Ovation PreAmp info anyone??

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Texas07R8, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Texas07R8

Texas07R8 Senior Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get another 12 string Ovation. I've had three over the years and I have a Celebrity Deluxe 6 string now with the OP-24+ preamp and it sounds great amped, my best one was a Custom Legend stereo and I was a fool to sell her but that's water under the bridge.

So the question is, I'm looking at the CC245 Celebrity and they have an OP4BT preamp, it's got a built in tuner with digital display plus gain and EQ sliders.

And I've seen another CC045 12 String that looks almost the same but it has an OP-20 Preamp.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with BOTH preamps and is so which is better sounding? My first thought is the OP-20 is the better unit but it's just a hunch. I had an Ovation with an OP30 and it sounded great.

I played a CC245 @ GC the other day and the OP4BT doesn't sound bad but I haven't been able to test drive a 12 string with the OP-20 preamp.

Anyone? I'm pretty sure the CC045 is recently discontinued and the CC245 has replaced it but don't know whether the preamp is better.

2. auriemma

auriemma Senior Member

Tex,

I have a CC257 that has an OP24 Plus (4 sliders/3 buttons), a 1751 Balladeer with a OP24+ (1 knob/3 sliders), and my 1868T with the OP-Pro (4 sliders/tuner). I play the 1868T the most, but prefer the OP24 Plus on the CC257.

My gut feeling is you are correct that the OP20 is the better preamp, but before buying anything, take a look over at The Ovation Fan Club Forum. They have a wealth of 'O' knowledge and plenty of great used O's in their classifieds. These folks, know their stuff and won't steer you wrong.

3. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

I am an Ovation dealer, so I can help. Please don't ask my help if you plan on purchasing at GC, tho.

4. jimmydeuce

jimmydeuce Senior Member

OP20 and OP30 are pretty much the same except (I think) the 20 doesn't have the mid shift button. I've never used the OP4BT.
    I've got a CS255 12 string with the OP30.

Call Greg. He'll tell you what you need to know and can probably save you a bunch of $$.