Non-route Floyd Rose for Gibson installation??

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Caine, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Caine

Caine Junior Member

I recently acquired the Floyd Rose that was made for a few years in the 1980's that does not require any routing and have questions regarding installation. The trem was made for Gibson stop tail model guitars... I have found some general information and comments (people guessing) in threads about installation. I'm hoping that someone who actually has this trem installed on a Gibson will see this tread and respond...

The trem bolts on with the stop tail studs/bolts, however, it is not clear to me what happens to the bridge side of the trem. I dropped off my LP at a luthiers to have a number of things done to it, to include the proper set up of this trem. I had not taken off the strings to check out how it might install but there was some question about what happens to the side of the trem towards the bridge pickup. The tune-o-matic bridge is to be removed and the thumb dials and I'm assuming the threaded studs.

My question is then, is the trem only supported at and by the stop tail bolts which would mean that the rest of the trem just hovers over the body? The luthier was wondering if the inserts for the tune o matic will have to be removed and will the trem touch the surface of the guitar--possibly denting it.

If you have this trem or have ever owned one, I would appreciate your comments.

2. Axeman16

Axeman16 V.I.P. Member

yeah thats how all floating bidges are. theyre held down by 2 bolts and the rest floats, hence floating bridge.

3. Guido

Guido The Gweeeed V.I.P. Member

Welcome!!

4. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

See if you can get a hold of BCR Greg, I believe he is familiar with them.

5. Dino

Dino Senior Member

6. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

The tailpiece studs studs hold the whole kaboodle in place and also act as intonation adjusters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On some Les Pauls, the curved bottom of the frame does not match very well, and leaves an indentation. I would have your guy put a layer of masking tape under the bridge and do the install, then remove the bridge and see if it cut the tape anywhere. If so, Dremel the sharp edges until the tape is not harmed, THEN remove the tape and install for keeps.

I have two of these, factory virgins, and I don't think I'll use both. They are just so goddamn rare that I hate to get rid of them!

7. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Senior Member

God I wish Gibson made the FR a factory standard option.

8. Caine

Caine Junior Member

Excellent! Thanks guys... especially Greg! Great info! Thanks again!
    :cool:

9. GuitarEnZo12

GuitarEnZo12 Senior Member

How much would you sell one to me for? :hmm:

10. MarcRizzosTech

MarcRizzosTech Junior Member

I've got several of these for sale if any body wants them...Just get a hold of me here. THanks.
    Boris J.

11. fatb0t

fatb0t Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Axcess-Standard-Electric-Guitar/dp/B001PL8JIS]Amazon.com: Gibson Les Paul Axcess Standard Electric Guitar, Floyd Rose, Gun Metal Gray: Musical Instruments[/ame]

12. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

The axcess model does have a factory FR option, and no neck heel

Fatbot beat me by a second:laugh2:

13. ehamady6

ehamady6 Senior Member

The Axcess appears to be routed for the Floyd to float. It's a sin to remove wood from a Les Paul.

14. C.Daniels

C.Daniels Senior Member

Yea it is I would hate for my tone to change. If I can't find a good one I'm just going to go with a Washburn Wonderbar.

15. Custom53

Custom53 Senior Member

They do... It is called the Axcess...

[​IMG]

16. 77custom

77custom Senior Member

That picture of the Deluxe is my old guitar. I sent that picture to him awhile back. These units are pretty neat, but you will still have to install a string lock of some sort on the headstock to keep the guitar in tune. That was one of the down falls to these units. Although you didn't have to route the body to fit this to your guitar, you still had to drill holes in the headstock to install the locking mechanism. That is why FR discontinued these units. They didn't sell well.