MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > Tonefreaks
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter
  
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: central Maine
Posts: 31
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trying to identify Gibson pickups...

I've had a pair of Gibson HB pickups in a drawer for quite a few years now...just wondering if anyone could provide some more info....


can't find any other marking except for the "Gibson USA"..the black is just some tape put around the coils...no covers that I know of...nothing else except the lead wires are metal mesh wrapped...any help would be appreciated...thanks...later.

cowboy
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on MyLesPaul.com
   
Unread 02-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In the pit rubbing the lotion on it's skin. It doesn't like the hose.
Posts: 12,342
Thanks: 184
Thanked 178 Times in 34 Posts
Re: trying to identify Gibson pickups...

I can tell by the picture above it's a bridge pickup, because the screw coil is on the wide side of the base plate. If it was a neck pickup, the screw poles would be going through the other side. If you peel that tape between the D and G poles, you will see a "T" stamped there, for "Treble" pickup.

That narrows it down to 3 different models, the 490T, the 498T, and the 500T.

If you have a multi-meter that reads Ohms, you can determine it further. If it reads around 8.00k ohms, it's a 490T. If it reads around 14 to 15K ohms, it's a 498 or 500.

The way to tell those 2 apart, just unwind the outer covering of tape and see if you have a thin silver-colored magnet between the coils and 1 or 2 wooden spacers on the outside of the coil. If so, 498T. If you have a dark greey THICK magnet and 2 smaller ones on the outside of the coil, 500T.

Does that make sense?

PS, don't worry about removing the tape, you won't hurt anything. Just take it easy so you can re-apply it.
captain tightpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In the pit rubbing the lotion on it's skin. It doesn't like the hose.
Posts: 12,342
Thanks: 184
Thanked 178 Times in 34 Posts
Re: trying to identify Gibson pickups...

Now for the other pickup, if it's a neck pickup, the pole pieces from the screw coil will pass through the side of the base plate with narrower spacing, opposite of the "T" mark. Only 2 choices here, 490R and 496R. Both will read at around 7.50k Ohms, althought I have a 496 that reads 8.8K ohms. Doesn't really matter. Just carefully unwrap the outer protective tape again and see what color the magnet is.

If it's silver, it's a 490R. If it's dark grey, it's a 496R


Just as an aside, if you have a 496R, and it reads hot like mine, it makes a fantastic bridge pickup for an SG if you swap out the ceramic magnet for an Alnico 4 magnet. Kind of a cool "Hot-Vintage" vibe on the cheap.
captain tightpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: central Maine
Posts: 31
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: trying to identify Gibson pickups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain tightpants View Post
Now for the other pickup, if it's a neck pickup, the pole pieces from the screw coil will pass through the side of the base plate with narrower spacing, opposite of the "T" mark. Only 2 choices here, 490R and 496R. Both will read at around 7.50k Ohms, althought I have a 496 that reads 8.8K ohms. Doesn't really matter. Just carefully unwrap the outer protective tape again and see what color the magnet is.

If it's silver, it's a 490R. If it's dark grey, it's a 496R


Just as an aside, if you have a 496R, and it reads hot like mine, it makes a fantastic bridge pickup for an SG if you swap out the ceramic magnet for an Alnico 4 magnet. Kind of a cool "Hot-Vintage" vibe on the cheap.
thanks for the info...I've got the pair....are they worth putting into an 2010 Epi LP Standard?...how much of an upgrade would it be an upgrade from the Epi stock pickups? thanks..later.

cowboy
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In the pit rubbing the lotion on it's skin. It doesn't like the hose.
Posts: 12,342
Thanks: 184
Thanked 178 Times in 34 Posts
Re: trying to identify Gibson pickups...

One of these days I'm going to take a bunch pictures and make a thread about this.

Personally, I love Gibson USA pickups, and yeah, I think they would be a fine upgrade for Epi pickups. I like to swap the magnets out on them, usually an A4 for the bridge and an A5 for the neck. I find the A2 in the neck always sounds too muddy.

Gibby USA pickups love 500K pots, too.

One other question, do you know what guitar they came out of? I could probably tell you if you know that.
captain tightpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: central Maine
Posts: 31
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: trying to identify Gibson pickups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain tightpants View Post
One of these days I'm going to take a bunch pictures and make a thread about this.

Personally, I love Gibson USA pickups, and yeah, I think they would be a fine upgrade for Epi pickups. I like to swap the magnets out on them, usually an A4 for the bridge and an A5 for the neck. I find the A2 in the neck always sounds too muddy.

Gibby USA pickups love 500K pots, too.

One other question, do you know what guitar they came out of? I could probably tell you if you know that.
sorry, no idea....got them for $40 for the pair....figured I couldn't go wrong....of course it took me another eight years to get back to the LP...went on a strat/tele thing for a while...later.

cowboy
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SrDeMaFp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 482
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: trying to identify Gibson pickups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
sorry, no idea....got them for $40 for the pair....figured I couldn't go wrong....
cowboy
Not for that price you can't! Nice snag!
SrDeMaFp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In the pit rubbing the lotion on it's skin. It doesn't like the hose.
Posts: 12,342
Thanks: 184
Thanked 178 Times in 34 Posts
Re: trying to identify Gibson pickups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
sorry, no idea....got them for $40 for the pair....figured I couldn't go wrong....of course it took me another eight years to get back to the LP...went on a strat/tele thing for a while...later.

cowboy
Not a bad deal right there at all, good score
captain tightpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: trying to identify Gibson pickups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain tightpants View Post
I can tell by the picture above it's a bridge pickup, because the screw coil is on the wide side of the base plate. If it was a neck pickup, the screw poles would be going through the other side. If you peel that tape between the D and G poles, you will see a "T" stamped there, for "Treble" pickup.

That narrows it down to 3 different models, the 490T, the 498T, and the 500T.

If you have a multi-meter that reads Ohms, you can determine it further. If it reads around 8.00k ohms, it's a 490T. If it reads around 14 to 15K ohms, it's a 498 or 500.

The way to tell those 2 apart, just unwind the outer covering of tape and see if you have a thin silver-colored magnet between the coils and 1 or 2 wooden spacers on the outside of the coil. If so, 498T. If you have a dark greey THICK magnet and 2 smaller ones on the outside of the coil, 500T.

Does that make sense?

PS, don't worry about removing the tape, you won't hurt anything. Just take it easy so you can re-apply it.
I've been trying to apply the process above to identify a pickup I came across by chance ... it is marked on the underside with the same "Gibson USA", "T" and nothing else ...it tests at 15.13 ohms so I assume it to be a 498 or 500 ... I can't tell which though ...

is it possible to tell which it is from my admittedly dreadful picture i have attached?

many thanks, Danny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS850307a.JPG (87.8 KB, 10 views)
dannyibison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
RickRandom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 205
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: trying to identify Gibson pickups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyibison View Post
is it possible to tell which it is from my admittedly dreadful picture i have attached?
Those spacers don't look like wood so I'm thinking 500T.
RickRandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: trying to identify Gibson pickups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRandom View Post
Those spacers don't look like wood so I'm thinking 500T.
that's great - thankyou
dannyibison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
slapshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,184
Thanks: 377
Thanked 102 Times in 44 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to slapshot
Re: trying to identify Gibson pickups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danelectro View Post

Regarding, the pickups, don't recall seeing any Classics with stock zebras, but its possible. The 500T can be identified by looking at the side of the pickup. The 500T has two outer magnets and is taller than any other pickup. The normal humbucker has one shorter magnet in the center and maple spacers on the outside. Here's a photo of a 496R and 500T from a 1991 Classic


slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: trying to identify Gibson pickups...

having seen the 2 it's clearly a 500t ... many thanks
dannyibison is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Our Network: PRS Guitar Forum | Luthier Forum | SG Guitar Forum | Marshall Amp Forum | Music Gear Forum | 7 String Guitar Forum | Acoustic Guitar Forum

MyLesPaul proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2006-2014, MyLesPaul.com. All Rights Reserved.