Post your EXTREME makeovers!

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Iceman0124, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

I've seen some great transformations scattered around, figure it would be cool to get them in one place:cool:

This isnt for pup/plastic swaps etc,but major work IE refins, restorations, significant addition/subtractions of wood etc, simply put the before and afters should look radically different

Heres my Studio VM Last did a total overhaul on ( sorry if some of you are sick of it already...I'm just really proud to own it:thumb:)

Before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She looked good stock in direct sunlight, and I didnt buy it as a project. The thin sin they put on these was just way too thin...whatever the previous owner used to clean/polish took all the nitro off the back of the nack and liekely other parts as well....after 10-20 minutes or so of play....I got a horrible strong mettalic taste in my mouth from the cherry stain...(it sucked)

Talked to member Last about it....and within less than a week of owning it it was on its way to MO:laugh2:

After many long weeks and tons of ideas....I got to celebrate probably my best NGD so far...and I've had quite a few over the years:shock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

3. standard man

standard man Senior Member

God I love that thing Ice! :thumb:

4. i am wet

i am wet Senior Member

get ready to see this major overhaul...

[​IMG]

turned into...

[​IMG]

:O

5. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

C'mon man....:rolleyes: I've never purposefully shit in any of your threads...why did you feel the need to in mine?

6. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

The red top with dark back is stunning.

I have no makeover to contribute but looking forward to seeing some.

7. i am wet

i am wet Senior Member

that wasn't meant to be mean or anything! it's just all i've done to my guitar!

8. chipper

chipper Senior Member

OK, this isn't mine, but this one has had an extreme makeover. It may have been on MLP before, I can't remember.

I can't post pics directly because they're not mine, but here is a link to a luthiers site in NZ...

Mr Glyn's guitar repair: Les Paul

9. Strikerfox

Strikerfox Senior Member

Great looking Les Paul Ice! Love the Glossy finish but you still can see the grain clearly.
    I have refinished 2 strats, one in tobacco burst, the other in a cherry burst. I scrounged up a few pictures, not the whole process but some nonetheless.

BTW, Ive always felt that a Les Paul needs binding. Eventhough I like Studios, they look naked w.o the binding.

[​IMG]
    Original American Strat. Poly Finish. Finish was worn and dented.
    [​IMG]
    Poly Finish being degooped.
    [​IMG]
    Most of the Goop taken off.
    [​IMG]
    Mostly Sanded Off not completely.
    Cant find the paint and nitro spraying parts at the moment.
    Made Some Slash Inspired Parts on my Own....
    [​IMG]
    For all our Slash Fans:
    [​IMG]
    Tobacco Finish. 11 or 12 Layers of Nitro if i remember correctly. Nice Shine.
    [​IMG]
    Full guitar, I think I used phone camera, makes guitar look really dark. In reality looks like it came out of the Fender Custom Shop.
    [​IMG]
    Heres another pic of the Start with my 2001 Les Paul Studio in Pewter finish. I was experimenting with Line6, not the best move on my part...
    [​IMG]

10. jiveturkey1

jiveturkey1 Senior Member

My Squire '51 project, after.
    [​IMG]

11. Satch0922

Satch0922 Senior Member

Bought this RR3 on ebay 6 years ago for $200. Paint and Dimarzios made it a fun nod to RR.

02 RR3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. bullpentherapy

bullpentherapy Senior Member

i have said it before and will say it again, i love mY VM and now youres is an absolute beautiful piece of art, but did it change its tone at all, because i really love the tone of my VM{big difference without the maple cap} and dont want to screw that up, otherwise i will be sending it out to last to do a project on mine!

13. ElectricGuitarist33

ElectricGuitarist33 Senior Member

Not a Gibson, but a wine red 06 Highway One Telecaster that I picked up a few years ago, brutally scratched not long after. It was a worn flat finish, to begin with, so I dismantled it, stripped everything that was on it, lightly sanded to get rid of the crap, cleaned it off, and painted it in this weird blue color, using car paint. I put a few clear coats on, and left it for a bit. I wanted a black guard, and I was waiting for one to just show up somewhere I guess. I don't know why I picked this blue, other than I think I might have been going for the Super Cheese.

Ended up not touching it for a while, until about 6 months ago, my brother, for no reason, just buys me some Fender Samasium Cobalt noiseles Tele pickups. Cool, I install them, but I didn't want to put this thing back together, until I had that pickguard.

Until Yesterday. I went to see about the guard, it was not to found, so, I said '**** it!' , I'll keep the white one, and here it is. This is a really awesome Tele. I shit you not, if I only had this guitar, I'd be very content.

Attached Files:

14. JamesD

JamesD Senior Member

As many of you know, I like to refinish guitars as well. I refinished my '97 Classic a few times before I was finally happy. Here's the short story....

Original Gibson finish:

[​IMG]

The makeover.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Ben McLean

Ben McLean Member

Hell, I'll weigh in to this thread.

Here's a few pics of my extreme makeover Gibby. Originally a '74 Les paul Custom, ebony black. Some nameless peice of work routed the body binding front and back, leaving what you see now. Headstock and neck all smashed up. Free routed the middle HB hole. Added the little hole between the pots. It's been drilled five times (FIVE TIMES!) for strap buttons.

Came with no electrics at all. Fitted Dimarzio pups I had laying around, original brass nut, original bridge, old speed knobs, Schaeller tuners, new everything else.

Brought her back as good as I could. Body nitro finished, neck as smooth as butter.

Beautiful, earthy, solid monster. My trailer park guitar. Yee ha.

Attached Files:

16. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

Fair enough, it was the first photo contribution, and the second line of the thread read

"This isnt for pup/plastic swaps etc,but major work IE refins, restorations, significant addition/subtractions of wood etc, simply put the before and afters should look radically different"

I can understand getting a bunch of posts like that when thread gets several pages long as folks just roll with the last page (been guilty of that many times) but for a first reply that kinda irked me :shock: ...its all good:cool:

Some really cool stuff here:thumb: Love the big flake copper/orange on Jive's S'51:cool:. I always loved JamesD's rum and coke burst...one of the classiest bursts I've seen.:applause:

Bens stripped down custom looks really fricking cool.:shock:..I dont really like customs either..

Tone is radically different in a good way...I'm sure just the refin had a fairly significant impact but I also had all the lectronics and pups changed so it better have a different tone:laugh2:

Had this

[​IMG]

yanked out for this

[​IMG]

And the BBpros swapped out for a 57 classic neck and unpotted Burstbucker 3 bridge. She's sounds a lot more like a hot rodded vintage standard, she's a lot brighter sounding and more cryptically ..."tighter and focused" I'm happy:thumb:

17. Last

Last The Cleaner Premium Member

WoW!

Do you ever know how to take pics man! :cool:

[​IMG]

Almost didn't even recognize the damn thing!

Time for a beer me thinks. Hey it IS FATHERS DAY after all. :D

I'll dig through some of my albums for this thread, though I'm sure I've posted most of them throughout the two years I've been here would be nice to have them all in one thread.

Great idea!

Love seeing some of the other members refins too.

Some very talented people in here to be sure.

18. Last

Last The Cleaner Premium Member

I gotta ask James as I've never done color over binding (yet)~!

Is this as hard as it l@@ks? :hmm:

[​IMG]

Also for removing the existing finish how did you go about removing it with the plastic binding in place?

I mean strippers will surely melt that binding & sanding can change your top carve.

Care to share? :D

19. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

Extreme is right...as in extremely fugly! :shock:

20. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Ice, your guitar turned out GORGEOUS! That's just a stunning guitar. Kudos to both you and VM. I don't think any LP fan would mind having that one.