How easy is it to change the nut ?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by slash300, Nov 30, 2008.

1. slash300

slash300 Senior Member

I wanted to upgrade the nut to bone nut and wanted to know how easy it is to change it. Do I need special tools ? What glue is used to stick the new nut ? I have previousely changed the pickup rings on my guitar and I managed to do it by my self..and how easy is the nut replacement compared to that ?
    Any one who has done this by themself please tell me things that I need to know . Thanks alot guys

2. Akahito

Akahito Senior Member

It's easy, you just need to be careful when removing the old nut. Check out the http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/14714-complete-epi-custom-setup.html thread for good closeup pictures on pretty much everything you would need setting up a Paul (and most other guitars at the same), including changing the nut.

When you glue the new nut on, be sure to let the glue dry properly before you put the strings on. I know you easily get that "Ah what the heck, it'll stay, the strings'll hold it in place, I wanna try how it sounds NOW!" feeling, so definitely make sure it's dry and tight before you re-string it.

3. Canadian Charlie

Canadian Charlie Senior Member

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4. Stevics

Stevics Senior Member

I have just had my nut replaced. I decided to have a luthier do the job for me as I also wanted the neck and frets checked out and sorted out. It cost me £50, money well spent in my opinion.

In my opinion it's not the difficulty of the job, it's that the nut is a key component of the guitar and therefore deserves the utmost care in fitting.

5. slash300

slash300 Senior Member

Do you know where I can get a readily made nut , so all I have to do is glue it in without having to worry about string slots.. many thanks

6. slash300

slash300 Senior Member

Yeah my friend but I have 2 years experience in electronics and DIY..So as long as I have the right tools I can do it myself.. £50 is too much to spend on something that you can do it yourself..but anyways some people are rich

7. Akahito

Akahito Senior Member

You should be able to get nuts from any music store, but it might well be they just don't have the one you want in real bone. (In my town all stores stock are Fender type nuts, and assorted collections of the cheapo plastic nuts nobody wants. :mad: ) Call in your store and ask, and have them get you one. There will be some need for filing/sanding to fit the nut, most importantly to adjust the height of the nut, so getting a small set of diamond files won't hurt. At need you can also file saddlepieces with them.

8. Stevics

Stevics Senior Member

See link:-
    Products & Ordering - Graph Tech

These are not bone, they are graphite. I like em.

Bear in mind that if you fit a nut there will be some adjustment with a file to get it just right.

9. WillieG

WillieG Senior Member

I'm sure I'll find the answer in another thread, but what kind of nut do I need? A Gibson bone nut? I have no experience with this, these bone nuts come in many forms, like different depth and distance between strings?

I need a bone nut that is really a replica of my plastic one...

10. TrinityFive

TrinityFive Senior Member

How experienced are you at modding guitars or DIY in general. It's not just the fixing of the nut, but getting the right spacings, filing them and then setting up the guitar. Personally I would entrust it to a luthier rather that do it myself, you could have a very expensive lump of wood it you don't do it properly.

11. matthornet

matthornet Senior Member

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

just kidding.. no pun to the word intended.. :D

12. Akahito

Akahito Senior Member

Getting a pre-notched nut is a good idea if you've never done this before. They usually have good string spacing, so the next time if you do a nut yourself, you can copy the spacing from the old one.

13. WillieG

WillieG Senior Member

14. LiveOak

LiveOak Senior Member

+1

I've got Dan E's book and after looking and reading about it, no way! I will pay someone who knows what the hell they are doing to do any nut work on my LP. I am not skilled, experienced or whatever to try to have a go at this myself.:naughty:

15. Extremerocker827

Extremerocker827 Senior Member

Ive heard that the TUSQ nuts are REALLY good, but the bone nuts are also a good option. What I don't get it is why doesnt Epi/Gibson have an option of bone/graphite/plastic nuts when they MAKE the guitar(like customization), which would only cost people like 15 bucks because there wouldn't be any installation fees(putting bone or graphite is the same installtion process as plastic, wich they already do), and so it would make everyone happy! And I also think they should have a lot more options, like pickups, and tuners, etc. which would eliminate the costly installation fees at luthier shops....and it would make the Epi/gibson people happier cuz they would probably get those parts at direct prices, and then would put the parts when you get the guitar as retail or something, so essentially, everyone would benefit by saving/getting money, except for luthiers, but that makes up a small part of the musician world, so it would be better. Hows that for a run-on sentence and rant. :thumb:

16. Akahito

Akahito Senior Member

The reason being they can make larger quantities of the same, making each individual piece cheaper. They wouldn't also be able to produce guitars in stock as well, if they had to wait for orders. This not only slows production down deadly much, it also raises prices a lot more than one nut is worth. But I do agree it should be custom available by the manufacturer, as should all other hardware and electronic upgrades, since there'll always be people who'll want their guitar pimped-up straight from the box, even if they had to wait months for it to arrive from the factory. Most Epi customers are still happy with the original plastic nut for a while so they won't mind getting their guitar with one, as well as how simple it is to change it afterward.

17. Extremerocker827

Extremerocker827 Senior Member

This is why carvin(carvin.com) is cool; you can customize your guitar COMPLETELY, its really cool. Pretty good value too, on the guitar. I think that might be my next axe, but IDK.

18. slash300

slash300 Senior Member

When I first had sex I had no experience as well but still managed to perform..I dont think changing the nut is any harder.
    These are my guitar DIYs :
    Changed the strings (seymour duncan's way)
    Changed the pickups rings
    Replaced the bridge and intonated the guitar
    Set up the truss rod and neck curvature
    Set up the string hight to my desired lenght

The only thing I havent done is changing the pickups and nut. I would've if I had the right tools and time

19. Raku10

Raku10 Senior Member

I just changed mine last night to a Tusq nut, pre-slotted for Epi. It almost fitted perfectly without much sanding. And the plastic nut came off pretty cleanly. I used a wood ruler and put it against the nut and hit it with a hammer on the other end , and the nut came off. I used some Elmer glue to glue the Tusq nut on and left it dry over night. I have yet to put a new set of strings on. I also swapped out the "E" logoed tuners with a set of Gotoh vintage ones. They also just dropped right in without drilling any new holes.

20. slash300

slash300 Senior Member

OMG..Something good happened. I just phoned a guitar luthier and he said that he would change the nut to a bone nut and will only charge £20. Thats for the nut and the labour. I guess I wont find any better deal than this, plus if I were to do it myself I would also had to buy the wood glue and sand papers + the bone nut which would've costed more than 20..I'm going there tommorow to change it. Thanks guys for the help and advice