New Epiphone Les Paul Slash Goldtop - String buzz

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by bluepalm, Dec 5, 2008.

1. bluepalm

bluepalm Junior Member

Hi there

I've just recently purchased an Epiphone Les Paul Slash Goldtop - and I've had it for a week and I've noticed that there is severe string buzzing when I play anything below the 12th fret on the low E, A and G strings. I've never had to adjust anything on guitars I've bought in the past - but this is by far the highest tier guitar I own, so things may be different. Is this a common problem on new guitars? The string buzz is so bad that it stops chords from sounding out properly, and can even be heard when playing single strings fretting on the first 1-6 frets - I didn't realise this in store since I had demoed the slash signature tobacco burst and decided on the finish last...

Will getting the guitar professionally set up + new strings etc. help? I've never had to do this before...

2. blusky

blusky Junior Member

You should definitely take it to a professional for a proper setup and probably change a fresh set of strings at the same time. They can check the bridge height, neck relief and set the intonation for you. It's a very nice guitar so unless you are used to working on guitars you shouldn't really attempt this yourself.

3. calibud

calibud Senior Member

+1
    If you can afford a slash goldtop you can afford a set up. It'll do wonders.

4. slash300

slash300 Senior Member

well if you have the money. it will cost you around £ 100. I'd say do it yourself and spend the 100 on something else.

This is the order I would suggest you do it.
    1) adjust the truss rod
    2) adjust the action.

Up until now I have done all the setup of my guitars myself. Even though I'm a beginner ( 8 months experience).
    The only time I took the guitar to the luthier was to change the nut.

5. samsnead

samsnead Senior Member

Take it to a pro, I bought the same guitar and it had some issues that needed to be resolved-twisted frets, crowning, cracks in the board etc.

6. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

My luthier always does my initial setup. I tweak here and there. I've been playing for 15 years now, and I still don't do everything myself. You probably need your nut slots filed down some, and a little truss rod adjustment. WELL worth the money, in my opinion. You can probably get a little "crash course" in setups from whoever does it as well.

I never knew how good a guitar could play until I had a competent luthier go through one of my guitars. I took 4 more of my guitars to him the same week. Its not always wise to save a few bucks and do it yourself!

(Also - a full setup (truss, intonate, action) w/ nut work has never cost me more than $50-60USD)

7. bluepalm

bluepalm Junior Member

Thanks for the replies - I've decided on getting it professionally done. All I'm wondering is where? I live in Boston and bought the guitar from Guitar Center - and they do offer set-ups from their tech center (or something along those lines). Would this be recommended? I have no idea about Guitar Centers reputation/level of professionalism since this is the first time I've dealt with them.

Thanks for the help...

8. Roman

Roman Master Luthier V.I.P. V.I.P. Member

NO! No GC techs. Find an independent good guy. talk to other players.

Or contact our own BCR Greg. he is in PA.
    take a look at the epi thread as well, that is what the guitar needs.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/14714-complete-epi-custom-setup.html

Roman

9. Extremerocker827

Extremerocker827 Senior Member

Don't go to GC for the setup!!! Do you have any independant mom and pop stores by ur house? THey are usually really good with services like that.