NAD Fender Hot Rod Deville

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Batman, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Batman

Batman Senior Member

Although used, my new to me Fender Hot Rod De Ville 4x10 is a HUGE step up from my previous amp; a Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt.

I have been trolling here for months and have listened and learned from all of you what I was looking for in an amp before I made this purchase.

I am beyond pumped. . .I've been playing this for the last 3 hours. The tone is exactly what I have been looking for!

Unfortunately I do not have recording gear or a video cam to share a clip.

[​IMG]

2. Daryl Licht

Daryl Licht Member

Those are mighty sweet. I picked up a used one recently and love it. Enjoy.

3. BlueFin

BlueFin Senior Member

I'm a big fan of the 4x10's. Nice one!

4. Leumas

Leumas Senior Member

I just got one myself, love it! Congrats man!

5. Batman

Batman Senior Member

Thanks Guys!

I am in tone bliss! I jammed with a local teen for a couple of hours Friday night. We put my Guitars (Epi LP '56 Goldtop, Epi Goth SG and Epi Dot) plus his American Strat through their paces on my new amp plus his Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier.

Although the Mesa is a very cool amp I much prefer the tone from the De Ville. The clean channel has a nice fat bottom end with a hard to describe top end sparkle and I am getting very nice crunch tones from both of the Drive channels; although my favorite is the more drive setting. I have not had the Master Volume past 2.5 as yet so as not to annoy the Mrs and kids too badly; can't wait for an opportunity to drive the power tubes a little harder to really see what this rig can do. . .

The amp takes my two OD pedals very well. My slightly modified Boss SD-1 (removed the C6 Cap) surprised me and I am preferring it to the TS9 through this amp. This is a first for me; preferring a Boss OD over a TS type of OD. I have all of the parts to convert the SD-1 to a Tubescreamer but that is now on hold as I am seriously digging the tone I am getting right now.

6. Leumas

Leumas Senior Member

Try plugging in to the other input...you're going to get some of the same amp responses at a lower volume, it's really nice. This amp WILL hurt your ears, and I'm used to all sorts of loud volume situations.

7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I've always liked these amps in the 4x10 box. Congrats!

8. jay1williams

jay1williams Senior Member

Congrats on the Tone Monster!!!

9. babatube

babatube Senior Member

congratulations!!
    awesome amp.
    enjoy:)

10. Batman

Batman Senior Member

Thanks for the tip. . .unfortunately I am on the road until Friday and will have to suffer with extreme withdrawal symptoms until I get home and can play again. . . :(

11. Leumas

Leumas Senior Member

You'll get there. I put about 3 hours on mine today. :)

12. Batman

Batman Senior Member

Color me jealous! I only got about an hour on mine before I had to hit the road. . .stupid job interfering with my music! :D

13. soberdave09

soberdave09 Senior Member

killer score

14. Dirtyclinic

Dirtyclinic Senior Member

very cool. i have one too.

15. Batman

Batman Senior Member

Leumas - I did as you recommended and plugged into the second input. Exactly as you said; lower volume with similar amp response. :thumb:

My only complaint with this amp is due to the linear taper master and volume pots. The volume knob sweep from silent to :wow: loud is slightly smaller than a gnats hair. This isn't an issue at gigging or jamming volumes but trying to quiet the amp down for bedroom use is problematic. I know I can order the correct 250K audio taper volume pots from Antique Electronic Supply (part # R-VHD-250KA) but I had all of the parts to build and external volume control for the effects loop in my parts bin.

These also can be purchased on eBay for around $20. Some eBay sellers have suggested this is an attenuator.
    It is not an attenuator. It is just an external master volume box. You are not driving the power tubes to saturation therefore tone will suffer. I am willing to put up with less than perfect tone to be able to practice at home without annoying the family too badly.

Parts used were a Hammond 1590 enclosure, a 500K audio taper pot, a chicken head knob, two 1/4" jacks, three pieces of wire, some solder and two 1' cords.

[​IMG]

I wired the output jack to post 3 of the pot, the input jack to the wiper (middle or post 2 of the pot) and grounded the bases of both jacks to post 1 and the case of the pot.

[​IMG]

In use it's quiet (no hum) and makes it a lot easier to set a bedroom level on the amp.

Not bad for 15 minutes of my time.

I am going to paint the enclosure and affix proper labels but I have not played in a week so it can wait. . .

[​IMG]

Neemo and Leumas like this.
  16. Leumas

Leumas Senior Member

Awesome! A do it yourself fix, I like it man. I'm lucky in that I have no neighbors to bother, and a high volume tolerance, but holy shit does it scream! :laugh2:

17. Batman

Batman Senior Member

Agreed! That's not always a bad thing. . . :dude: