pickup comparison chart?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by specflec, Nov 7, 2008.

1. specflec

specflec Senior Member

I really would benefit from seeing a comparison chart for different pickups. Gibson has one on their site but it only addresses output and I would like to see more detail - tone, range, general usage, etc. I am not familiar enough with pickup choices to make good decisions and a chart would be very helpful.

Links appreciated.

Cheers!

tintin likes this.
  2. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

seems a complicated task to me!

3. kluson

kluson Senior Member

There used to be one relating only to SD pick ups on their web site

4. specflec

specflec Senior Member

Thanks, kluson. It's a start.

5. specflec

specflec Senior Member

SD site has lots of great comparisons and audio clips for dunces like me. I am slowly crawling out of the ignorance pit.

Any other links are good!

6. tintin

tintin Senior Member

7. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Charts have a really hard time describing the actual tone you're going to be hearing. It's really something you have to experience yourself. Sound clips help, but they don't give you a hands on feel for the dynamics of the pups, as in how they respond to light vs heavy picking.

I'm poor so I'm sticking with GFS pickups for awhile. I bought myself a Fat PAF from them... which I find to be actually fairly close to stock Gibson 49x... just a bit hotter, bit more of the upper mids. Not quite modern enough for me. But for 30 bucks a pop, I can afford to buy one or two at a time until I get where I want to be.

8. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I find most charts a bit biased towards showing what they want to show... doing itproperly would be difficult

9. specflec

specflec Senior Member

Thanks. My aim here is to start getting an idea what specific pickup choices there are and generally what function they serve. I am just building my knowledge base. This all helps. :applause:

10. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

Pickup outputs can be deceiving. I've tried high output pickups that didn't sound as hot as lower output ones, and sometimes the higher output leaves something to be desired as far as tone goes.

11. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Yeah, the numbers are definitely deceiving. The method most commonly used to show the output levels is resistance, but that's only one number in the equation... and even the output is only part of what you're looking for.

12. pbecker314

pbecker314 Junior Member

I am considering installing a set of Joe Barden's Two Tone humbuckers in my 1997 Les Paul Standard. I already have a Two Tone 'bucker in the bridge of my Strat and am blown away by the quality. The question is whether they sound good in a Les Paul, so I was wondering if anybody has experience with Barden humbuckers in a Les Paul? Thanks, Pete

13. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

Yeah 2 pickups by 2 diff winders at the same out put will sound completely different.

14. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Indeed. Output honestly means nothing as far as the tone is concerned. Every pickup has a certain frequency that it exaggerates more than the others... figuring out how to change where that frequency is and finding the sweet spots is the real magic of winding. I'm not an expert by any means, but this is something I've come to understand.

15. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

There is so many variables in getting the tone you want from pup's. The same pup might not have the same tone from one guitar to another.