MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Buy, Sell or Trade > Vendor Classifieds
MLP Meet 2014 LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree1039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #241 (permalink)
MLP Vendor

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Re: RUDE MOOD Amplifiers

If you give a mouse a cookie......

You are going to have so much fun playing with settings, and tubes, and guitars. Each new thing will be the best ever! At least that is how it is at my house
mudfinger likes this.
randelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #242 (permalink)
Lefty Phillips

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by randelli View Post
If you give a mouse a cookie......

You are going to have so much fun playing with settings, and tubes, and guitars. Each new thing will be the best ever! At least that is how it is at my house
Before I forget: Love the new avatar and motto!

The EL34 is going back into the box. Credit where credit is due, those JJs are pretty nice sounding tubes! Good call for your OEM supplier.

Right now, I've got a high-gain Bassman and a Deluxe/Super going at the same time. Pretty freakin' stoked right now, just sayin'.
River and blues24 like this.

Lefty Phillips Trio on Facebook
Lefty Phillips Trio on ReverbNation
Lefty Phillips Trio on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard de Chardin
“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.”
mudfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #243 (permalink)

Thanked 1,098 Times in 87 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

I beat you to the 6L6 by a couple of hours. I don't have to vocabulary or experience to describe the difference, but it's staying.
mudfinger likes this.
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #244 (permalink)
Lefty Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
I beat you to the 6L6 by a couple of hours. I don't have to vocabulary or experience to describe the difference, but it's staying.
Might be a relevant time to point out that Marshalls are hot-rodded Bassmans. Might also be relevant to note that Supers and Bassmans came stock with 4x10 cabinets, and I'm realizing that those 10" speakers played a big role in creating the legendary status of both those amps. I fired up the DR for a bit tonight, just to clear my ears, and immediately missed the frequency response of those 10" baskets.
River, randelli and RAG7890 like this.

Quote:
“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.”
Unread 02-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #245 (permalink)
Tom

Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Now don't you guys go and break them amps. Randy will freak out on ya!
River and mudfinger like this.
tag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #246 (permalink)
MLP Vendor

Actually, I think it is pretty cool that it can be so versatile. A lot of people love the vintage marshall plexi/bluesbreaker sound. Probably an equal amount do not - hence the Fender & Marshall camps.

Now we know that if the Marshall sound is not your favorite you can easily swap a tube and get a different feel.

Have you tried the EL34 in the MOOD side?
mudfinger likes this.
Unread 02-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #247 (permalink)
Lefty Phillips

Quote:
Actually, I think it is pretty cool that it can be so versatile. A lot of people love the vintage marshall plexi/bluesbreaker sound. Probably an equal amount do not - hence the Fender & Marshall camps.

Now we know that if the Marshall sound is not your favorite you can easily swap a tube and get a different feel.

Have you tried the EL34 in the MOOD side?
Haven't, no. My plan at this point is to leave well enough alone( ), and roll tubes through the Rude amp. I can easily imagine getting just a little bit more loveliness from the Mood with old tubes, but I don't want to mess with it too much, as good as it already sounds.

Going to play with V1 today. Prolly all day today. Most likely, for a few days, even.

EDIT: It does bear mentioning again, how versatile this amp is in terms of allowing the player to reset the Rude's voice for a high-gain "British" or "American" sound, with a simple tube swap; the difference is clearly audible, and it even changes how the amp responds to touch. It's a really sweet feature.

Quote:
Unread 02-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #248 (permalink)
Lefty Phillips

Having some fun with tubes!

I swapped out the JJ rectifier tube with a cokebottle 5U4G, and even (temporarily) scavenged a couple 7025 from the DR for the Rude's pre-amp.

I've also tried out a couple of old 12AX7s in V1 and V2, which sounded great, and even an old 12AU7 in V1, which sounded great at low settings, but squealed when I cranked the preamp gain. Eh, they can't all be a perfect fit.

I love this amp!
River likes this.

Quote:
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #249 (permalink)

I'm running a 12AU7 in V1 right now, and I think it's going to stay there. It quite changed the cranked nature of the Rude, in a way that suits my style. It's not squealing at all.
mudfinger likes this.
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #250 (permalink)
Lefty Phillips

Quote:
I'm running a 12AU7 in V1 right now, and I think it's going to stay there. It quite changed the cranked nature of the Rude, in a way that suits my style. It's not squealing at all.
I might try another, but I'm so smitten with the sound of the 7025s, I'm going to give all the 12AX7 substitutes a try first.

Boxed up the JJ 6L6 I was using in the Rude, and the JJ 5U4GB; gonna keep the JJ ECC83s out for some comparison clips in the RM and DR.

Quote:
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #251 (permalink)

Handsome couple, ain't they?

Unread 02-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #252 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

i personally think they would be even more handsome in a video showcasing some sweet communication between the two.
mudfinger likes this.
frollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #253 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frollo View Post
i personally think they would be even more handsome in a video showcasing some sweet communication between the two.
Here's some audio - a raw, single-mic room recording of a practice session with no post-processing, not a "tone sample".

SoundClick artist: River Bottom Blues Band - Goin' To Mexico

My archaic Internet connection makes uploading video a royal pain.
Quill, mudfinger and frollo like this.
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #254 (permalink)

what happened to mudfinger? i thought he was supposed to be putting up some videos as well. apparently he played till his fingers bled, and continued to play until he bled to death.
mudfinger likes this.
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #255 (permalink)

Quote:
what happened to mudfinger? i thought he was supposed to be putting up some videos as well. apparently he played till his fingers bled, and continued to play until he bled to death.

He's waiting for speaker break-in.
mudfinger likes this.
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #256 (permalink)
Lefty Phillips

Quote:
I bet that would please a few people!

One of, if not the very, first video clips I'm going to make will be using my vintage DR, with vintage tubes and fully-softened speakers, as a reference point for comparison with the Mood.

As nice as the JJs are (and they are nice, nice enough for me to keep on hand, which says something, I think, given how many old tubes I have...), they don't sound as sweet and harmonically detailed as the vintage tubes I've been rolling through the Rude. That process will take a few days; haven't even gotten to playing with the Mood's tubes yet.

By the time I'm done with that fun, the speakers should be softened up well enough to give all yall a proper demonstration of what the Rude Mood can really do. It IS epic; as nice as each amp sounds on its own, the moment I twist up the volume on the 2nd amp, the sound becomes fuller, richer, and more detailed.

I'm also building a guitar, going to school full-time, and separating my studio apartment into living quarters and a music room. We'll have vids to ogle and study pretty soon all the same.
frollo likes this.

Quote:
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #257 (permalink)
MLP Vendor

Quote:
Here's some audio - a raw, single-mic room recording of a practice session with no post-processing, not a "tone sample".

SoundClick artist: River Bottom Blues Band - Goin' To Mexico

My archaic Internet connection makes uploading video a royal pain.
I really like how the noted section is clean and the chord-ed section is crunchy in the verses! Nice phrasing! That is what it is all about. Not just having both sides present; but learning how to work the pressure and attack to get each side to be just where you need them to be.

You almost have to learn how to play the amp - and you figured it out pretty darn quick

Thanks for sharing
River and mudfinger like this.
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #258 (permalink)
Lefty Phillips

Quote:
I really like how the noted section is clean and the chord-ed section is crunchy in the verses! Nice phrasing! That is what it is all about. Not just having both sides present; but learning how to work the pressure and attack to get each side to be just where you need them to be.

You almost have to learn how to play the amp - and you figured it out pretty darn quick

Thanks for sharing
He does do some clever stuff in there that shows off how each side can be induced to dominate the other simply through dynamic control of the guitar.

But it's the latter point you made that really got my attention. For ANY tube amp, learning to play it, by which I mean to say, learning to work the guitar as a voltage generator instead of as an (illusionary) sound source, is a key aspect of using one's amp to the fullest. It never fails to amuse me when I see players with really expensive guitars using an inferior amp, especially when they complain about how they're not getting good tonez.

Quote:
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #259 (permalink)
JMV

Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to JMV

Quote:
RUDE MOOD: The nastiest clean tone you ever heard!

Ah yes, SRV, another great that used multiple amps to get his signature sound. Believe it or not; I did not think about SRV when I was naming the amp. I was looking for a name that was two words, would rhyme, and describe each side. Mean & Clean, Fire & Rain, Red & Blue, and multiple other rotten names. RUDE MOOD fit on so many levels.

I remember when Premier Guitar interviewed me at the LA Amp Show. He says, "So, with a name like RUDE MOOD, one would ask if it conjures up any voodoo from a certain guitar player". I blinked. There was a long pregnant pause while I suddenly realized what I had done. Totally caught me off guard and ruined my whole train of thought.

Luckily Mudfinger came in right after the interview and things have not been the same since!
I remember you saying the name was completely unintentional - what a funny coincidence! Name aside, I still have to image he would have really loved playing with this amp, with the Rude side slinging gain-filled tones and the Mood side throwing out blistering cleans.

At some point, I really do want one of these amps. It'll be a long time coming since we have a baby on the way and we're moving to my wife being a stay-at-home mom, but it'll happen at some point. After playing the amp at the Houston MLP meet and just scratching the surface of it being used as an instrument itself, I was hooked. Those tones haven't disappeared from my mind yet, and that really says something.
mudfinger and bilbarstow like this.
Unread 02-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #260 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfinger View Post
I bet that would please a few people!

One of, if not the very, first video clips I'm going to make will be using my vintage DR, with vintage tubes and fully-softened speakers, as a reference point for comparison with the Mood.

As nice as the JJs are (and they are nice, nice enough for me to keep on hand, which says something, I think, given how many old tubes I have...), they don't sound as sweet and harmonically detailed as the vintage tubes I've been rolling through the Rude. That process will take a few days; haven't even gotten to playing with the Mood's tubes yet.

By the time I'm done with that fun, the speakers should be softened up well enough to give all yall a proper demonstration of what the Rude Mood can really do. It IS epic; as nice as each amp sounds on its own, the moment I twist up the volume on the 2nd amp, the sound becomes fuller, richer, and more detailed.

I'm also building a guitar, going to school full-time, and separating my studio apartment into living quarters and a music room. We'll have vids to ogle and study pretty soon all the same.
i hear you on that one brother. Work full time, going back to school full time to finish my degree, building two acoustics at the moment, designing and starting an electric build after i finish building my thickness sander, designing and defining the tone i want to create for the pickups in said electric, and also building an amp for said electric. To top it all off i'm having my first child in june!

Needless to say i enjoy hobbies / projects which is why i'm so interested in this amp, and the amazing persona it has (it is beyond tone, and sound for me), it is magical. I will fully admit i'm not even close to a good player, but i have listened to a great many amps, players, and this one caught my ear within the first few seconds of the videos i have seen.
mudfinger likes this.
Unread 02-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #261 (permalink)

Quote:
To top it all off i'm having my first child in june!

This piece is a bit more dynamic, if also one I'm in an earlier stage of learning: SoundClick artist: River Bottom Blues Band - What Is And What Should Never Be
mudfinger likes this.
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #262 (permalink)

can't these darn speakers burnthemselves in, they are holding up progress!
mudfinger likes this.
Unread 02-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #263 (permalink)
Lefty Phillips

Quote:
can't these darn speakers burnthemselves in, they are holding up progress!
Speakers are coming along nicely, it's the tubes I'm having fun with, and it's the best kinda progress.

frollo likes this.

Quote:
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #264 (permalink)
MLP Vendor

NOTE TO SELF: Buy some funner tubes!
mudfinger likes this.
Unread 02-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #265 (permalink)

Giggin' the RM:

Warming up, I treated the audience to some Rude-heavy riffage a la Communication Breakdown, Whole Lotta Love, and Livin', Lovin' Maid. That went over gratifyingly well, and one highly appreciative audience member shouted out: "Hey, aren't you wearing the wrong hat to be playing that kind of stuff?" I laughed and replied "Yeah, that's kind of the point!".

Good times.
randelli, Quill, mudfinger and 2 others like this.
Unread 02-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #266 (permalink)
Lefty Phillips

Got mah tubez all sorted out, at least until I snag some nice old 7025s and 6L6GCs.

V1 has a GE 5814, V2 has a Westinghouse 12AX7, V3 has a Baldwin 12AX7, and V4 has a Sovtek 12AX7. Rude has a Sylvania 6L6GB, and Mood has the stock JJ. Rectifier is also stock JJ for now; all of my good 5U4 type specimens have cokebottle glass.

Anyways, working on getting a good sound with my videocam right now.
River, randelli and bilbarstow like this.

Quote:
Unread 02-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #267 (permalink)
MLP Vendor

I can't wait!!!!!!
mudfinger likes this.
Unread 02-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #268 (permalink)
MLP Vendor

Quote:
I think your photographer had one drink too many.....
River, mudfinger and bilbarstow like this.
Unread 02-25-2012, 12:46 AM   #269 (permalink)
Lefty Phillips

Quote:
I think your photographer had one drink too many.....
What seems to be the trouble? Pic looks just fine to me...
River likes this.

Quote:
Unread 02-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #270 (permalink)
Lefty Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMV View Post
I remember you saying the name was completely unintentional - what a funny coincidence! Name aside, I still have to image he would have really loved playing with this amp, with the Rude side slinging gain-filled tones and the Mood side throwing out blistering cleans.

At some point, I really do want one of these amps. It'll be a long time coming since we have a baby on the way and we're moving to my wife being a stay-at-home mom, but it'll happen at some point. After playing the amp at the Houston MLP meet and just scratching the surface of it being used as an instrument itself, I was hooked. Those tones haven't disappeared from my mind yet, and that really says something.
Had you ever played with a multi-amp setup before trying the Rude Mood?

Also, grats on the upcoming New Baby Day.

Quote: