MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > Tonefreaks
MLP Meet 2014 LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree194Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

How to Use the Controls on a Les Paul

Because a couple of people asked about it, here is the stuff I wrote in another thread about using the controls on a Les Paul. The OP asked how to use the controls to get sounds like Page and other classic players. My reply includes some alternative suggestions on how you might EQ your amp to get a different range of noises, and get a little bit more out of the neck and middle positions.

Hope it's of some use. Here it is:

First, your volume controls do not just control your loudness, but also your level of distortion (‘gain’ or ‘overdrive’). If your guitar has modern wiring, lowering the volume will also reduce the available treble, as if you’d turned the tone down too. If you have 1950s wiring this effect is far less prominent.

Secondly, your tone control not only cuts your treble, it also reduces the amount of ‘space’ your guitar seems to take up in the mix. Turning your tone down can effectively pull you ‘back’ into the mix.

Enough basics. Here’s some pointers.

EQ Your Amp for the Neck
Most of the time you’ve probably set up your amp for a good tone from the bridge. Try this instead and see what happens.

1. Turn all your volumes and tones up to 10.
2. Select the neck pick up.
3. Adjust your amp so you get a good soloing tone for that pickup.
4. Switch to bridge. This will be too bright. Ice-pick through ear territory.
5. Tame bridge with tone control, until you’ve got a good soloing tone.

You now have your ‘boost’ sounds. Now turn the bridge vol down (about 75-80%), until you’ve got a good crunching rhythm sound. If you have modern wiring you may need to turn up the tone a little at this stage. You could now play the rhythm on the bridge, and switch to the neck for the solo.

Solo on Bridge, cleans on Neck
Turn up your bridge tone and vol. That’s your solo sound (ice pick and all). Turn your neck vol down to about 50%. If your amp is any good, that should be nearly clean. If you’ve got 1950s wiring, it won’t be muddy either. You may now play the intro to Since I’ve Been Lovin’ You on the neck pick up. Switch to bridge for the signature lick. Back to neck, or turn down bridge to 50-60%. For a more sensible bridge pick up sound, just turn the tone down a fraction to clip some of the hairs off it.

If your amp is good, it should be sensitive enough to clean up when you turn down, and also to clean up if you back off with your right hand an pick gently. Use both these effects to control your tone.

Middle positions

Leave your bridge in its rhythm setting, then switch to middle. Now turn down the neck to nearly nothing, then slowly turn it back up (to about 50%). Somewhere across this range you’ll hear three fairly distinct tones. It’ll start out sounding like the bridge on its own. Next, it will fill out (i.e. get some extra bass), and it might do this quite suddenly. This is a really useful sound for soloing, because it basically sounds like the bridge pickup, but it’s fuller and meatier without being in any way muddy. As you keep turning up the neck vol it will start to sound more like both pick ups. This can be sort of nasal, but quite good.

Once you get both pick ups to the same vol (~ 75%) you’ve got the classic middle sound. Many people find this a bit muddy, but if you EQd the amp for your neck pick up, you should be OK.
>Photi G<, *balikpapan*, .Chris., 1959lespaul, 1981 LPC, 335blues, 59 Burst, 5F6-A, 6_string _attack, 79standard, 93foxbody, acstorfer, adkima00, aethius, AJ6strinsgsting, ajimrahal, Alex B. Light, Alex_SG, AmazingJourney, amitare, Ampex456, android13, andrukit, antonius, Arthur, arturocivit, Asdain, asher67, Avocet, AXE, axepilot, b3john, Barcham, Barty, baumwolle, bdavies24, Bemis, ben.jammin, benecol, berniedocherty, Bigneil, bigsnaketex, bjs, Bladesg, blues.junior, bluesguitar65, BluesLover, BOBBO, Bobby and The Devil, bossaddict, Brian in NJ, brianugly, CannonsAhoy, captainbraindamage, cessnapilot182, CGP, ChaoBreeder, chappers, Charley2004, chuck, colchar, crazylachesis, CRAZYokiSKATER, cristi tanasescu, Crusader Rabbit, ctkarslake, CTWoodWkr, Curlymaple, Curmudgeon, Damien, danloves59lespauls, DanoJS, Dark Helmet, darkbluemurder, Davet, dbtk44, denikarabenc, Dexter.Sinister, dgriff, dhayzoos, diceman, dickjonesify, dmantsio, dodger916, donlumber, dotnetguy, dph42, Drew224, duck2k, dylan.rocks.all.nite.long, Echo, EcoWarrior, ed1996, eddy999, edhalen, El Raymundo, ElhazGuy, Emiel, Epii, epiLesP7, epilespaul2000, Eric Smith, espdeangibson, evolucidity, Ewm, ExpatBrit, fatb0t, ferg, Fireproof, fjabjr, flvinny521, Footpop, fortwinnie, free2meLP, fsenseman, Fuelish, Gangsta_rick, garreffster, GBLEV, Gene46, Gg2, gibbykohner, GibsonFan, GibsonUSA, Gibson_Ed, Gilmon, Gitka, glynneCicada, gmack73, Goldtop75, goodvibes, Graham H, Gretsch&Gibson, GrouchyDog, gsocarvalho, gtr-tek, Guitar Freak, guitar4eva, GuitarMechanic, guitarsmark, GuitarToneFreak, Gunner, Gvecchi, HBachDK, Hector Arcadius, HellfireLP, HellRot, Hexadec, Hope, Howard2k, hrfdez, Ibt999, Iceman0124, idroins, if6was9, ijustdontgiveaf, illiniknick, ilovemypaul, Ilya-v, Infamous, InfiniteeZ, insp.clouseau, JakekaJ16, Jariot, Jason, jason_mazzy, Jaysfaires, jaysmall, JBranch, jchabalk, jcoat007, jcsk8, Jefcon1, jeff_farkas, jiveturkey1, jo07, Jody, joeobrien, johnbonzo, Johnnywilliams, jonamojo, Jonathan, JorgeTeixeira, jp1969, JTS550, jukedaddy, JustMe, Kaicho8888, kamikazimunkey, kbaird, keith longstaff, Kensei, KentishDan, kestrou, Kevin B, Kevin James, kevinpaul, KickArs, kidmo, klaus k, Kolera, Konrad Chen, L.A.L.P., lachlan, landonblevins1995, Lannes, Laservampire, Les Blake, Les Pole, lespaulnmarshall, Liam, lifele55, Luke122, manyfacets, marcus_brodie, marson, MarybLouz, Mattdive, matthornet, McDegga, McGillea, McLoud, mdl70, Metalrulez, Metamatic, mgenet, michael.guzzi, mikedt, mikelfont, mikemac, mikey, mitchbob9, mockingbird, mojofinkie, Mookakian, mrmk1v, MrMoolah, mrnutman, MrRhoads, mrwhipper, MrWiggles, Mstele97, Musashi, MusicMan, MUSTANGCAT, Namelyguitar, nar, NeilVox, NeptuneBlue, noahscircle, northernguitarguy, Oberin27, OBX351, Ol' Crooked Fingers, oldsnoringrottie, onehippie, Overture, PakWaan, parts, Passfan, PaulieV, pavs, pentadactylon, peterp, PINKBITS, Pink_Floyd, planks, Pokerstar, Publius pro tem, quadrophenia, Quill, R8R6Ben, r9in09, rasj76, RCarroll1993, Redstone, rhase, Rhust, rhythm, Ride on a Pony, rikko, River, RNP, rob9, RobP, rockguitar41, romano38, SainT-314, samo, Sawboy, searchforpeg, SelLuap, senorledanny, SexyGibson, SFK, sgberry, SGguy, Shai`tan, shaker, Silverbursted, siore, skateboardtomygrave, SKATTERBRANE, skipper58, skydog, sla, SlagJones, Slappy2x, Slasher, sleepyEDB, snaredrum, sonar1, Spectre, SsH, st.bede, stealthelephant, steeler80, steppin_razor, Stillhouse, stinger, StoneD, stone_gossard, studio deluxe, Sudetenland, suedehead, SvdH, tamsay, tang350, tazzboy, TCB, TColumbia37, teeloh, tele52, The.Daryl.Zero, TheCubanSpy, thedonal, TheGray, theJTL, thenowhereman, TheZeppelinKid1991, Thorin, Thumpalumpacus, Tim Plains, Tim., TomG10-7, Tonebuddy, ToneQuest75, toppsseller, Tozatron, trevorus, triguy98, Tsevos, TT Zop, Tughan, Tuya Customs, twinrider1, underivy, UpToEleven59, USAPatriot, username, VictorZA, vkennedy, vladmaximus, voodooChile, Webtroll, Who, winexprt, Xavier_32, xsouldriverx, X–Ray, Yoooder, your idol, ZeppHead
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Re: How to Use the Controls on a Les Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by siore
Gotta unlearn my old ways now. You gotta be quick with your hands though, right? What used to be just a stomp of a second, you gotta rush with your fingers. But I think I like this way better, in terms of better tone and being free from messing with the amp and stompbox settings too much.
I'm glad it was of some use to you.
You're right, you do have to be quick with your right hand. But you'd be amazed how proficient you become. Have a look at this vid:

In this one, Garry Moore's right hand returns to his controls after every lick, as if by reflex. He's riding his volumes all the way home.

Good luck with it, man.

cheers,
Splat
Unread 06-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

And:

Before I forget again, there's one thing about the middle setting that I forgot to mention. It’s a lot easier to use than it sounds to describe it!

If you set your neck so it’s basically clean (~ 50%), and then set the bridge to about 75%, that will give you the sounds-like-the-bridge-pickup-but-fuller tone. As I said before, that’s a good rhythm or lead sound.

From that basic position, if you want to get a boost, all you have to do is adjust ONE volume control up to 100%. Either will work. If the bridge, you get the biting sound, if the neck you get the fuller sound. When you’ve finished, simply turn that volume back to where it was.

Simple.

In other words, once you’ve worked out your pre-sets, using the Les Paul this way is as simple as playing a Telecaster.
Unread 06-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Good on ya Spatt, great post.
Unread 06-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Gary is a madman when it comes to volume control fiddling. He's the reason they invented volume pedals I believe.
Dagumol likes this.
mrpesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpesca View Post
Gary is a madman when it comes to volume control fiddling. He's the reason they invented volume pedals I believe.
Agreed, I love watching him play. I just sit there
Unread 06-12-2009, 01:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Many thanks Splattle! this is one of those...... why didn't I think of that! Dude, you rock, Bro! I was complementing you on one post, but couldn't remember which thread, but anyhow, I did try that set up (my r9 with RS vintage kit) last Saturday for a gig (open air venue) I must admit, you freakin' nailed it. I got bunch of guys coming over after the set and checking out my set up and asking?? Dude, that never happened to me before (i gues I suck) like they say, "you got it going on", i felt really good! But I think it will take a little more practice (re learn my habit) if you will...

Thanks again,
Curly
Pokerstar likes this.
Curlymaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 01:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Killer video.

Thanks for the tips as well - good stuff.
diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 04:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Excellent tips cheers Splattle
TC Electronics PolyTune
MXR Dist III
Dunlop Wah
TurboSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 06:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

About time! Sticky this thread! Way valuable post for me since I came here. When I chanced about Splat's tip, I was having a hard time dialing in a tone that can go from raunch dirty to pristinely clean at the touch of the knobs. It didn't occur to me how valuable the tone knob is. I thought it was just something to cut the treble.

So the way I approach les paul controls now is, EQ for the neck, roll back the bridge tone. Then I adjust the amp gain so that it's dirty on 10, but I get clean clean tone, even when I dig in, around 2-3 of the bridge volume knob.

This way, I can easily switch from clean to crunch at the turn of the volume knob. Then use the tone knob for more cut if playing with other instruments. Step on an overdrive pedal set to boost for heavier music. With the bridge set to clean, I can further thin out the les paul bridge honk by switching to the middle position, utilizing phase cancellation to my advantage for those funky rhythm comps.

Thanks again Splat.
oldsnoringrottie likes this.
siore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Great post, thanks! I am no Gary Moore, but I also adjust my volume and tone controls all the time while I play. It is true that after a while, it becomes second nature and you don't have to look down at all, just reach and grab the appropriate volume or tone knob and season to taste.
Unread 06-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

it's so funny that we automatically EQ the bridge pickup, then wonder why the neck sounds odd.

excellent thread. two thumbs up
stephen likes this.

"Sometimes I wish I was disabled trust fund baby, so I could sit around and bitch about my Tube Screamer bumping my Mids too much." - QBob
snaredrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

great info. Thanks Splattle.
ozone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

saved this to my favorite section so I can always come back to this

some for me and beaters for the kids

Fender Super Sonic combo 1x12 for sale or trade

avoiding risk at the cost of living is human. Living your life assuming the risk is heroic. I choose the latter.
Master Mason 32°
US ARMY (RET)
Disabled Combat Veteran
Rangers Lead The Way
jason_mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

i've hardly put my guitar down since i read this. best piece of musical advice i've ever had.
Duane71 likes this.

"Sometimes I wish I was disabled trust fund baby, so I could sit around and bitch about my Tube Screamer bumping my Mids too much." - QBob
Unread 06-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Premium Member

sticky????

avoiding risk at the cost of living is human. Living your life assuming the risk is heroic. I choose the latter.
Master Mason 32°
US ARMY (RET)
Disabled Combat Veteran
Rangers Lead The Way
Unread 06-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jason

Sounds like good advice! I admit I just plug in, dial in a tone I like, and hammer away.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

stick this, it's the best advice. i've not had my bridge tone at 10 since i read this. i have so much room to play with!

Unread 06-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattle101 View Post
And:

Before I forget again, there's one thing about the middle setting that I forgot to mention. It’s a lot easier to use than it sounds to describe it!

If you set your neck so it’s basically clean (~ 50%), and then set the bridge to about 75%, that will give you the sounds-like-the-bridge-pickup-but-fuller tone. As I said before, that’s a good rhythm or lead sound.

From that basic position, if you want to get a boost, all you have to do is adjust ONE volume control up to 100%. Either will work. If the bridge, you get the biting sound, if the neck you get the fuller sound. When you’ve finished, simply turn that volume back to where it was.

Simple.

In other words, once you’ve worked out your pre-sets, using the Les Paul this way is as simple as playing a Telecaster.
I'm going to try this out. Great advice! Thumbs up Splattle!
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Premium Member

call for a sticky again. looks like snaredrum seconded, any 3rds?

Master Mason 32°
US ARMY (RET)
Disabled Combat Veteran
Rangers Lead The Way
Unread 06-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

hell mazzy, you 3rd and i'll 4th

Unread 06-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Never too old to try a new trick, I thought I'd see what happens if I followed this advice... Not millions of miles away from what I usually do, but enough to make a difference. I actually cheated a bit and rolled the tone control off a tiny bit on the neck pickup while I was setting up the amp tone controls.

Splattle, you're a legend! Really getting into the BBRI, Powerbrake and R9 with OTPs, RS Superpots and real bees. Couple of gigs this weekend and had a real killer tone (rhythm intros on the bridge pickup with all the controls up was razor sharp and warm at the same time, but removed the tops of people's heads! Neck pickup just sublime...) More and more into using the controls interactively now, pedals still get used, but not half as much.

Quote:
Lot's of good stuff to be had around these settings - I'm loving it. Like the switch from bridge for rhythm to both pickups for lead with this. The MXR Dynacomp loves all this stuff, getting different attack and tone without changing the volume too much. Quite like bridge on 50% and neck on 75% too. Mellow and warm with some bite.

Thanks again for the brief tutorial, definitely set this "old dog" in a new direction.

Liam
Liam is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #23 (permalink)

I can't tell you how much this has helped me! Thank you so much! I have a Fender Blues junior and the low end can sound pretty farty and muddy. I eq'ed the amp for the neck pickup and set the tone and volume controls how you said. It improved the tone of my overdrive so much! It went from farty and muddy to creamy and smooth! Now granted it still sounds a little farty because of the small cabinet, but it still sounds WAY better. Thanks so much dude!

+5 on stickying this! This thread can help so many people!
BluesLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

Excellent post Splattle.
I must be playing about 15 years now and I dont think I have ever EQ'd for the neck p'up. DOH!!! I look forward to trying this at the weekend when I get rid of the wife and kids for a few hours.
boycey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #25 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Thanks all. I'm glad it is / was of some use.
Oberin27 likes this.
Unread 06-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #26 (permalink)

I always thought that people tended to use the neck for Rhythm and the bridge for lead? Obviously it is not a hard and fast rule.
Pink_Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd View Post
I always thought that people tended to use the neck for Rhythm and the bridge for lead? Obviously it is not a hard and fast rule.
Why not a woody neck tone for leads? Or creamy rhythm comps from the bridge pickup?

Les pauls are so nice. Lots of tones, so little time.
siore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by siore View Post
Why not a woody neck tone for leads? Or creamy rhythm comps from the bridge pickup?

Les pauls are so nice. Lots of tones, so little time.
Agreed, sometimes I am guilty of sticking to the manual rather than going with the flow. Time for a change
Pink_Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #29 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

i was watching freebird the movie, and i'm sure gary rossington switched to neck for some solos. sounded ace

Unread 06-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #30 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

There are many examples of neck pickup solos. Have a listen to Shine On You Crazy Diamond. I don't care what kind of guitar it was played on, it had a healthy dose of neck pickup involved.

...any number of Cream songs...

...Blackmore with Purple (yes, it was a strat, but still neck a lot of the time)

...what about the intro to Since I've Been Lovin You? And most of the verses...

...what about Gary Moore and Still Got the Blues?!!??!! I mean, really. Neck pickup for rhythm only? I don't think so...

[EDIT]Sorry if this post seems a bit negative or garoul...garrou...gar...argumentative. I just got back from the pub...watching hot young girls bending over and groaning...[END EDIT]

[EDIT 2]That'd be the TENNIS, you depraved sods!! Whatever did you think I meant??!![END EDIT 2]