List Of Stock Epiphone Pickups?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by StoneD, Feb 6, 2011.

1. StoneD

StoneD Junior Member

Hey everyone, im new here and to epiphones in general..Couple of questions for those in the know.

I've got a wine red flamed epi les paul standard from 2005. First of all i didnt know standards came with flamed top. I thought only standard plus did? What gives?

Anyways what stock pickups would be in there from that time frame. Are they the Classic Alnico V humbuckers? I've searched, but there doesnt seem to be a list of which pickups came in which epi models and years. Does anyone know of a list out there showing the different pickups?

And finally, if these stock pups can be identified, what would be an estimate for the output of these pickups?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. guitarheo3

guitarheo3 Junior Member

just take the pickup out and look on the back. it should be a hotch i think. heres a list of a bunch of epi pups. Epiphone Pickups :wave:

3. StoneD

StoneD Junior Member

Hmm. It does seem high output. Ok if it is which pup is hotch on that page? Sorry i dont know anything about them.

4. guitarheo3

guitarheo3 Junior Member

probably the alnico classic + is closest. sorry. i realized after i posted that hotch wasn't on the list. but hotch stands for hot classic humbucker.

5. StoneD

StoneD Junior Member

Oh ok. Very helpful info. Thanks alot!

6. KP

KP Senior Member

A picture would help identify your guitar.

7. StoneD

StoneD Junior Member

Well after a little more research i believe its a standard plus. I was previously under the impression that the truss cover should say "plus" on it, instead of just "Les Paul Standard".

Seems as though this standard plus color isnt currently available, which was adding to my confusion. Anyone know when it was discontinued?

Looks like this:
    [​IMG]

8. bobbylx

bobbylx Senior Member

For what it's worth, I just took the humbucker covers off mine this week to have the open coil look. My bridge pickup just said epiphone on the back and had a few numbers, no clue which it it, but my neck pickup was labeled epiphone on the back and when I pulled the cover off it said Dirty Fingers on the front. Looks like I got lucky with that. Mine is a 2008 LP Standard. It's Translucent Blue so I don't know if that is Standard or Standard Plus Top or what. Either way, I'm really please with the sound.

9. StoneD

StoneD Junior Member

Wow, yeah i wont really know until i yank them out. As of now im just assuming their the more typical stock pups. Whatever they are im leaning towards a slightly lower output bridge pup. Ive got another guitar that already has a fairly hot ceramic in it, so id like to switch it up in this LP the other direction.

10. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Plus means that the Les Paul has a figured top.
    Other than that, it's the same as a Standard Plain Top or a Standard.

I really don't understand why some people are so confused about that, it's really simple.
    Is the Les Paul ebony, it's a Standard.
    Does the Les Paul have a plain top, it's a Standard Plain Top.
    Does the Les Paul have a flamed top, it's a Standard Plus.

11. StoneD

StoneD Junior Member

Yeah i'm learning. I've got a traditional pro on the way as well. So i'm studying epi's like never before.:slash:

12. gonzo22

gonzo22 Junior Member

I just took the stock pickups out of my 2009 ELP standard plain top and replaced them with GFS Classic II Vintage Neck and bridge. The pu's that came with it were 57CH(G) Epiphone neck, and Hotch(g) Epiphone bridge. I've noticed a cleaner more sustainable improvement already but still a little on the muddy side, but hope Jonesy's wiring kit will clean that up.

13. StoneD

StoneD Junior Member

Cool. Don't forget to try changing your pickup height to un-mud them..When i swap my pups i plan on doing the electronics upgrade too while i'm at it.

14. Stylemaster

Stylemaster Senior Member

Just got a 2004 Standard with the 57CH(G) (Dot: Neck, Bridge, LP: Neck) Epiphone neck, and HOTCH(G) (LP: Bridge) Epiphone bridge set. Any opinions on these? Sure ain't nothing like any of my Gibsons...:doh: