Recording a Rock Band

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Freddy G, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I am going to produce/record a band this weekend....well, I mean we're starting to track this weekend. I'm pretty excited because the band is very good, we've got a great room to record in, and I'm bringing out all of my "big guns" equipment.
    That band is pretty heavy rock...similar to perhaps Breaking Benjamin or Theory of a Dead Man.
    Anyway, if the band doesn't mind I think it might be fun and educational if I do a sort of recording diary thread....what do you think? Anybody interested?

2. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

:cheers: Definitely interested!

I just did a few REALLY basic recordings of the latest incarnation of the band I used to be in this weekend. They weren't really interested in doing anything more than sticking a mic in the middle of the room and recording each song in one take. The positioning of the equipment was limiting as well, so they didn't turn out too well. I just gave them the raw recordings, and that's all they were interested in, but I'm going to see if I can play with some filtering and stuff to make them sound better. It'll just be some blind experimenting though.

I'm hoping to get the chance to go back and do some real recordings with them in a couple weeks. I'm torn though, because I'm really interested in doing it for the experience, but at the same time, I don't want to just offer my services for free. I did the recordings this weekend for free (other than the $10 the drummer has owed me for forever and the guitar stand that I never took with me when I left). I want to offer to do one song the right way for free, but then charge for any song after that, but then I know that they'll just want the free one and nothing more...

1 person likes this.
  3. tampa898

tampa898 Senior Member

Sounds cool Freddy. I have a project on the go as well would be kind of neat to share whats going on. Is it OK if we post clips in this thread?

Pete

4. stinger

stinger Senior Member

I'd be absolutely interested! Looking forward to it!!

5. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

hell yeah! love to hear what everyone's doing :thumb:

6. renthepen

renthepen Senior Member

Don't be silly ;)

You know we all want that recording diary thread...

7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Freddy, I'd certainly subscribe that thread. Hell yeah.

8. EvLectric

EvLectric Senior Member

Please do!

9. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

Sounds cool! I will subscribe!

10. tampa898

tampa898 Senior Member

Great I'll try to get a clip up tonight. Nothing with vox yet been working on guitars the past few nights. Drums are down on most as well as bass and guitar. Still have a long way to go.

11. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

So many times on this forum (usually in Luthier's Corner) people have commented on how clean, tidy and organized my shop is. Well for the past couple of days I have been checking and testing every piece of audio recording equipment that I'm going to use to record the band this weekend. The band's name is "Crutch" BTW.
    Anyway, this is one time where my shop looks like a tornado came through :D
    So I just took my camera and did a walk around filming everything that is on the bench and being tested.
    This vid style is actually inspired by that awesome Neil Young's Studio vid that Nicolas posted.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YdzibaWesY]Producing the band "Crutch" Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

2 people like this.
  12. babatube

babatube Senior Member

great thread:dude:
    looks like the band is in for a treat.
    waiting for updates

13. tampa898

tampa898 Senior Member

Freddy that place is a palace compared to mine. Good luck with the tracking.

14. Orvillian

Orvillian Senior Member

So Freddy, what is the story with the Origin stuff? I assume you are involved with it since I see your email on the website. Is there a pricelist for any of this stuff?... I am a sucker for a compressor.

Looks like you are going to have a fun weekend with the Crutch fellas. I am envious.

15. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

The Origin stuff is all handbuilt by me. When I started building this stuff my mission statement was to build the best gear I could, money no object. I sell some of it here and there, but unless I can move into production mode I'm afraid it's very time consuming for me to do. But for example I've been selling the compressors (OA-2B) for just a bit more than $3000.

And yeah, I'm a sucker for a compressor too. I think I could record and mix an entire project with no EQ if I had to, but I have to have compression.

16. Orvillian

Orvillian Senior Member

Looking forward to hearing some of the gear in action.

17. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

Damn I'd love one of your compressors or that 8 channel pre!! So sweet!

18. mattinthehat7492

mattinthehat7492 Senior Member

Man, this is gonna be great. This should really help me too, cause the band I play with is doing the RPM challenge this month. Write and record an album in February. I look forward to using some of the info I'll undoubtedly get from this thread! Thank you for taking the time to do this Freddy.

19. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Well, we had a marathon session yesterday. We cut beds for the entire album. 12 songs. The room sounded spectacular, and the band was really ON. Holy moly did that drummer lay down the law, he was just on fire and intensely heavy...at the end of the day the area around the kit looked like beavers had attacked a forest! wood chips everywhere. :applause:
    I'll post some pics and vid clips soon, I didn't get too much with my own camera because I was too busy with the recording process. But there was a photographer there and she took some video footage as well so I'll have to wait until they get that material to me.
    But I can say one thing for sure, I think the one crucial element technically in the drum kit recording will be the room mic. The drums just sounded like canons in there....I used my Origin G7 large diaphragm tube mic in omni mode about 10-12 feet away from the kit. When the drummer first wacked the snare everyone was like "Holy Sh*t!!!" So that visceral element actually drove the vibe and performances to a higher level.

5 people like this.
  20. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

What are you using for headphones for the band? Amps for reference tracks or DI's

Did you work with clicks or just go for feel?