Help with wiring a tone capacitor - HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by waswell, Oct 18, 2011.

1. waswell

waswell Senior Member

I replaced the caps with orange drops and re-wired them back in exactly like they came out - problem is the caps were wired to the tone pots only - just like a Fender Strat.

Here is a link to a different way:

Les Paul Style Wiring Harness - Wiring Harnesses - LP Style Wiring Harness - Tundratone

What will I gain in sound quality if I re-wire them again with the caps bridging the volume pot and tone pots as in the link above?

Did I do it wrong?

Thanks in advance !!!!

2. purevilpleasure

purevilpleasure Senior Member

The original way is called Modern Wiring. The way you want to do it is called 50's Wiring. I wire all my guitars 50's and it has a better tone and response to my ears.

onehippie, Phildog and SJM like this.
  3. WildeStarr

WildeStarr V.I.P. Member

Or... you can do the WildeStarr Ultimate Cap Mod.....

Attached Files:

• alp.jpg
      alp.jpg
      File size:
      31.8 KB
      Views:
  4. SJM

SJM Premium V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

+1. 50's wiring is the way to go, just like in the diagram you posted. Ground the pots together too, also in your diagram. :thumb:

5. BluePhil

BluePhil Member

Just finished my rewiring few days ago. Used the 50s wiring. Sounds better in my ears I think. Try it.

onehippie likes this.
  6. waswell

waswell Senior Member

Thank you everyone for your comments. I will re-wire the caps this weekend.

Take care :)

onehippie likes this.
  7. SJM

Best of luck with your project. Here is a beautiful example of 50's style wiring installed. I wish I could take credit for it. :naughty:

RS_harness_installed.jpg

onehippie likes this.
  8. purevilpleasure

Here's one I did not too long ago. Dimarzo PAF's in a neckthru.

[​IMG]

onehippie likes this.
  9. waswell

waswell Senior Member

To clarify - what tone, if any, will I gain if I go from a strat setup (cap only soldered to tone pots) versus a LP setup (cap soldered to volume and tone pot)?

Is it worth the hassle? If so, why?

Will I get a BETTER tone or just a DIFFERENT tone with more flexibility?

10. purevilpleasure

I say it's a more creamy, responsive, and gritty when turned up. I have an SG with stock everything that was a bit lacking....new Orange Drop and 50's wiring made a huge difference. It was cleaner and when turned up it just growled instead of mudded up.

It's an easy 5 minute change and only you can be the true judge of it.

All I can say is A LOT of people do it.........either they are wrong or something is up with it.

Phildog and onehippie like this.
  11. SJM

I noticed very similar improvements on an older Ibanez LP I did this with. I too used Orange Drops. I'm doing this mod on all my Gits, in fact I have one harness finished and ready to drop in this weekend. If you look at a new Gibson, you'll notice the caps going from tone pot to volume and everything sits on a grounding plate. Unless of course it's one of the newer ones with a PC board. This is just a better wiring scheme and should at least boost your output and clarity.

12. waswell

waswell Senior Member

Great comments and excellent advice. Thank you so much everybody for all your help.

You guys are the best !!!!

Take care :)

13. onlypadog

onlypadog Senior Member

I'm planning on doing this with my latest epi standard (11yr old MIK) when I gather all the parts. Will be my first self-mod of an LP. I'm also planning on combining it with Push/Pull Coil Splitting on the Tone pots.

Has anyone done this and know if its the exact same principle as with standard pots?

And - here's another question bugging me - if this is what most people, the most common upgrade if you will - then why is it not stock? Not necessarily with the upgraded caps etc, just the wiring scheme...?

14. purevilpleasure

15. waswell

waswell Senior Member

I rewired the whole harness yesterday and used the 50's schematic. I'm still learning the way the volume and tone controls interact with each another but I must say I have more versatility with my tone. It seems cleaner, more defined with maybe a tad more grit at higher volume levels.

The Lindy Fralin PAF's are now singing the blues like they were meant to.

THANK YOU everyone for your comments - they were my muse :)

16. SJM

Good to hear. You may notice with 50's wiring that the volume goes from nothing to full blast very quickly. If you can't live with this, there are two ways to fix it. You can find these remedies in the "Wiring Library" in the "Tone Freaks" section. I fixed mine by using 300K Linear Taper volume pots. :thumb:

winexprt likes this.
  17. winexprt

winexprt Senior Member

I noticed that when I rewired my 2008 Studio 50's style. Pulled out the horrid PCB that came stock and put 500K CTS pots all around with repro Luxe bees and I love it.

But I'm not too crazy about the steep drop off that happens now. Basically anything below 7 is inaudible.

Did a search of the "Wiring library" for the other remedy besides changing the pots but couldn't find it. I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me what my other option would be besides 300K volume pots. Thanks in advance!

18. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

I don't have that happening on my guitars. The volume controls are useful throughout the entire range. Are you using stock pots?

19. waswell

waswell Senior Member

It is happening on my guitar but it is very manageable so no worries for me. My pots are stock. My volume knob is now between 3-4 where it used to be 6-7 before the mod. Hope this helps :)

onehippie likes this.
  20. SJM

I'll see if I can find it. I know you add a resistor to each volume pot but I can't remember how it connects.