• 4 Post By bill m
  • 2 Post By L.Campionero
  • 2 Post By 76Custom
  • 1 Post By jamman
  • 1 Post By LIBERTYMACHINE
  • 1 Post By Rich
  • 1 Post By moff40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Switching between Les Paul and Strat during a set - what to do about volume drop?

Hi Guys, Hope I'm posting this in the correct bit of the forum!

My current set up is a R7 Lester, a '57 AR Strat loaded with SD Antiquities into an Orange Dual Terror. I've got some pedals in the middle.

I'm playing in a covers band and I need to switch between axes as some suit the 'Paul and some need that Strat bite.

Before I got the R7 I had a Les Paul classic with Slash Custom SD's loaded. The volume change was quite noticeable when swapping. I then sold the Classsic and got the R7. The R7 is a beast. It was far more powerful than all the other Reissues that I tried in the shop.

Now the problem is even worse. The Strat sounds tiny in comparison.

I got an Exotic effects rC booster, unfortunately it sounds so good through the rig I now leave it on all the time hahaha.

what can I do? Help!
Citrus Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
MLP Vendor

Re: Switching between Les Paul and Strat during a set - what to do about volume drop

Turn your amp volume up a little when using the strat and turn it down a little when using the paul.
River, MusicMan, chrisuk and 1 others like this.

www.electriccitypickups.com
Vintage Tone at its Best
http://www.youtube.com/user/ElectricCityPickups1
bill m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Re: Switching between Les Paul and Strat during a set - what to do about volume drop

turn this knob

sdjjadk and MusicMan like this.
L.Campionero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 1,089 Times in 87 Posts

My amp has an effects loop I don't use, with adjustable send and return levels. I set them so activating the loop bumps the volume.
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

A lttle EQ pedal could be just the thing too.
diceman and MusicMan like this.
76Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 11:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

How about this , try lowering both pickups on th R7 so it's in the range of the Strats volume, and than turn up the volume on the Amp, so your happy with the Strat's level,than turn down the volume knob on the R7 untill it's = to the Strat.

I can't believe I just wrote that LOL !!!!! cool
Thundergod likes this.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Custom View Post
A lttle EQ pedal could be just the thing too.
Agreed 100%.
diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Dice. I'd try that first. Also makes a good boost for leads.
76Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

I think they work great for a good boost, and it is something that you can set and forget - just tap the pedal when you switch guitars...
diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 01:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Barber Launch Pad: big time clean headroom boost.

Now I have the modeler patches take care of that stuff.

Quote:
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
b3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 05:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Non sequitur

Thanked 1,112 Times in 303 Posts

Boost pedal.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 05:58 AM   #12 (permalink)

The ideal solution would be two separate amps....otherwise, I'd also go with the EQ pedal or clean boost.

The DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

I use a Dr Z Airbrake Attenuator in order to keep my stage volume at a reasonable level. It has which has a five position knob that attenuates in approximately 2.5 Db increments. I set it on 4 (about -10 Db) when I using my Les Paul and I bump it up to 3 when I switch to a Strat. It works better than fiddling with a volume knob because the change in volume is a fixed amount.
Danelectro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
PSM

Times however many on the EQ pedal. This also gives you a little flexibility with tone since your amp will only be EQ'd to one guitar (or you'll settle for an "in between" EQ on the amp). Get a quality EQ pedal and EQ the amp to sound best with whichever guitar you don't use the EQ pedal for. Then plug in the guitar that you do use it for and use the pedal EQ to not only boost your level a bit, but also tweak the tone for that guitar since your amp EQ setting might not be ideal for that guitar.
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

I hate strats, but.........I'd consider changing the pups in the strat.( I know, a bit extreme).
I saw a dude changing guitars thru his set (Paul to Strat to Paul etc) and his strat had thoseEMG -DG20 (David Gilmour Pre-Wired Pickguard/Pickup Set) and man, that strat's Volume and textures were nice and "Gibsony". No dips/changes on volume etc. The only pedal he used was a Boss T3 tuner. I had to ask him how his strat sounded so good as/against /Vs. Gibson. His band was a 70's classic rock cover band & he used a Mesa amp.......... My 2 cents.

Hector Arcadius likes this.
LIBERTYMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 05:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
Non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBERTYMACHINE View Post
I saw a dude changing guitars thru his set (Paul to Strat to Paul etc) and his strat had those EMG -DG20 (David Gilmour Pre-Wired Pickguard/Pickup Set) and man, that strat's Volume and textures were nice and "Gibsony".
Can't imagine why he bothered switching guitars then. When I first got a Strat 7 or 8 years ago after playing only an LP for eons, it took a while for me to accept the Strat as a Strat and not try to turn it into something else. When I play a show I bring both an LP and a Strat but, for rehearsals, I bring only one or the other to get just close enough.
MrRhoads likes this.
Unread 04-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing "Why switch when they sounded similiar", but I guess that since he had one of each He wanted to get use outta them both. He also didn't stay "brand correct" on the tunes......ya know, he didn't necessarily use the strat for Strat famed tunes but used the Gibby for majority of the gig. Since I don't know crap about Fenders, I 'll also assume that since he had an old Norlin, maybe his strat was an oldy?
LIBERTYMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #18 (permalink)

Fulltone Fatboost works great on a Strat...still sounds like a Strat, just bigger. I've actually grown to love this pedal on all the time with my Strat.
tonyg73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Problem with a boost or an eq pedal is they will probably change the signal a little when engaged. So the strat might end up not sounding as you want.

I'd try the amp's vol knob first... set it at 3-4 for the les paul and 5 for the strat, see how that works out.

Also... part of the strat's thing is they lack the body a LP has, so they should sound a little less big and powerful.
Unread 04-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

Problem with a boost or an eq pedal is they will probably change the signal a little when engaged. So the strat might end up not sounding as you want.

I'd try the amp's vol knob first... set it at 3-4 for the les paul and 5 for the strat, see how that works out.

Also... part of the strat's thing is they lack the body a LP has, so they should sound a little less big and powerful.
Unread 04-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

Maybe my pups are really hot in my strat but i have a great sound on both. I make no switching in my rig wjen swapping, in my opinion something else is going on unless you are straight jacked into into youre amp.
Hamtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #22 (permalink)

Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster... The ones I've heard work great.

'05 Gibson LP Faded DC
'90s Gibson LP Custom
'80 Gibson LP Deluxe
'77 Gibson LP Deluxe
'74 Gibson LP Deluxe
'78 Fender Telecaster
'92 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
'11 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
'90 Ibanez RG550
'06 Line6 Variax 500
'99 Raven electric 12-string
'86 Yamaha APX-6L acoustic\electric
'81 Takamine F400-S 12-string acoustic\electric

Warwick endorsing artist:
Corvette $$ 4- and 5-string basses
moff40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #23 (permalink)

If you really need to bring two guitars, then adjusting the volume and eq on your amp is the easiest and least problematic. Bringing another pedal into the mix is just another factor that complicates things. Motto for live rigs: simpler is better.

On the other hand:

If you're main guitar is a humbucker guitar and you wanna thin it out or squish it, maybe you could try using a compressor. That way you don't need to bring the strat. I used to do that for a funk-metal band.

Likewise, if you're main guitar is a strat and you wanna fatten it up for a few songs, then an eq or boost pedal would suffice.
Smedley Smorganoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundergod View Post
... part of the strat's thing is they lack the body a LP has, so they should sound a little less big and powerful.
Exactly. It's all about compromising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtone View Post
Maybe my pups are really hot in my strat but i have a great sound on both. I make no switching in my rig when swapping, in my opinion something else is going on unless you are straight jacked into into youre amp.
Nah. Like I said above,I think you just realize this and have learned to adapt your playing to the different levels/pups/guitar etc. I know it sounds crazy,but it really is the only conclusion I can come to as the pups in my strat are a lower output than my LP's,yet i have no problem with volume fluctuations whatsoever. Sure it ain't the same but...i dunno
Lowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowdown View Post

...Like I said above,I think you just realize this and have learned to adapt your playing to the different levels/pups/guitar etc. I know it sounds crazy,but it really is the only conclusion I can come to as the pups in my strat are a lower output than my LP's,yet i have no problem with volume fluctuations whatsoever. Sure it ain't the same but...i dunno
Also worth considering is that though a Strat or Tele will generally have lower output, single-coil guitars tend to cut through a mix more than a guitar with 'buckers, which tends to sit in the "wash". You don't have to turn a Strat up to be heard out front.

I don't have an issue with going between my Strat and LP either, but my Strat has always had slightly hotter pickups - either Texas Specials, Lace Sensors, or the current Vintage Vibe SP-90s (a strat-sized P-90s), with a splittable 'bucker at the bridge (these days it's a P-Rails) - which may account for some of it. Or not. My Tele can keep up too.
b3john likes this.

'05 Gibson LP Faded DC
'90s Gibson LP Custom
'80 Gibson LP Deluxe
'77 Gibson LP Deluxe
'74 Gibson LP Deluxe
'78 Fender Telecaster
'92 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
'11 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
'90 Ibanez RG550
'06 Line6 Variax 500
'99 Raven electric 12-string
'86 Yamaha APX-6L acoustic\electric
'81 Takamine F400-S 12-string acoustic\electric

Warwick endorsing artist:
Corvette $$ 4- and 5-string basses
moff40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 05:53 AM   #26 (permalink)

Get one of these. I have one and love it. It doesn't modify the tone or texture at all, just lets you switch between two different volume levels instantly. It also has the side benefit of driving long cable runs, so I use it as the last pedal on my pedalboard, for that long cable back to the amp. And it's priced reasonable.
I'd avoid EQ pedals or boosters -- you just want a clean volume change.
RLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Line buffer all the time, and a clean/treble boost. Fattens single coils up a bit as well.
NoStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowdown View Post

Nah. Like I said above,I think you just realize this and have learned to adapt your playing to the different levels/pups/guitar etc. I know it sounds crazy,but it really is the only conclusion I can come to as the pups in my strat are a lower output than my LP's,yet i have no problem with volume fluctuations whatsoever. Sure it ain't the same but...i dunno
I have aph slashs in my lp and a ssl5 and 2 cs69s in my strat. Seriously my strat is as loud or louder than my lp.
Hamtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #29 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

I have the opposite problem, my Strat is louder than my LP. (I'm running an SD lil59 and an SD CoolRails in the Strat)

I use the Master Vol to make the change.

Primary Tone: what the body and neck does not have cannot come out as tone - Iwanade, BOTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswot
A 50's Special is, IMO, the coolest guitar ever made.

dwagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
Non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff40 View Post
Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster... The ones I've heard work great.
I've had limited success with mine as it seems to work better with some amps than others, probably due to how the amp's mid frequencies are voiced. With my Strat, it works great with my Blues Jr but not so hot with my Mesa Stiletto.