Marshall SL5 vs blackstar HT5R!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by light_n_roses, Oct 6, 2013.

1. light_n_roses

light_n_roses Senior Member

Hi there!

I'm actually interested in a confrontation between those 5 watt amps! I'm looking for some advices! Actually the blackstar had a great features that is missing on the marshall sl5: it has headphone out (even if I don't actually know how it sound it could be terrible very easy! )

2. Droog

Droog Senior Member

Played the HT, own the SL5, and it's the SL5 by far. :shock:

3. mrbluesy1

mrbluesy1 Senior Member

I didn't like the sl5. I was very eager for it to arrive, but found it way too ordinary and extremely bright.

4. tzd

tzd Senior Member

HT-5R has an effects loop.

5. colchar

colchar Banned

The DSL5 might be better than the SL5.

6. light_n_roses

interesting... didn't know about the existence of the DSL 5 ..never seen!!
    It also seem to be out of production

Edit: I was wrong it's not out of production...is coming out now! It's interesting as it also has the headphone out! Let's see how it sound...hope that marshall will realize a decent product without hiding behind their great name.

7. chrisuk

chrisuk Senior Member

Yes - it is actually yet to be released :thumb: even Marshall don't have any info or clips out but it looks very interesting.

8. light_n_roses

I guess that it will probably be like the SL5 with a few more thing like the headphone out on the back. Anyway I guess that the sound would be the same more or less

9. Söulcaster

Söulcaster Senior Member

:shock::shock::shock:

The SL5 is by far the better amp if it's tone your after,,,...:thumb:

10. light_n_roses

I don't know..I have seen the official video from marshall on youtube about the SL5, obviusly is a youtube video so no real sound acutally even if they surely have used a good microphone, anyway it seems a little "zzzzzzz" to me. What you think??

1 person likes this.
  11. Ddavid

Ddavid Senior Member

I saw that the DSL5 has a 10" speaker...

12. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Ugh!, another dud. The DSL15 is a Dud, where the DSL40 is a winner. Why make a DSL5, when you have the SL5 which runs complete circles around it.

13. colchar

colchar Banned

How can you say that the SL5 runs complete circles around the DSL5 when the DSL5 hasn't even been released yet?

1 person likes this.
  14. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

Blackstar

15. Söulcaster

Söulcaster Senior Member

I think the SL5 kicks ass, one of the best low wattage combos I've ever played....

I really don't see the attraction in the HT series, If people like them then, good for them. They aren't for me.

Here's a guy doing some blues on his SL5, from over at the Marshall Roadhouse.
    https://soundcloud.com/scott-brisbane/struttin-on-down
    The Marshall Roadhouse

Peace

1 person likes this.
  16. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Hmmm.. your right, I may be jumping the gun. I am seeing that the DSL 5c has better features than the 15c, which is just weird to me that the 5c would be a better amp than the 15c, but that looks like it might be so. I love the SL5 with a larger cabinet and a 12" Vintage 30 speaker, where the larger cab gives the speaker more room to breath like my Blackheart has. That alone makes a big difference to me, especially compared to most bargin Marshall amps that have 10" crappy speakers. It will be interesting to see the price there going to put on it, which will probably be almost the same price as the 15c, since it looks to be a better choice for a smaller practice amp.

I will be very interested in trying one out, since it has a 5w/1w option and a headphone jack as well as an effects loop and it is 2 channel foot switchable. Definitely worth a look anyway.

Thanks for testing my resolve and making me look more into it, since I just assumed it was a lower watt DSL with less features than the 15c which is not really possible you would think. I am glad it has more and better options since I think the 15c is a dud.

1 person likes this.
  17. chrisuk

chrisuk Senior Member

One of the Marshall designers pretty much said it is better sounding than the other DSLs because they have listened to feedback about what people didn't like and fixed it on this one. :hmm:

1 person likes this.
  18. Spaceacex

Spaceacex Senior Member

I can only speak for the HT-5R Head. It stinks. I tried one and returned it. Definitely not for me.

19. colchar

colchar Banned

I was considering checking the DSL5 out when they were released but came across a used Fender '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue that was in pristine condition (it even still had the cardboard Fender information sheet on top of it) and that was on sale for only $650 so I jumped on that instead as I figured that was a great price for that amp.

20. M.C.J.

M.C.J. Senior Member

The Blackstar HT5R sucks, but you can also do a lot better than the SL5. My advice: keep looking.