My Zachary Guitars Experience

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by psyoptica, Oct 17, 2011.

1. psyoptica

psyoptica Junior Member

Well, things had gotten to a state where I was very cynical about the guitar industry and I decided to give the infamous Zachary Guitars a try. I had to go through a very long "qualification" process and waited over a month and a half for the guitar. Alex spent two weeks alone looking for a case, only to put it in the original case he had it in. This is the guitar in question: 7 String Guitar

...and it wasn't worth it. Something is very wrong with the tone of this guitar. It's compressed and fuzzy to an extent that I've never heard with other electrics. This may have do with the fact that the strings are almost two years old, or the fact that there's some very annoying fret buzz along the bottom four strings, in addition to the open G. When I mentioned this to Alex, he got very defensive and said that fret buzz is normal because you have "metal on metal." Also, the access to the upper frets is very limited. In fact, basically everything above the 17th fret is unplayable. This issue miffs me the most. People don't just have frets to look at, after all.

I asked Alex if he would take a return, but to no avail. So therefore, I have some very tough choices ahead of me. I could leave it the way it is and be very unhappy with it. I could take it to a tech and risk pissing Alex off. I could sell it on eBay and risk REALLY pissing Alex (and his inner circle) off. Regardless, this is a sad situation because I'm broke and do not have a fully functional electric. I feel rather taken advantage of, like someone who grew disillusioned with religion but turned to a crazy cult rather than atheism. I wanted this guitar to be great, but its just not, which is a bummer because I like Alex and think his philosophy is mostly correct.

The moral of the story is, Zachary Guitars are not for everyone. If you've had a nagging curiosity about these guitars, you're probably better off not bothering. This guitar alone is enough to convince me that they're a far cry from "the best in the world."

2. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

Try to sell it. Alex is going to get pissed off anyway when he sees this post,.

your idol likes this.
  3. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

Zack, nick1962 and Job-Job type Job like this.
  4. dudu

dudu Senior Member

Sounds like you didn't know what you wanted in the first place, too. I'm not taking sides,
    that guitar looks as weird as it gets (I'm referring to his wood choice). I think that, when
    you have a custom guitar built, you should provide more feedback and your luthier should
    use it.

This Zachary guy sounds like he likes to overengineer everything but can't play squat.
    I hope I'm wrong. If I'm not, I know his type.

your idol and Leendrix like this.
  5. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

Reminds me a little of Ed Roman. When he talks about his strings.

6. dudu

dudu Senior Member

Yep, I too thought of him. Unfortunately I know others as well.

7. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

I like how the low 'B' is wound in the opposite direction.

Leendrix likes this.
  8. psyoptica

psyoptica Junior Member

This was not a custom guitar. He builds them all for himself. I thought it would be a good match for me in all honesty, and it would be if it didn't have the problems I pointed out.

9. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

Just sell it. Who cares what the builder thinks? It's your guitar and your money. If you don't like it, then it's not a guitar you need to keep.

10. Leendrix

Leendrix The Cheeky One V.I.P. Member

I like how he claims the string companies are fvcking us over, but he never explains why and how.

Anyway, take it to a tech, if he/she can't fix it, sell it.

And if your product isn't working and fret buzz is expected... That should say somthing.

AngryHatter likes this.
  11. TKOjams

TKOjams Senior Member

Strings should set atop the nut, not be down in the middle of it, this will make the strings sound "fuzzy"

[​IMG]

wwit and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  12. GuN'R

GuN'R Banned

He sounds too much like that Ed Roman guy. Lots of hot air. They must be related.

"Regardless of how much money you have, I will not sell you any guitar if I feel its not right for you or that you don't deserve to own it. "

?????????

Drew224 and Leendrix like this.
  13. AngryHatter

TKOjams nailed that one. Nut looks to be cut Waaaaay too deep.

wwit, Thumpalumpacus and Leendrix like this.
  14. zontar

zontar Senior Member

There's the big problem I have with the whole "experience"
    If you have to qualify before he'll sell you a guitar--then I'm sorry the deal is off.
    Well, actually, I'm not even sorry.

Zack, wwit, nick1962 and 1 other person like this.
  15. psyoptica

psyoptica Junior Member

I actually like the fact that he makes people qualify. He wants to make sure that a) you're serious about buying one of his guitars, b) you can play it, and c) you're actually going to use it. The irony is, this guitar is so dysfunctional that if I were to keep it, it would turn into somewhat of a wall piece. Such a bummer cause I was prepared to make it my main axe.

16. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

So this guy will get upset if you have your guitar set up??? If he gets upset... so what???? What can he do to you? Like you'll ever want another one of his guitars anyway.

Sounds like a real wank with even more nerve. It's your guitar. Do what you need to do to make it usable or ready for sale. Period.

Once he sold it to you and then refused customer service, it's none of his damn business what you do with your guitar.

android13 and zontar like this.
  17. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Also, as to what you should do, I'd choose the course most likely to piss him the fvck off. And then I'd link him to a video of it.

Drew224, android13, nick1962 and 2 others like this.
  18. zontar

zontar Senior Member

I find it quite arrogant that he does that.
    It is his company and he has the right to run it as he sees fit, and I don't think he's breaking any laws.
    But his whole attitude is arrogant and I am exercising my right not to buy from him, just as you exercised your right to buy from him.

nick1962 and Leendrix like this.
  19. AngryHatter

If you like the guitar, take it to a tech and get it fixed.
    If not, sell!

Leendrix likes this.
  20. Job-Job type Job

Job-Job type Job Senior Member

Why would you worry about pissing this asshole off anyway? Do whatcha gotta do man.

android13 and nick1962 like this.