before I do the final assembly, if you don't mind, I have a couple of questions.

With all pots in the normal position each volume pot controls it's pup when in it's single position. But when both pups are activated, either volume pot will control both pups. Is this normal?

When pots are pulled, the neck volume pot is the only control for volume. Is that normal?

Tone pots seem to work as normal.

I hope these questions make sense

Thanks in advance.

Slidejob

7. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

Hey Slidejob,

No problem.

When all of the pots are pushed in the controls work exactly like in a normal Les Paul. When the switch is in the middle position, bridge vol controls the bridge pup, and neck vol controls the the neck put, ditto for the tones. Keep in mind that when the switch is in the middle position and EITHER the bridge OR the neck vol pot is turned down to zero, there is no signal from either pup. This is normal, this setup is not a so-called "independent volume control".

But you should definitely be able to blend the two pups using their respective volume controls when the switch is in the middle position and all pots are pushed in. Are you testing with the pups in a guitar? - it might be kind or hard to tell exactly what's happening otherwise.

As to the next question, pulling the neck tone pot up puts the pickups in series (normally they are wired in parallel). In this situation the neck volume and tone act as a master controls, and it doesn't matter where the switch is - both pickups are "on" because the circuit has them wired in series.

Have a look to see if this fits with what you are hearing, and good luck with the rest of the project!

8. slidejob

slidejob Junior Member

Hey hotzlaw

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Mod seems to work as you described. The original setup controlled each pups volume independently in center switch position, so that was what I was expecting.

I had a chance to finish today & do a quick practice, love all the different combos for tone, I'm sure it will take me a while to choose the ones I like best.

I have enclosed a pic of the Delta King with one of my favorite practice amps, a hacked 1940 Silvertone radio pushing 6 watts through a 10" speaker.

I would encourage anyone with decent soldering skills to give it a go, worth the time and effort.

Thanks again to all who are involved in this mod.

Another satisfied customer.

Slidejob

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...81054120.59798.224116894387592&type=1&theater

1 person likes this.
  9. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Cool stuff - like the trick with the lugs for earthing, I always have trouble getting earth connections to the back of pots

I recently had my 2003 LP Classic wired up with some BKPs and JP wiring but I paid my local tech to do it. He put a treble bleed on the bridge volume too, which I like.

At first I was a bit taken a-back that everything cut out if I selected series mode and the 'bridge' position on the switch but lately I've been running the bridge pickup humbucker in series with the neck split to a single coil - which gives a great, beefy sound - and the switch then acts as a kill switch, which is kinda fun. :)

10. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

Awesome, glad that you like it.

I just LOVE that amp!:applause:

11. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

Thanks for the comment, the earthing lugs might not be "vintage correct" but are easy to do, and more than 1 year later are still doing their thing.

Treble bleed is something that I would also consider, should my soldering hand get "twitchy" again. :)

12. slidejob

slidejob Junior Member

13. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

14. slidejob

slidejob Junior Member

hotzlaw & gang

I gotta' give you a quick update.

When I finished JP mod & tested it I was just concerned all pots worked correctly.

Spent time today giving the axe a good setup with 13-56 strings, and did ohm readings in most of the combos.

My OE pups read 8.50 neck & 9.00 bridge. With the different combos I'm getting 4.30 - 17.00+. I also used NOS Sprague orange drop caps .15 bridge & .22 neck.

The tones I'm getting from this axe now is CRAZY!!!!

Had to let you guys know!!!!

:dude: :laugh2: :applause:

15. hotzlaw

hotzlaw Senior Member

Hey Slidejob,

Glad to hear it.

I'd like to take this opportunity to add my own testimonial, after a little over a year of having the mod in my Tribute +.

I'm still using the different possibilities a lot, depending on what I'm playing, and find that by now the controls have become second nature.

It was really well worth the effort, and I have no intention of going back to the "stock" wiring.
    I would really miss the option of adding some "spice" to the tone in the way that the JP-like wiring offers, that I've come to take for granted by now when playing this particular guitar.

:dude:

16. w5rjh

w5rjh Junior Member

great jp wiring finally I got my tone back on my neck volume when I reduce volume.
    Thanks!

17. {JAKE}

{JAKE} Senior Member

Where'd all the pics go in the first post? This thread isn't much help without them.

18. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Looks like Jonseys JP Rig...looks like it finally happened JB, ah well ;)

But those ground tabs I do not trust, mechanical bonds for grounding is prob. not my recommendation, I'd stick with a chemical bond personally

19. w5rjh

w5rjh Junior Member

Yea
    I did solder all my ground connects but other than that it works great.
    is jonseys the one he has in the wiring library?

20. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

No Jonsey was trying to keep it his design, i'll have to look at his again and compare but looks about right from memory, no dead spots, etc...

Its just the game, can't patent such a thing but feel he deserves some credit :)