Tokai VS Greco VS Burny VS Orville

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Kitarist, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Kitarist

Kitarist Senior Member

I'm in a hunt for a nice MIJ Les Paul and i'm still not sure for which brand should i go for?

Which of these feel and sound great? And dont have really fat necks (dont like fat necks)

Share your opinions!!!

Thanks!!!

2. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

These is an almost identical thread to yours already...run a search as I do not think it is that buried :D

3. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

Neck shapes vary greatly, and what is called a 59 shape by one maker feels like a 60 shape from another, the only real way to find the neck you want is to play the guitars, and with the market you are looking at this is probably not gonna happen.

I'd look at a new Tokai or Edwards and just order the specs you want.

4. L60N

L60N Senior Member

MIJ Epi is 100% worth a look in that bunch.

I played an Ebony elitist in the store and it was so sweet. Perfect craftsmanship and it felt quality, that feeling you cant put your finger on, when you hold something, it either feels quality or it doesnt, well the elitist felt more quality than the LS95F next to it. As said the craftsmanship was faultless, the whole neck was sooooo well made. Honestly, faultless.

I would have owned it had the previous owner looked after it a touch more, or had the price been lower. They were asking £750 for a hard gigged elitist, no thanks..

5. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

Just search this 'Other Les Pauls' section to find many threads about the guitars you are interested in.

6. hank

hank Senior Member

Whew, you are wearing me out with this spam. :hmm:

On a serious note, I've tried them all. All have good and better. Only you can decide for yourself.

7. Kitarist

Kitarist Senior Member

Guys just send me all your guitars to me i promise i'll return them!!! :D :D

8. Kitarist

Kitarist Senior Member

9. iidoido

iidoido Member

Tokai. No doubt.
    But if you plan to buy the cheapest Tokai model, you should go with the Gibson Les Paul Studio.

10. L60N

L60N Senior Member

Tokai :D

[​IMG]

11. Kølabrennern

Kølabrennern Senior Member

Don't some Burny RLGs come with a slim neck? Also you get fret edge binding on almost all models, at least those I have seen. Lucrative. :)

I've been jonesing BAD for this one that the japanguitars.co.uk guy has for sale:
    [​IMG]

12. tonebone

tonebone Senior Member

$1,200 USD.

Why anyone would be buying anything else for that same amount of money is beyond me. 2 piece back is not that big of a deal breaker.

'Corse, getting that into the USA will be somewhat more expensive due to customs fees, which you will get hit with because it's coming from GB.

13. Evyatar

Evyatar Junior Member

14. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my 97 Orville, the best guitar I've ever owned including the Gibsons it replaced.

15. northlight

northlight Senior Member

lp_junkie, what pickups do you have in that beauty? Also, have you changed the electronics?

16. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

The current configuration is Stew Mac Golden Age pickups, the Zebra is the hot version, the electronics are switchcraft and CTS parts, I am still searching for the right capacitors, and change them often in this guitar.

All the aging on the hardware is done from sweat and years of live gigs, it's the original hardware...... the plastics are Gibson parts.

It's got nicks and dings mostly on the back but a few on the top that really aren't noticeable unless you are playing it.

I dumped three Gibsons for this guitar and it became my #1 stage/studio guitar in 97 when I bought it new in Osaka Japan.

17. northlight

northlight Senior Member

Man! It must talk to you mate, my '98 Orville custom has really grown on me in the past week, like no other(and i'm a big fan of Tokai). There's just something special about it, can't really put it into words. Thats before i put some decent electronics in it, it just feels great to play.

18. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

I knew this one was it when I picked it up the first time, I played 35 different Les Pauls at that shop that day and bought three Orvilles, this one, a tobacco burst and an amber faded burst, all three consecutively serial numbered 710001, 002, 003 the one in the pic is 710002.

The Tobacco burst was sold to Dave's Guitars in LaCrosse Wisconsin and the Amber faded was sold in Chicago.

19. villager

villager Senior Member

coming from France actually, still E.U. but very few of the guitars I have shipped to the USA have had customs charges imposed, I don't know what the USA customs criteria for taxing is, but it seems to be somewhat random and pretty rare in my experience..

20. NoStatic

NoStatic Banned

A friend of mine for a while had an identical looking Orville to this one, and by gosh it was a good player. It has the usual Orville pickups issues though- if they and the guts had been replaced, that guitar, like yours, would have been a keeper. He ultimately decided he couldnt live with photoflame- poor thing had unkindly been dubbed "The Wallpaper" and he moved it on....