What is solid body and do they still make one ?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Longboots, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Longboots

Longboots Senior Member

How many different body styles are there ?
    I am assuming solid is the heaviest weighing guitars from the 50s, an "old school" ? How heavy were they ?

2. RombardO

RombardO Senior Member

Well basically solid body means that the guitar hasn't been weight-relieved or chambered. Yes they can be very heavy, +10 lbs (some may even be as high as 12-13 lbs)

3. KenG

KenG Senior Member

50's burst were from 8.5 - 9.5 lbs for the most part. Some a little heavier some a little lghter. When Norlin started sourcing cheaper, smaller pieces of mahogany the weight went up significantly. After that Gibson USA started weight relieving the guitars.

4. Oranjeaap

Oranjeaap Senior Member

In my opinion even the chambered Les Pauls are solid body guitars.

I would say there are 3 kinds of electric guitars:

Solid body = Les Paul, Stratocaster, Telecaster etc,
    Semi-Hollow
    Hollow body

5. nutsauce

nutsauce Senior Member

A non weigh-relieved guitar can actually be lighter than a weight-relieved if it's a good piece of wood.

Louie likes this.
  6. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

ryanmichael95 likes this.
  7. 87Standard

87Standard Senior Member

I find it amusing that some people assume lighter wood is 'better' than heavier. My guess is that it's just less dense ...

Different? perhaps. But EVERY piece of wood is different. That's the nature of wood.

Better? I sure as heck don't know but I think the importance has been WAY overhyped

Back in the '80s they started weight-relieving and most of us played these guitars for 20 years before anyone even knew they were weight-relieved.

These LPs played and sounded GREAT then and still do today. Sometimes ignorance is bliss ;)

HOT-BRIT likes this.
  8. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

Its Easy to get to caught up in all the details, but there are good sounding heavier Les Paul's and good sounding lighter ones also

9. 87Standard

87Standard Senior Member

exactly

10. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Member

I've been playing since 58-59 or so, purchased more guitars than I can remember, and never considered weighing any of the untill I started dealing with these forums.
    To make a long story short, I have gotten great sound out of both heavy guitars and light ones.
    I have to think that Gibson knows that the weight of the wood is not really a good determination of the musical qualities of that wood, within limits of course. So, with that in mind, and in order to produce a lighter guitar with heavier stock, they began producing the weight relieved bodies. And, I have to believe that considerable effort was put into determining just how much wood could be removed without having an impact on the sound. That's my take on the "weight relieved" bodies.
    I'm just going to guess that the chambering system is an extension of the process, with Gibson experimenting to see just what impact the new body would have on sound, and eventually sales.

11. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

here's one:

[​IMG]

12. Longboots

Longboots Senior Member

10 plus lb ? wow thats heavy isn't it ? I had no idea that electric guitar can be so heavy. Anybody get back injury from it ? :hmm:

13. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

ALL LPs are solid bodies regardless of whether or not they are chambered or weight-relieved. The difference between them and their non-weight relieved counterparts is, historical-accuracy.

Now, I'm not saying that they are not different in a lot of cases, but I can gurantee you that most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a CR8 ('58 Chambered Reissue) and a regular '58 RI, if they didn't know which was which?

Even though there is a sgnificant amount of wood removed durring the chambering process, it's still a solid piece of timber. Same thing goes for weight-relieving.

14. JB6464

JB6464 Senior Member

It's not solid if most of the wood is removed before the cap is glued on now is it ?.
    That would leave an open cavaty between the cap and what's left of the back of the guitar which would no doubt change the tone of the instrument.
    Solid would be a cap glued directly onto the main body wood with no air pocket like a Historic LP or like a Gibson Explorer.
    I have played many LP's over the last 25 years and side by side you can hear the difference between a Solid body LP and a chambered LP. I can't hear the difference in a weight-relieved swiss cheese LP and a Solid body but you sure can when it's chambered.
    Warmoth has been doing this way long before Gibson started and even in a bolt-on chambered guitar bodies , you can hear a big differenece in tones.
    Microphones don't lie , there is a difference. If you can't hear the difference between a CR8 and a solid body R8 Historic in the studio than it's time for hearing aids and retirement.
    Not that one is better than the other , but there is a tonal difference.

15. dcmey

dcmey Senior Member

There is a little bit of differance in sound, but quite a differance in feel. I own one LP it's chambered but I have played weight relieved and solid, to me it's does guitar sound but some people have it in their head that if it's chambered that it sucks without even trying one out first.