Upgrades for my Les Paul Epoch

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by ODD1991, Feb 18, 2009.

1. ODD1991

ODD1991 Senior Member

If i have posted this in the wrong place will you tell me please?

Hi, i have been playing guitar for around 1 year now. My first guitar was a fender copy but now i have a Gibson/Baldwin Les Paul Epoch. I have changed the image to the guitar and i now want to upgrade the performance (sound).​

Here are pics of my Les Paul after the visual upgrades.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Midway

[​IMG]

heres a pic when it was standard

[​IMG]

i have heard of upgrading the obvious such as pickups, but is there any other components that can be upgraded to improve the sound quality e.g. reduce buzzing.

I am not scared of hard work as long as it would improve my guitar.

I would appreciate any help. thanks for viewing​

2. ojedad23

ojedad23 the oj guy Premium Member

Anything that touches the strings and wood could be upgraded to higher quality, like tune o matic tailpiece, ridge, tuning keys , nut ....

3. ODD1991

ODD1991 Senior Member

hi thanks for the interest,is there any way to cahnge te standard wraparound tailpiece to the traditional two piece set?

4. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Hi! Welcome to MLP! :wave:

Let's begin!

Wiring (caps, pots, wiring, etc.): www.tonemojo.com or visitor message user Jonesy. You can find his thread on wiring kits and his prices in the business classifieds here at the forum. He can sell you just caps or entire wiring kits and he personally stands behind his work. I can vouch for him, as many other members can, as being one of the most generous and hardworking men here. His prices aren't bad either :naughty:

On another note, many members use RSGuitarworks - RS Guitarworks Online Store for their wiring kits and have very good things to say.

Pickups: I always present two choices, though there are many out there. First is the budget pups you can find at www.guitarfetish.com . There are guys that swear these outplay Seymour Duncans and all of those mass-market pups. The other option is all out boutique, hand-wound pickups such as www.wbpickups.com although there are some other winders here on the forum besides Will. Again, I can vouch for Will's (WBPickups) quality and his dedication to making sure you get exactly what you want.

Nut: Anything is better than plastic, graphite, tusq, ivory, bleached bone, unbleached bone, whatever works for you. Just make sure you take it to a trusted tech or luthier for the work if you're not confident yourself.

Hardware: Here is where it's tricky, no one probably makes replacement hardware for the Epoch. You'll just have to shop around, take some measurements, and email some folks. Try going to stewmac.com and emailing their customer service and asking them.

Tuners: there are plenty of styles but locking and vintage seem to be the most prevalent. Guitarfetish also selling some tuners from Wilkenson which are supposed to be good for the money.

Hope this helps!! :)

5. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Of course! you can fill the holes for the original wraparound (unless someone makes a bridge adapter?) and then redrill for an ABR-1, Nashville, or Gotoh style bridge of your choosing. Then you just drill for the tailpiece studs.

One thing to consider: is the body thick enough to support the studs for the tail piece? Another thing: will the bridge/tailpiece sit too far back and make playing uncomfortable?

And again, if you aren't confident about this, its best to take it to a luthier.

At the end of the day, half of the upgrades you're probably interested in are probably going to go over the original cost of the guitar. If you're cool with that, go wild! :dude:

6. ojedad23

ojedad23 the oj guy Premium Member

I dontt know but I'm sure somebody will

7. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

I like the guitar as it is now, but to be honest. I like this look better (just my opinion! :D)

[​IMG]

8. ODD1991

ODD1991 Senior Member

thanks djwilbanks, i have read all your info and im not scared to change bits such as the nut. will the bridge/tailpiece be an improvement on the original wraparound?

as for the stripes, at the point you preferred i was debating whether to continue or not but i went for my original idea of replicating the "pimp stripes" of synyster gates' schecter.

9. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

That's cool, man.

And I would honestly just look for an adjustable/intonating wraparound. Less work and it'll be about the same. Think PRS.

10. ODD1991

ODD1991 Senior Member

thanks again, the tailpiece is adjustable (height).

is changing the nut worth doing and what material would you suggest?

thanks for those websites but as i live in the UK the best source of guitar stuff is off eBay.

11. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

jonesy does worldwide shipping for cheap, I believe.

And you could see if you could find a wraparound that intonates. I can't remember what they're called but there are aftermarket pigtails that fit LP juniors. One might fit that one. That being said, that guitar is probably metric so you'll need parts that will fit an epiphone if eve those will work.

And yes, the plastic nut is usually the cause of most tuning problems. I'd go with bone or tusq (which is synthetic bone).

12. ODD1991

ODD1991 Senior Member

hi, thaks again djwilbanks.

i have been searching on the net and found a set of tuning pegs. could you have a look at the link below and give yur opinion.

Gibson Tuners Kluson

also what are epiphone pickups like. i can pick a set up for cheap as i dont have a big budget to buy seymour duncans or anyhting like that?