Opinions please..betw 57's and burstbuckers

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Ides of March, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Ides of March

Ides of March Senior Member

I am in need of some help with deciding something. I know these will be opinions and that's what I want. I play mostly hard rock, grunge, metal, alternative and I want to know between the burstbucker 1 and 2 or the Classic 57's what does the job better.

I know the 57's are great pickups but I am hearing mainly for blues and jazz.
    I like blues but hate jazz. The Burstbucker 1 and 2 set I am curious to know if they would do the job better the the 57's for the style of music I mentioned above.

Or I was thinking of keeping the 57 plus in the bridge and getting a burstbucker 1 for the neck.

2. MrRhoads

MrRhoads Senior Member

The 57 classics will do any kind of music IMO :)

3. Exluthier

Exluthier Senior Member

Just out curiosity why are your choices between those pickups? The 57s are good pickups though I don't know if you'll be able to pull off metal with them without boosting your signal a bit. But Gibson pickups are expensive compared to Seymour Duncans and Dimarzios and they (Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio that is) have a much broader range of pickups to choose from.

4. Ides of March

I would like to keep Gibson pickups in my Trad. But are not sure if the Burstbuckers can pull off the style's I mentioned or not. If they don't I guess I would have to look elsewhere.

5. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Personally?

I like the BB's in the neck and the '57's in the bridge....Why not do both, Ides? :naughty:

6. tao_of_drew

tao_of_drew Senior Member

I think there's a lot of variables to consider, such as what amp are you running thru, what is in between your amp and the guitar (pedals, etc.) and what are they all set at, and most importantly what is your idea of what metal, grunge, etc. is supposed to sound like.
    Any pickup can be manipulated in some degree by pedals or the amp.
    That being said, I love the '57's in my Traditional. Never really played Bustbuckers, but based on sound clips I think I like the 57's better.

7. MrRhoads

MrRhoads Senior Member

Gibson 57 Classic plus (bridge) and the 57 classic (neck)
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmgRgSRASiw]YouTube - Gibson Les Paul Traditional[/ame]

Some guy playing metal with Seymour Duncan Jazz pickups, both bridge and neck and they┬┤re low output, think he had a Mesa Boogie rectifier, not sure http://soundclick.com/share?songid=2195827

8. Ides of March

That is what I was thinking Sentry. But what BB in the neck? 1,2,3?

9. Ides of March

Here is my rig

B52 AT100 amp

Boss TU-2
    Dunlop Dime CFH
    Fulltone OCD V4
    Barber Dirty Bomb
    Boss DD-5
    Boss NS-2
    EHX Small Clone
    Boss RC-2 loop station

10. slowpokerhino

slowpokerhino Senior Member

I have a BB1 (neck) & 57 Classic (bridge) in mine. Was thinking of switching to a higher output bridge but I really like it the way it is and I am staying put.
    I don't play much metal but the 57 classic can certainly handle the high gain tones just fine when I'm in the mood. Keep in mind, the 57 is wax potted and the BBs are not. If you play at high volume with a lot of gain the BBs may squeel on you, though I've never experienced it.

11. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Both sound great. The BB 1 sounds great in the neck...(for a while I had one matched against a BB 2.) I recently went to a '57 Classic plus on the bridge, and upgraded to a BB 2 so the pickups were matched in terms of output.

I'd put the BB 1 and 2's as sweet.....a BB 1 would match well against a 57 classic, a BB 2 against a '57 Classic plus...

And the BB pro is VERY smooth in the neck. Great pickup. (Can't stand it in the bridge though.....waaayyyy too bright.)

Even though this is a "before" video on the Gibson Les Paul Custom....the BB Pro is featured in the neck of this guitar. It was a nice tone....but WB's are what they are. :naughty:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXVGyeqsFes]YouTube - Gibson BB Pro's vs. WB Habeneros Pt 1[/ame]

PS: The smoothest bridge pup I've played up to this point is that Zhangbucker. It's really smooth...amazing string separation. (But they're not cheap at a 140 bucks a pop.) It's an A2 pickup....similar to the '57...but it's got somethin' extra for certain...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejpntslp8d4[/ame]

12. Ides of March

Thanks Sentry. So the BB2's in the neck would be a good compliment
    to the sound styles I mentioned above? Cool I may just do that.

13. ElhazGuy

ElhazGuy Senior Member

1) As always, Sentry posted a very helping video for you to decide what will be the best for you, Ides.
    As a side note, he's be the best rhythm guitar player of MLP if you'd ask me. :)

2)
    Whta this guy wrote here ^^ is pretty much what I think about the subject.

14. baumwolle

baumwolle Senior Member

I use BB#1 & BB#2 and I can honestly say they can handle any type of music given the right rig.

15. Ides of March

I am thinking of putting the BB2 in the neck and keeping the 57 plus in the bridge. After what Sentry posted it sounded real good.

16. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

To me the 57s lack something. I prefer the BB 1,2, and 3.

17. tnvol

tnvol Senior Member

18. Ides of March

I don't find a LOT lacking, I use a good amp and use a Barber Dirty Bomb for distortion and an OCD for an overdrive so it's not too bad. When I play Maiden's Prisoner or Cowboys From Hell it doesn't sound that bad just looking for something with more balls maybe, something that isn't a vintage, thin sounding pickup. Or no, an all around good pickup from Gibson. That can do it all with my rig. BB's do that?

19. qwank

qwank Senior Member

I play a lot of heavy stuff and all pickups sound the same on my rig with the huge amounts of distortion I put through my metal zone pedal. You ever seen anyone play death metal with a Junior? I do. LOL.

the only pickups that sound different Is ceramic magnet pickups. they give me that little extra i think you might be looking for. try a 500T or a Dirty Fingers in you bridge position.

I swapped the magnet in my BB3 with a ceramic to see how it would sound.

20. wormburner

wormburner Senior Member

I got a 57 in the neck of my LP. Overall good sound, but I find it does lack some "raunch" (for lack of a better term.) And I think a Burstbucker 2 might do the trick.

I have a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, which is the greatest hard rock pickup of all time.