Poles vs. blades/rails

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by SpinWheelz, Jun 9, 2009.

1. SpinWheelz

SpinWheelz Senior Member

I'm curious to learn why poles seem to be preferred over blades/rails in pickup construction - why is that? What do poles get you in terms of pickup tonal quality that you don't with blades? Is it simply a cost thing? In the area of string bending, I would think that if a blade picks up vibrations all the along the course of that blade, wouldn't that be a better than poles that lose the signal when the strings are bent away from them?

Any insight?

2. WildeStarr

WildeStarr V.I.P. Member

I use EMG's. No pole pieces... no problem.

:thumb:

[​IMG]

3. SpinWheelz

SpinWheelz Senior Member

Great, thanks for explaining not a whole lot. Great plug, though.

4. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

:laugh2:

5. Paragon

Paragon Senior Member

Wildstar, it is just a cover. Chances are it looks like THIS

6. dennistruckdriver

Just post the photo, like THIS:

[​IMG]

7. WildeStarr

WildeStarr V.I.P. Member

I explained everything you need to know. You just didn't understand.

:thumb:

8. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

I know very little but, here is a couple of things I have heard....

pole pieces allow for the adjustment of the volume of each area under the strings...

peolpe used to file their Charlie Christan PUs because the mids were too high....

but there is some loss of volume when a bent string moves away from the pole piece.....

this is what I have heard so how accurate these explanations are I do not know....

9. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Well, if you think about it, the magnet poles are what is receiving vibrations from the string and in turn transmitting sound back to the amplifier. Now, as long as the string is directly over the pole, you will have the strongest reception off of said pole.

Bend a string, and the signal may get weaker, or it might be split between 2 poles depending on how hard you bend the string.

This isn't an issue with a blade since at no time does a string stray from a position away from a magnetic pole..(you're not focused on one pole position or being phased between 2 magnetic poles...the blade is just one long magnet set across the width of the pickup.)

From a technical perspective, this is going to offer superior reception off of the vibrations of the strings...HOWEVER, this doesn't necessarily mean that it will be the most pleasing to a player. It's the same argument with microphones: In essence, a pickup is a microphone, and a microphone that offers the most response and output isn't necessarily what is desired for a certain tone.

(Which is why a lot of people like the older microphones...same deal.)

10. Paragon

Paragon Senior Member

I know you like posting pics.. I think we all have figured that out by now :D. I leave that to you.. I like links at times.. lets ppl investigate for themselves.

11. uOpt

uOpt Senior Member

The sound is different. The blades give you a more "Hi-fi" sound, the poles have a more complex behavior.

12. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

The pickup's concentrated or focused magnetic field through steel screws as 'pole pieces', essentially direct the magnetic flux into a small area where you want it, by a single string.

It's not the string that is inducing the current in the coil, it's the string's magnetic fields interferrence with the magnetic field around the coil that generates current. The strength (flux) and intensity (flux density) affect the pickup performance. Also a magnetic field drops off very rapidly with distance. Setting the correct height of the pickup magnets from the strings is crucial to performance, as is where the coil sits in the magnetic field.

13. dennistruckdriver

'Ppl' don't want to 'investigate'; they want to see what you are talking about. If you have 'figured it out', then just post the photos.:rolleyes:

14. fatb0t

fatb0t Senior Member

hahahah!