Where to place Envelope Filter in Chain

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Chondropython, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Chondropython

Chondropython Senior Member

So, I picked up an EH Q-Tron a few weeks ago (great pedal, BTW)... I've been just messing around with it by itself, but am about to add it to my board. Where in the chain would be the logical place for this kind of effect?

Right now I have tuner>compressor>wah>distortion>OD>chours>delay.

I don't think I will be using it in conjunction with any other pedals except for maybe delay, so I'm not sure it makes much difference where I put it other than before or after the delay.

2. GIANTRobOT420

GIANTRobOT420 Senior Member

IMO wahs and auto wah work best at the front of the chain

Rich and Liam like this.
  3. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I agree, generally speaking, but I move my envelope filter around depending on what song/tone I'm working on, and also depending on what other pedals you have on after the filter

4. jsanchez

jsanchez Member

I got my hands on an mxr auto Q two weeks ago, and was pondering the same thing. I decided to put it in the front of my chain just to see how it felt, so far so good. I think that in a couple of weeks ill try it after my distortion, just to see if my ears actually notice any difference, we will see :hmm:

5. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

I would put it after the comp...because I would not want to compress the line going in due to the fact that an envolpe filter pedal will respond to how hard you attack the string and a compressor will level out that attack..a dist pedal can also have a comp type of thing going on too....but as always I am a beliver that one should always mess around, you never fully know what you will get untill you try it out..having a number of envolope filter pedals, I have to say the DR Q is still a fav of mine....peace

6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I prefer mod effects after gain pedals, because I don't like to amplify the noise mod units usually add.

7. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

Experiment but, generally, any type of effect that relies on signal strength to cause it to do something is best off before compression and any sort of dirt pedals. You'll find that if your signal is compressed first, the pedal dependent on varying signal strength won't react as dramatically as the signal strength will be more consistent from it being compressed.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  8. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

whoops I was trying to point out exactly what rich said...yes, before not after