Pickup upgrades

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by splinteh, Feb 23, 2010.

1. splinteh

splinteh Senior Member

What are the best type of pickups? Right now I own the 498 t's that came on my Epiphone Les Paul custom. So far I've heard of Seymour Duncan's. What other choices are there? Is there anything better?

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Is there something wrong with the ones you have?

Other choices? I would say there are hundreds of choices among the dozens of "consumer" pickups out there, not counting the myriad of "boutique" pups available.

Which one is better? Impossible to say. IMO the best pickup with the best tone is going to be the one _you_ like.

What "sound" are you going for?

3. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

as stinkfoot says, depends what u play and want. Feel free to tell :)

4. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Did you buy your Custom used? Do you mean 498ts, like in two? :hmm:

5. Iancognito

Iancognito Senior Member

Lots of pickup choice, as everyone says. What don't you like about them and what sound are you after? If you like them, don't change them. Have you tried adjusting the height and that sort of thing?

6. #1guitarman

#1guitarman Senior Member

Stinkfoot...what's up with all that salt water sloshin' around in your avatar??:hmm::shock::laugh2:

Splinteh,
    Dude, pups are like women...they're all good in thier element, ya just gotta find the one that's good in YOURS. There's a jillion pickups out there made by everyone with a magnet and a sewin' machine, this is one question that will become a lifetime quest...YOU finding the pickup YOU like.

7. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

I assume your guitar is stock. Have you had a proper setup? That's a tone changer. Also, try paper in oil caps before the pickups. Just changing the caps, adjusting the polepieces and pickup height will drastically change the tone (mostly for the better!).

8. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

9. wormburner

wormburner Senior Member

splinteh... Your question is way too broad. My advice would be to listen to your favourite guitarists and pick out the tone you like. In some cases, you can get close to that sound with a pickup choice. In other cases, there's just too much manipulation of the signal going into the amp (and the amp itself) to ever come close.

Play more, listen more, and visit the websites of the mainstream winders... DiMarzio, Gibson, Seymour Duncan. They all have sound samples as well. It's a great starting point.

Good luck. :dude: