WWII Vet Not Allowed To Fly American Flag

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by VictorB, Dec 3, 2009.

1. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Staff Member Super Mod

2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

You'd think homeowner's associations would think better of this. Every few months a story like this comes up, and it's always bad PR for those who make up such goofy-assed rules.

- D

3. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

HoA's are a cancer.

4. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

We agree!

5. VictorB

We all agree! Merry Christmas!!!

6. Agave_Blue

Agave_Blue Senior Member

He's allowed to fly the flag. He just needs a different flag pole.

And, btw, when he moved into the neighborhood, he agreed to the HOA rules. Maybe he should've payed better attention to the "Do's and Don'ts" of flag poles in that neighborhood.

I'm no fan of facist-like HOA's, but I'm no fan of whiners either.

7. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

Its a catch 22, if you don't agree to some arbitrary rule set you can't live there. HoA's in my part of the country are everywhere, they dominate. When the cancer spreads and takes over the majority of the living area, then what are you going to do? Leave the state?

Certain rules are just plain stupid. You make a stand where you can.

8. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Why should a HOA get to tell me how to live on my property? I'm not renting it from them, I'm not on their land. Imagine if you purchased a brand new guitar and you were told you could not play an Em because some people within earshot are annoyed by that particular chord.

That's essentially what HOAs do.

There are some good things that they do, but for as much good there is usually double the totalitarian grasp of their rules.

9. VictorB

[​IMG]

10. Horse

Horse Senior Member

man HOAs are like Stepford, its just unsettling.

11. b-squared

b-squared Banned

I say bully! Fight the damn HoA...

12. JohnQ

JohnQ Senior Member

I'm pretty sure "whiner" or "whining" is not in this man's vocabulary. Read this-

Second Lieutenant Barfoot's official Medal of Honor citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers.

13. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Audey Murphy ain't got nothing on that guy...wow.

BB

14. Custom53

Custom53 Senior Member

Turns my stomach when I hear stories like this.. If you ever get the chance read the book "Geronimo" by William B. Breuer.. It is somewhat of a long read but the things they went went thru in WWII is awe inspiring....

Also "We Were Soldiers Once...And Young" A true Veitnam story...

Then tell those guys they can't fly the flag, no matter what size it is...

15. kingedb

kingedb Senior Member

that clip doesn't do the gripe justice. the flag is NOT the little flag on his porch that it keeps showing. he has a full-fledged flag pole in his yard. i think its too much. i understand that he has earned the right (100x over), but thats not normal. those houses look very close together also. not like he has this huge plot of land. better than reading about tiger though!:laugh2:

16. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

That man a whiner? :laugh2:

The HoA should be ashamed of themselves.

17. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

What he did in defence of our way of life was not normal. Yes he has earned the right.

18. kingedb

kingedb Senior Member

:lol:

19. LongBeach

LongBeach Premium Member

HOA's are stupid. IMO

Its a bunch of people that sit around and bitch and cry
    about things their neighbor's do that they dislike.

Sure, if they're cooking meth, slining drugs, dogs bark all night, sure, those items
    need to be addressed.

But, the majority of bullshit I've heard come from them:

"his tree is too tall, I cant see past it" - tuff shit, its in my yard.
    "I think the flag in the window looks tacky" - tuff shit, dont look at it if you dont like it.
    "they need to replace their facia board, it looks trashy" - you want to fork over the cash,
    feel free, otherwise, you'll wait until I save up enough money.

We actually have one in my building, everybody owns their condo.
    And they dont nit-pick about peoples personal B.S. opinions.
    Focus on facts, things that need to be done, improved, etc.

Over the past 10 years, I've skipped purchasing 2 nice houses that I could afford
    (which is saying allot out here on a single income) because I met with the HOA
    appointed board (of that month). I walked out of both meetings rolling laughing.

I'm going to drop $400,000+ on a home, and your going to tell me what type of shrubs
    I can & cant plant in my front yard? PISS OFF!

20. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

"Family members say he's the most decorated American combat veteran alive. Barfoot has been awared more than 20 medals, including the Medal of Honor, The Silver Star, the Legion of Merit, The Bronze Star, and three Purple Hearts.

Wounded in combat three times, Barfoot fought in World War II and in Vietnam."

He should be allowed to have ANY flagpole he wants...Period.

/thread