‘Three-parent babies’ are ethically permissible, U.S. panel says

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by circles, Feb 4, 2016.

1. circles

circles Senior Member

What was once science fiction is now coming true. How soon till Designer Babies? More human than human.

‘Three-parent babies’ are ethically permissible, U.S. panel says

It is ethically permissible to create “three-parent babies” in clinical experiments, as long as certain guidelines are followed, a U.S. panel of experts has concluded.

These babies result from a procedure known as mitochondrial replacement therapy, mitochondrial transfer or three-person IVF. The technique aims to prevent rare genetic diseases that cripple energy-producing mitochondria from being passed from a mother to her child.

Mitochondrial transfer is already legal in the United Kingdom. But the U.S. Food and Drug Administration requested that a panel convened by the Institute of Medicine investigate whether ethical considerations should prevent clinical studies in the United States.

For the procedure, researchers extract and discard the nucleus of a donor egg containing healthy mitochondria and then insert the nucleus from a mother's egg. Sperm from the father fertilizes the egg, creating an embryo in which the bulk of the genetic information come from the mother and father, but a small amount of DNA comes from the donor’s mitochondria.

In a report issued February 3, and summarized in the journal Science, the IOM panel concludes that it is ethical to conduct the experiments, but recommends limiting the technique to making baby boys. That would prevent “germline modification” of future generations because mitochondria are usually inherited from the mother. The committee also recommends the technique be limited to women with serious mitochondrial diseases, and that regulators should take the mother’s health and the expertise of the scientists into account before approving studies.

The FDA must now decide whether to allow the experiments to move forward.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/sc...re-ethically-permissible-us-panel-says?tgt=nr

Engel likes this.
  2. danohat

danohat Senior Member

Neat

1 person likes this.
  3. EDS1275

EDS1275 Banned

I keep saying this.... evolution of humans will be done by humans. There will be genetically superior humans created a lot sooner than later... mostly by only the wealthiest who can afford to... and everyone else can kiss their asses goodbye

3 people like this.
  4. Engel

Engel Premium Member

Want to see a human in a transition of evolution?

Look in the mirror. We are all evolving.

1 person likes this.
  5. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoAzpa1x7jU[/ame]

5 people like this.
  6. DRF

DRF Senior Member

:hmm: just thinking quickly here, for the last 50-100? years our tech -as in easy modern living (artificial?) has allowed certain elements of the human condition to step forward where before they never would have survived.

eg. #1 : I was just watching a video (about vegans and has a lot of followers- I'm not into that and just came across it) and a very effeminate man in the video actually said that the number one threat to humanity is the aggressive he-man types. Uum actually effeminate guy one of the reasons why we -and you got here and this far is because of testosterone boosted he-men.

On a side note, yeah like women and other effeminate guys don't eat animal products or consume as much as men. The bullsh!t out there is astonishing.

7. EDS1275

EDS1275 Banned

True. Point being though that now the extremely slow processes of natural evolution now can be taken over via direct genetic engineering.... and not some random way as in nature... but engineering new species of human by specific design. Natural selection processes will be no longer valid. It will be usurped by technology

1 person likes this.
  8. Jakeislove

Jakeislove Senior Member

Anyone read the article and comments the woman made?

Knows she has a genetic disease, has a baby and passes it on, has another baby with in vitro, then proceeds to complain that the new technology wasn't available at the time of in vitro. How selfish.

2 people like this.
  9. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

Leave it to a bunch pointy-headed scientists to make threesomes obsolete. Thanks guys.

3 people like this.
  10. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

Methinks the midichlorian replacement therapy is a path to the dark side of the force.

1 person likes this.
  11. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. ZWILDZR1

ZWILDZR1 Senior Member

Well of course it is! Anybody want to try duel ownership of your 2016 R9? Hey it's my turn so give it up. :applause: I am totally serious about this. I will play it gingerly and caress it like it's mine. Cause after you send it I think you gave up all parental rights. I will consult a lawyer to make sure.:laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  13. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Of course, we're impatient. Evolution takes eons, we've only got hours.

2 people like this.