Seymour Duncan Joe Bonamassa Signature Pickup Set

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by EEF13, Jan 22, 2012.

1. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

Joe Bonamassa Signature Pickup Set

The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop has teamed up with blues-rock virtuoso Joe Bonamassa to produce the Joe Bonamassa Signature Pickup Set. This immaculately crafted and calibrated dual-humbucker set accurately replicates the P.A.F. pickups in Joe’s beloved 1959 sunburst Les Paul®. Their rich, dynamic, and nuanced voice will appeal to all tone connoisseurs who cherish the passion and power of the original humbucker.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI1WkkMyTao]The Custom Shop Joe Bonamassa Signature Pickup Set - YouTube[/ame]

Shai`tan, d1m1, 5F6-A and 1 other person like this.
  2. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Senior Member

Id like to try 'em....wonder about pricing?

3. ElectricMojo

ElectricMojo Senior Member

That's really cool.
    Thanks.

4. cessnapilot182

cessnapilot182 Senior Member

Just saw the post on SD's facebook. I'm calling the custom shop tomorrow to find out about pricing..so far the only way to order then is through the custom shop..so we'll see what happens.

5. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Probably pass..............I rather run Sheptone Tributes, OTPG, Stephens Design VL '61's or Vintage PAF's.

However, it would be good to get a set for objective testing, side by side with the others to see if what they say is right, or just more marketing hype. :)

:hmm:...................I wonder what happened to the Bonamassa Custom Set that JG / Throbak did???

:cheers:

6. sj250

sj250 Senior Member

And I guarantee that I still wouldn't sound anything like Joe. Oh well

5 people like this.
  7. kmrumedy

kmrumedy Senior Member

1959 sets. I was thinking Gibson would start putting these in the JB signatures as a great marketing and product offering. That would be cool. Would need more sets to be produced though.

1 person likes this.
  8. milllhouse

milllhouse Member

So you are saying that you would rather run either very expensive boutique sets or the originals, without even trying Joe's signature set for yourself?

Quality decision making process there. I would assume that even after you hear the signature set in your own guitar, you would still like the others. Predisposed opinion, and you are worried about marketing hype? Looks like you have bought into other hype. The hype that money buys tone, and having no idea what these run, but assuming they will be cheaper since they are SD. You have no idea what these are about other than one youtube video, and you are talking about how you would rather use other pups. I am not saying the pups that you listed aren't good. You just can't say these aren't up to par without playing them. I am not saying that your opinion doesn't matter, or is invalid, but I would rather hear your opinion on an item, after you have actually used that item. :hmm:

1 person likes this.
  9. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

I thought it was Bill Megela, Motor City p'ups the one that did a set for him...? :confused:

10. tolm

tolm Senior Member

Hmmm ... I've been looking for some lower-output, PAF-style humbuckers to put in my SG and play blues and blues/rock.

I've also just booked tickets to go see Mr Bonamassa in March.

Goddamn it, Seymour - stop stalking me!!

1 person likes this.
  11. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

:shock:.............oh my, you obviously have not read any of my posts on pickup testing have you?? You also did not read my post for meaning either did you? I can see that English is your first language so please have have another read.............for meaning this time. What did I say in line two?

OK let's cover off a few things shall we?

Firstly, Sheptone Tributes which I currently have in a '58 Replica with Throbak covers (see Avatar) sound awesome. They actually came in 2nd best to original Vintage '59 PAF's...........in a totally blind shootout (PM your Email address & I'll send you the files)...........so this was a no brainer. Your ears don't lie.

I want Vintage PAF tone, not modern PAF tone. Sheptone Tributes are a very low cost boutique option, compared to most of the other boutique options..........& they offer great Vintage PAF tone................no I am not paid to say this.

I have also tried numerous other sets, including the Throbak Bonamassa Custom Set that was specially wound for JB (but obviously Seymour Duncan has a fatter wallet)..............they rated 3rd best, but for me, way behind the Tributes. The others are not worth mentioning here.

My decision on SD VL '61's are based on sound clips, numerous friends who have Histprics & Replicas & have bought & used SD pickups & my Emails with Dave. Same goes for the OTPG pickups.............if I can get a set. Cost & brand name has nothing to do with the decision making process.

I also have two sets of different Häussel Pickups I have to try in this guitar..............& standard set that I have in a CR8 Historic & '59 Set.....................hence my statement.................."probably pass"................:shock:...........to which I added, "however it would be good to get a set for objective testing" etc.

For the record I have always thought the SD '59 was a good all round pickup.

Now call me cynical, but most big name brand products (not all, but most) sell off endorsement...................backed by $$$$$......& more $$$$$.

Sheptone Tributes, OTPG, Skatterbranes, Stephens Designs, Häussels & many others sell off user recommendation, sound clips, forum users..........players not getting paid $$$$$$ to use them.......................so for the time being I'll pass & focus on the ones I have been working through..................including possibly ordering a set of SB's Earthbranes.

So next time you care to pass judgement on a post, don't assume you know how my or anyone's mind works, because you don't.......................when you assume, you make an "ass" out of "U" & "me"! Next time ask for clarification. :)

2 people like this.
  12. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Sorry LK, I cannot comment on that one. Apparently the Black Knight that Tom Bartlett built with Magnus Melkersson's input for Joe Bonamassa via Kim LaFleur at HM, used the Throbak Bonamassa Custom Set.

I think I saw a post where John Gundry said he was looking to bring this set out etc...........although I cannot speak for John so maybe he can clarify this point.

13. rocknhorse1

rocknhorse1 Senior Member

I can't believe the hype involved with ALL pickups. They are JUST guitar pickups. To me, no set of pickups ever made is worth more than $200. Seymour puts a lot into marketing, but other boutique winders put a lot of time into trolling the forums. They hype their stuff, it's just a different way because their pockets aren't as deep as old Seymour.

2 people like this.
  14. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

You are 100% spot on I think. :thumb:

From memory the cost to make a pickup including parts & labor etc. is ~ $40 each.............give or take. I suppose Stephens Designs cost more because he makes most of his parts..............others buy parts.

Seymour Duncan churns them out like bread rolls, so margins can be lower, with price & margins built on sales volume.............boutique guys build several sets at a time...............so price & margins have to be higher on lower sales output.

Easy to work all this out if you have a brain...........& let us not forget endorsements. I can really see JB using a SD Amp! :laugh2: :)

15. Bluesky

Bluesky Senior Member

Definitely will try a set. The Price of some of these Boutique replacements have gotten nuts. I Love SD Antiquity PAF's.

16. milllhouse

milllhouse Member

OK. So I was wrong in assuming how your mind works. My point, that you avoided, remains the same. You are writing these off, either based on some preconceived notion, or a youtube clip, rather than your own experience with them, and your comment was useless, other than to promote your own opinion of more expensive pups.

It just gets really old hearing people write off, bash, or down talk, lesser more affordable options, without any testing or proof.

Apparently neither does real world testing.

I prefer not to post an opinion on something unless I have actually used it. I don't base my words on someone's own opinion, or an ill recorded youtube clip played back through a computer. Too bad in the internet age, others don't use the same discretion.

Jason

1 person likes this.
  17. bluefrog

bluefrog Senior Member

WFT ad is ... JB tells blabla the whole time, instead of telling whether this
    axe he is noodling on has the signature set in or not. For I d say no this is his
    59 stock. the other one which SD has and is short shown near the end may be the
    sign-test-lester. and why they dont just a kind a compare A/B instead that.
    This wd be a kind a help. Otherwise a hype-hype-drolling vid.

1 person likes this.
  18. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Hi Jason, I am in the middle of trying all this other stuff out & don't have the time to try these..............hence I said pass so I can focus on the others that I had previously decided on, well before this set was released.............but for objectivity sake it would be good to try a set............so no argument there.

A lot of my older guitars (Guild Bluesbirds, which I no longer have) had SD '59's in them. At the time I thought they were pretty good pickups...........& great value for money.

Again you can't pass judgement on how I go about things..........for example, I use a specific set of Sennheiser Cans to listen to a lot of clips (many uncompressed). I have also done a lot of live testing with numerous guitars & pickups. For Humbucker testing we use the same guitar, same Bogner Shiva (with EL34's in this case) & Bogner Cab, same Colossal Guitar & Speaker Cables...............same settings, same group of players, playing the same stuff. What you also don't know is that I have been involved with the development of pickups (Humbuckers & Strat Single Coils) via my business partner in Australia (who is a very skilled Luthier). My only complaint with this is that he prefers a more modern PAF tone, whereas I prefer a more Vintage PAF tone...............well I am 52, so that is what my ears like & my Shiva does not like to have the preamp section whacked with a big input signal; e.g. like Burstbucker 1's & Burstbucker 2's typically do.

The players who help with the work we do, range from me..........crappy (but I do have a good ear :laugh2:)............all the way up to some of this country's finest (one of which I have no doubt could outplay most of the current famous guitarists)......................& some from the US when they are touring here.

I think you can get the picture now Jason. I am not bagging SD..........I just don't have the time right now because I want to test the other stuff.......that is my priority & if I am stupid enough to buy them...........well, then I am stupid.......:laugh2:

Regarding prices, what is the cost for a set of SD '59's in the US...............maybe $220 a set. Well, I just checked Shep's site & a set of Tributes + Raw Nickel Covers run at $264 / set + shipping. Now I ask you...................hardly a way over priced over hyped Boutique set are they?

How much are the SD JB's? No doubt add another $20 - $50 per set! To be fair, if you are a young kid with no money or you are struggling to raise some cash then I can understand that an extra $50 makes a big difference...........we've all been in this situation (well most of us.........I certainly have).

Cheers, Rudi

19. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I emailed SD to ask about pricing. I didn't see a lot of hype in the video. Joe said they made several sets and he tested them and the set he chose were real close to his '59 and good enough for him to use on stage that night. I can't do that type of testing, so having Joe do it is worth something to me. Maybe I'm too naive. I'll let you know if I hear back on the pricing.

20. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Thanks Drew, a price would be a good start for many here. Your reasoning is fine. :thumb: If you like JB's tone (& most do) you might get lucky & they'll work for you. If you don't like them you can always sell them on the forum.............worst case you'll more than likely get your money back, so no major loss & you'll learn something. :)