‘Star Trek 3 Returning The ‘Spirit’ of Original TV Series

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by NRBQ, Mar 27, 2015.

1. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

As a bonafide "Trekkie" I was encouraged to hear that the new Star Trek movie (being co-written by Simon Pegg) is going to more closely follow the spirit of the original series. The new crew are now on their 5 year mission to explore Strange New Words and Civilizations, To Seek Out Something Or Other <(Maybe hard rolls from the Deli)... To Boldly Go... Where No Man Has Gone Before (sorry Ladies, this is a mans world-James Brown) so it looks like not only the story line will follow that tenant but so will the interpersonal relationships that really drove the original.

I'm a James Bond freak and an TOS freak so whenever either franchise puts out a movie, I'm more than there. James Bond, James Kirk, Top Jimmy swings!

So here's the article if interested.

&#8216;Star Trek 3&#8242; Returning The &#8216;Spirit&#8217; of Original TV Series

Star Trek 3, has had a long and troubled road to production. With J.J. Abrams (who helmed the first two installments) gone to a galaxy far, far away, Paramount initially pegged series writer/producer Roberto Orci to direct, only for him to depart the project late last year. Even though Fast and Furious filmmaker Justin Lin was quickly brought on board as a replacement, Orci leaving had the unwanted collateral of a last-minute rewrite of the script, making times on the U.S.S. Enterprise very chaotic as the film tries to make its July 2016 release date.

Behind-the-scenes tensions aside, Star Trek 3 has the added task of rebuilding the goodwill that was generated by Abrams&#8217; first film, since 2013&#8242;s Star Trek Into Darkness proved divisive amongst hardcore fans. Though the sequel was well-received critically and became a box office hit, many moviegoers took issue with the story&#8217;s derivative nature (copying Wrath of Khan) and the extreme methods the team used to preserve some of their &#8220;secrets.&#8221; With Star Wars on the comeback trail, the pressure is on Lin and company to deliver something worthwhile

Though Abrams&#8217; works helped rejuvenate the brand in the eyes of casual moviegoers, the Trekkies took issue with the decision to steer the new films more towards Star Wars-esque action, which seemingly conflicted with the tone of the original TV series. That program earned a passionate fan base with its stories of exploration in the far corners of the universe, illustrating how people of different species could work together to advance mankind and make the world a better place.

Those hoping that the new movies eventually honor that tradition will surely be pleased by the latest update on the project, which comes from co-writer and cast member Simon Pegg. While speaking with Spinoff Online, he briefly touched on the tone he and Doug Jung are striving for in their screenplay, which apparently gels with what made Star Trek so beloved nearly five decades ago:

&#8220;I think we just want to take it forward with the spirit of the TV show. And it&#8217;s a story about frontierism and adventure and optimism and fun, and that&#8217;s where we want to take it, you know. Where no man has gone before &#8211; where no one has gone before, sensibly corrected for a slightly more enlightened generation. But yeah, that&#8217;s the mood at the moment.&#8221;

Pegg, firmly entrenched in geek culture, is more than familiar with the overall Trek lore (not just including his appearances as the new Scotty), meaning that he could very well be a &#8220;perfect fit&#8221; for returning the franchise back to its roots. His vision for what the upcoming film should entail has excited Abrams (still serving as a producer), so it certainly sounds like Pegg&#8217;s on the track to crafting a memorable movie. Currently, it&#8217;s unknown what exactly Pegg and Jung have in mind (it may involve Klingons), but this development should be promising and comforting for longtime fans.

s Star Trek 3 quickly approaches the start of principal photography, perhaps the cloud of doom and gloom that has hovered over it can finally be lifted. The exciting possibilities stemming from a new adventure in the vein of the original TV show would normally be enough, but Lin is eyeing big names like Idris Elba to round out his cast and give the Enterprise crew a formidable villain to face. Fingers crossed Star Trek can have a James Bond-style 50th anniversary party and soar to unprecedented heights next summer.

Star Trek 3 will be in theaters July 8, 2016.

J-E-M, Bluesky, bulletproof and 7 others like this.
  2. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I liked the first two films. I also liked TOS. If I want to see movies reminiscent of TOS, I can watch it all on Netflix.

Let's see, the first two movies did well in the box office. The two first movies did well with the general public. Hey I have an idea, let's screw with it to try to satisfy a group of fans that will just find reasons to complain about it anyway.

3. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

I was hoping that JJ would direct the third.

4. igore67

igore67 Senior Member

The new cast isn't bad at all.

1 person likes this.
  5. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I liked the first 2, but this one could be really good. No old Spock or British Khan. Let's get back to kicking Klingon ass

1 person likes this.
  6. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Are you trying to turn this into another Gibson thread?

J/K:laugh2:

2 people like this.
  7. hecube

hecube Senior Member

No cheese-grate forehead please...

2 people like this.
  8. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Well if they're following TOS and Enterprise the Klingons probably won't have the weird forehead.

One of my favorite parts of Enterprise is how they explained why the Klingons foreheads transitioned. They actually did a great job at it.

2 people like this.
  9. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

Screw the original series. Abrams finally gave the series appeal to others besides 40 year olds who still live with their mother.

1 person likes this.
  10. Pennyman

Pennyman Senior Member

Is the fact that Simon Pegg has been brought on to help write the script supposed to make me feel better about the chances of us getting a quality film worthy of the Star Trek badge?

Hollywood, do NOT **** this up!

11. hecube

hecube Senior Member

I don't remember that.

What was the "official" reason?

12. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

Relax buddy, they're just trying to make a good film, I like the first two too, and I'm sure I'm going to like the next one. No reason to get bent before it it's even filmed. I'm sure they will do a great job of satisfying the many types of fans that love Star Trek. I'm just happy they are making more.

1 person likes this.
  13. YoshiJimbo

YoshiJimbo Senior Member

I liked the new cast in the first two films and the stories were great. I sure hope they get the 3rd one right!

14. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

After humans failed miserably (again) at creating better people thru science, the Klingons stole some of the superman embryos and used it with their own people. It was a catastrophe. It created a Klingon plague. The Klingons who were affected lost their cranium ridges (ie the klingons in TOS).

It really was a very good story plot.

2 people like this.
  15. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Actually I've always been positive about all the films. I'm just hoping they don't go too crazy trying to please the hardcore for they will never be pleased anyway.

1 person likes this.
  16. Drew224

Drew224 "Obvious BS Artist" V.I.P. Member

So I guess I won't be living at home at age 40 then? I've always loved the original series.

17. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

Or it could have just been the makeup department at Paramount.

4 people like this.
  18. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

That would have made for some bad television :)

19. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

miss-type

20. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

Speaking of Klingons, they really aren't so tough, once when I was a teenager a couple of Klingon pals came over to the house to hang out. Well one of them got dirt all over my moms "pretty room" (it's a Long Island thing) and my mom beat those guys down and right out of the house with her kitchen broom. They were no match for good ole mom. She said "you do that again, I'm gonna Klingon your asses till they're beat red, GOT IT? " yup that's what she said alright.