MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > Tonefreaks
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Modding a Peavey Delta Blues?

Has anyone ever 'upgraded' one of these? I know the classic 30/50 has a lot of mods for it, but I'm not sure how close the DB is internally to these.

2010 R8
Metroamp Plexi
2007 Martin D-28 Marquis
redlir is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Modding a Peavey Delta Blues?

I have a Delta Blues 2X10. Which model do you have or are you considering?

I really don't know what mods, if any you would want to do to this amp. You could change the speakers and re-tube the amp to fit your personel taste.

The 2X10 Delta Blues can be a "Black Face Fenderish" amp. It's not going to do the Marshall thing as well as a Marshall, but it can cover a lot of sonic ground. I think it kind of bridges the gap between a Fender and a Marshall tube amp. This amp can do every thing well but hard core Metal.

I really don't think there is much to do to a Delta Blues. If you want an amp with booming bass and a bluesier tone, get the 1-15 Delta Blues, if you want a tighter rock and roll tone, get the 2x10 model.

I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and like the Classic series Peavy's, it is made to be modded and mods will make it shine.

I have only owned my 2X10 Delta Blues for about 7 months and I have not really completely figured it out, as I use my HRD most of the time.

I would think a 2x10 Delta Blues with a single 12" extension cabinet under it would be tone heaven.

I am going to be off work for a while after shoulder surgery and I plan on playing my Delta Blues a lot. I would like to make a decission on which amp to keep and I would like it to be the Delta Blues.

To answer your question is a sentance. I have not read much about modding the Delta Blues and most people don't feel the need to do so.

I forgot to add that I bought this amp from a friend and he completely re-tubed it with JJ's before I bought it. This was a positive change that really warmed the amp up. I have thought about a speaker change but right now, I don't know what, if anything would sound any better.
Blues4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4U View Post
I have a Delta Blues 2X10. Which model do you have or are you considering?

I really don't know what mods, if any you would want to do to this amp. You could change the speakers and re-tube the amp to fit your personel taste.

The 2X10 Delta Blues can be a "Black Face Fenderish" amp. It's not going to do the Marshall thing as well as a Marshall, but it can cover a lot of sonic ground. I think it kind of bridges the gap between a Fender and a Marshall tube amp. This amp can do every thing well but hard core Metal.

I really don't think there is much to do to a Delta Blues. If you want an amp with booming bass and a bluesier tone, get the 1-15 Delta Blues, if you want a tighter rock and roll tone, get the 2x10 model.

I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and like the Classic series Peavy's, it is made to be modded and mods will make it shine.

I have only owned my 2X10 Delta Blues for about 7 months and I have not really completely figured it out, as I use my HRD most of the time.

I would think a 2x10 Delta Blues with a single 12" extension cabinet under it would be tone heaven.

I am going to be off work for a while after shoulder surgery and I plan on playing my Delta Blues a lot. I would like to make a decission on which amp to keep and I would like it to be the Delta Blues.

To answer your question is a sentance. I have not read much about modding the Delta Blues and most people don't feel the need to do so.

I forgot to add that I bought this amp from a friend and he completely re-tubed it with JJ's before I bought it. This was a positive change that really warmed the amp up. I have thought about a speaker change but right now, I don't know what, if anything would sound any better.
I have the Delta Blues 1 x 15 and it came stock with JJ's which are fine for now. I've been doing some research, and I 'think' based on this article here, the DB is basically the same circuit as the 30. There are ton of mods for the 30 to replace tone caps etc which is where i would probably start. I really only use the clean channel, and if I read it right, only one of the 12ax7's really attributes to this channel, so I may just pop in a Telefunken for that tube and see. I'm just trying to see if anyone has actually applied the 30's mods to the DB for confirmation that the circuit is the same before I go cracking her open with caps in hand...

Anyway, if you scroll to the bottom of this site there is a pdf with the 30 mods.. it's rather old though which is why I'm still trying to confirm.

Peavey Delta Blues

2010 R8
Metroamp Plexi
2007 Martin D-28 Marquis
Unread 02-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry I didn't see the squawk box forum before. Perhaps a mod could move this to the correct forum?

2010 R8
Metroamp Plexi
2007 Martin D-28 Marquis
Unread 02-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well just an update on my own question. The Delta Blues is in fact the same schematic as the Classic 30, with a little tremolo circuit added on.

I promised Jonesy I would get pictures but the camera seems to be awol. I went ahead last night and swapped out all of the tone and coupling capacitors for some Mojotone Vitamin T caps. I used a sliver mica for the High tone cap for now. I'm sure there are better options, but these were readily available for me.

I changed 11 caps in all. It's a little surreal to change capacitor the size of a swollen grain of rice, to one almost the size of your thumb! I had to get creative with some of the placements, but they all fit in there nicely.

I only finished up at 2am so I couldn't give her a real run through yet, but the initial low volume tests were drastically apparent. The amp is clearer/smoother, and the tone controls are nice and smooth when dialing out frequencies.

I also updated the 12AX7 stages V1 and V3 ( clean channel and PI tube) with JAN 5751's to clean her up a bit. I'd say overall the capacitor change was the biggest factor, as I had swapped out the tubes before, changing the caps, and the differences were very minor. The stock JJ's are pretty decent.

I may go back in and replace the output tranny with a mercury. I'll be sure to grab some pics if I do.

2010 R8
Metroamp Plexi
2007 Martin D-28 Marquis
Unread 05-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

**Spam Removed** --Mod

Last edited by b-squared; 05-28-2010 at 03:57 PM.
TWANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

As you can see, though my post was pictures step by step of modifying this amp, the moderators decided, though I've posted a ton of times on amp subjects, to call it spam.

All I intended was for you to see the mods as they get done, where the parts are, assembly disassembly, replacement.
The idea that I was hawking something never occured to me.

However, if they want it that way, fine by me, gotta follow the rules.

The Steve Ahola mods do wonders for the 30 watt tube peavey amps.
They go in as described, with just a little care, and I found you don't even have to unfold the folded and delicate board.. no worrying about all those scads of jumper wires
that hold the three boards together.

redlir was going to post pictures so I did post pictures..I have NO idea what I actuall did wrong.
Hopefully, they'll leave this up and you can pm me and get the pics.
I assume it was mere coincidence that I couldn't upload the pics to an album here.
I certainly have all my other things there.

redlir is right on the money about size. I had even included some pics of what I took out and what I replaced it with side by side, as well as how it fits into the board.
You gotta be careful and think it through, but it's doable.

I have to say Ahola did a good job with these mods the amp sounds very very much better all the way around.
Unread 05-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hey Twang--the post (and pics) of the amp mod is just where you left it.

Going into posts dealing with this amp type and just posting a link to your thread is spamming, pure and simple. There's no guesswork involved at all. You didn't post ANY pics--just a link to your sales pitch.

Other folks offering goods and services here have ponied up and purchased 'Vendor' status on the forum...why don't you?

I thought we settled this privately, but apparently you want to do it in public--fine by me. Not a great way to do business, IMHO.

BB
b-squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

the mods from steve ahola are good mods.
any decent tech should be able to do them.
many of you with some experience could do them yourself., I'm sure.
just don't die!
you can message me for detailed info.
Unread 07-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

The delta blues is essentially identical to a Classic 30 with the addition of the Tremelo circuit. If you compare the two schematics, you can see where the trem circuit is added.

I used Steve Aloha's mods, and some of my own, and went to town. I would disagree that you can do his mods without unfolding the circuit boards. Yes, perhaps a few, but a bunch are just too tight to get in there with a soldering/desoldering iron.

One of the resisters in the power circuit had blown (with a nice black mark on the close components and circuit board), but the amp still functioned. I had bought this on Craigslist for $80, and when the guy sold it to me he said he didn't have all the tubes for it. I suspect that while he was playing it, a bunch of smoke came out, and he was afraid to turn it back on and unloaded it as soon as possible.

Oddly enough, not knowing this, I put some tubes in it, and everything seemed to work, but it sounded not so good. I was very disappointed because I had heard the delta blues were pretty good amps, but it didn't seem like it. I figured for the price, I didn't have a lot to lose, so I got the schematics, looked through everything Steve had done, blew the schematics up on a D size plotter and went to town making changes. After I had my plan in place, and a list of components, I ordered everything and got ready to mod.

Imagine my surprise to find the resistor smoked, and fortunately it was a simple 5W power resistor you can get at radio shack. Anyway, I decided to go ahead with my plans regardless.

So........Of Aloha's mods, I did...
Toncap mods
Overdrive Channel input
Master Volume
Presence Control
Boost switch relay board (Plus some)
Adjustable Bias Pot
Coupling caps
Tube board

On the relay board. Rather than use Steve's board, I designed my own relay board, and added an additional 1/4" jack in the back for another plug. Then I modified an Ibanez IFS4 quad footswitch, and wired the relay board into the main circuit board. This gives me Channel, Overdrive, Reverb, and Tremelo now on the footswitch for the Delta Blues.

I built a new cabinet using bloodwood with dovetail joinery and replaced the 2X10 stock speakers with a 10" and a 12" Eminence Red Coat Red Fang Alnico speakers. I've got a Telefunken NOS tube in the first 12AX7, the rest are RCA NOS, and Ruby EL84's. (At my work, they replaced the old, old elevators, and the cabinet full of tubes that had been there to repair the systems if they went bad was being thrown out. The rest were not guitar amp tubes, but I got a boatload of 12AX7's from the 50's. And no, you can't have any

I also nibbled out the metal where the power cord went in, and replaced it with a power receptacle from an old server that had it's own power filter circuitry built in. This cleaned up power going in, and allows me to use a regular computer power cord now. I put a 120mm low noise computer fan inside the cabinet to pull air in at the bottom, past the tubes and out the top of the back of the cabinet below the chassis that turns on when you turn the amp on. This resolved the heat issues this amp seems to commonly have. I also put a metal mesh guard in that goes about three inches below the chassis to protect the tubes.

I put an additional 1/4" jack in the bottom of the chassis and wired the speakers into it, and soldered a plug onto the speakers in the cabinet so I could disconnect the speakers when desired. By leaving everything else the same, the two speakers are wired for 16 ohms. If you put a 16 ohm extension cabinet in the external speaker jack, you now are running 8 ohms through both. Or, you can disconnect the internal speakers and plug in an 8 ohm extension cabinet. For playing somewhere big, I have two Rivera thule ported 2X12 cabinets that are 4 ohms and connect in series to plug in the back of this at 8 ohms.

I considered replacing the transformers, but didn't because of the cost. Not counting the tubes, cabinet and speakers which I could use for something else anyway, and the footswitch I already had, total cost for the other mods was about $50 or so.

Now, with everything connected, I can turn the master volume all the way up, all the other knobs to 12, and volume to about 9 before you start getting a slight hiss. (Nigel Tufnel's got nothing on my amp, it goes to *12*)

Everyone who has played this amp since I made the mods has fallen in love. I've gotten a few offers, and more than a few people who wish they could afford to make an offer. I put a box of wipes inside the amp just for them.

I've been exceptionally happy with how everything turned out. If I were ever to revisit this, I would perhaps do Four things:
1: Replace the stock transformers
2: Put an effects loop in between the pre-amp and the amplifier section. I thought about doing this the first time, but decided not to because of the pain in the ass designing and putting an impedance matching circuit in would be.
3: Modify the power section. I'd want to put in a switch that would switch two of the tubes out of the circuit for half power, and also a switch to change between Pentode and Triode for the EL84's. That would give you 15 or 30 watts in Pentode mode, and 7.5 or 15 watts in Triode mode. (the Transformer change is important if I do this because I'd have more impedance options when switching. Pulling two tubes out of the circuit will double the impedance requirements).
4: Boost the output in some fashion when the Tremelo is engaged. It works fine now, but the volume decreases significantly, and the faster the trem, the greater the decrease in volume. Not a huge deal since I don't really use it, but I might if it wasn't such a pain.

That was the long answer. The short answer is Yes, the Delta Blues amp is just as modifiable as the Classic 30.
dgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

I had one with a Weber ceramic 15" (ferromax?) that sounded awesome, wish I still had it. My amp guy put new tubes in it (took JJ's out) and it sounded great. I belive they were Sovteks.
Unread 10-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

dgrey, where do you find the info about the steve ahola mods?
123irish123 is offline   Reply With Quote