Newbie help

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by indexless, Apr 21, 2017.

1. indexless

indexless Junior Member

Grettings,

I have a barn find of a white Studio that has a maple neck. The guitar was painted blue when I got it, there is a "Promotional Not For Sale" stamp over the serial #. My question is on the maple neck, just can't find any info on it. The guitar is really bright like a tele and plays just like one, any help would be appreciated
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jstarr823

jstarr823 Senior Member

Pics would be a HUGE help here.

3. rlefty

rlefty Premium Member

Looks like a 90's studio. Show the back of the headstock please.

4. rlefty

rlefty Premium Member

Actually, I'm going 100% on 90's studio. Ebony board, maple neck, mahogany body/maple top, swiss cheese weight relief, 59 rounded profile neck. Those are good guitars. Wtf happened to that one... we'll never know :)

indexless likes this.
  5. DarrellV

DarrellV Senior Member

Grabbed this from a necro post that got resurrected recently.

In that post the OP describes a studio reported to have been made for ACE of KISS fame with a similar stamp on the headstock.

I've copied it here...

'
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by captain amazing [​IMG]
    it also has that weird thing stamped on the back of the headstock, and as mentioned before it was a studio guitar.

I don't know much KISS history, but I did stumble on something which I think can help explain this aspect of the OP's question.

While searching for info on the quality of 80's Gibsons before I bought mine I found a rather informative discussion on another forum.

Among the members in the discussion was a fella that used to work at Gibson during the day. He was addressing the false notion that Gibson would let anything out the door with little care about QC, specifically seconds, which I believe Henry put an end to.

But back then seconds WERE allowed to go out for a limited time, for a specific use, and then were supposed to be returned.

And I quote

"We did let out minor flaws on guitars heavily stamped " artist use only- not for resale" on back of headstock. I personally stamped these guitars and serialized them whenever artist and repertoire dept needed something for a player . This was very rare. The guitars had only the most minor cosmetic flaws. I doubt a handful of these have ever made it to the public. Many times the artists were required to return them. I know I destroyed quite a few when they came back."

I understand the language on the headstock is different, but this fella was quoting from the 80's perspective, not the 70's.

Still it shows that Gibson did make guitars for individual artists use only,
    and that appears to be what OP is describing.

indexless likes this.
  6. rlefty

rlefty Premium Member

I know that quote. It's from Rastus from TGP, right?

7. indexless

indexless Junior Member

Great, I thought a 90's studio. I do believe it was an artist relations guitar because of the back history of who I got it from, from the story, it was run over buy the band truck while in a case, the repair guy did a killer job on it then painted it blue..........they played the total crap out of it, it's very resonant and bright

8. rlefty

rlefty Premium Member

Here's another excerpt for that Rastus TGP thread:

"I notice several of you have Studio models from this time period: to my way of thinking, these guitars present the greatest value available in our line for that period, and I believe they are amongst the very best solidbody Gibsons ever made-for several reasons. They had very unique features, Most having the more rigid 2 and 3 piece Eastern rock maple tops and the aforementioned Mahoganys, which were of excellent quality. All the fingerboards on them were Madagascar Ebony of B cosmetic grade. We used these as they were structurally superior, but only A grade could be used on the more expensive models-this is why SG Specials and LP Studios from that time have those boards. The final piece that makes the Studio superior to me is the one piece Eastern rock maple neck- That's right, Studios were outfitted with maple necks. This gave the guitars exceptional rigidity and immediate transients (the transfer of vibration to the body was nearly immediate) This made the guitars very responsive, percussive, and powerful. "

indexless likes this.
  9. indexless

indexless Junior Member

that's really interesting, looking at it further, it does say "artist use only", it's really hard to read, thought it said not for sale. the finish (what's left of it) is thick on the back of the headstock, I guess there were a few "flaws" in this one

10. indexless

indexless Junior Member

Thank you rlefty, it's all that, I can't believe it's mine, much juju on this bad boy, ebony board, maple top, Grover Imperials and gold (again what's left of it) hardware and that unreal 59 shape maple neck.....hard to put down

11. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Well, if the tone is interesting...
    Continue beating on it!
    :thumb:

indexless likes this.
  12. thatF-INGflyingVguy

thatF-INGflyingVguy Senior Member

:hmm:very interesting thread
    and the guitar looks cool as HELL:dude:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. rlefty

rlefty Premium Member

I say sand the paint off of that bad boy and go au naturel...

14. thatF-INGflyingVguy

thatF-INGflyingVguy Senior Member

:wow::Ohno:leave it!!!

indexless likes this.
  15. DarrellV

DarrellV Senior Member

Yessir! I LOVE that post and that fella's contributions! :headbanger:

Amazing insight into the workings of a bygone time right before and as the CNC machines were coming in. :io:

I particularly like it because I own an 82 maple necked, ebony boarded standard from that period.

Everything he says, it's rock solid! And the ebony has these gorgeous little 'grade B' 'blonde streaks' running through it. :thumb:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  16. DarrellV

DarrellV Senior Member

I second that motion!

So does she:
    Nothin wrong with those colors! Just milk the toanez right out of her as she is!
    [​IMG]