Guitar Fetish Pickups?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Jimi G, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jimi G

Jimi G Member

Looking to replace pups in my Epi LP Studio Deluxe. Anyone running GFS 59s or a Hot Wound (brown sound) in the bridge? Sure can't beat the price. Plus they come with gold covers to match the stock pups.

Thanx,

G

2. 52trapeze

52trapeze Senior Member

Really not that much better than the stock ones but there alright, remember you get what you pay for/ Guys like MHD pickups can wind you a custom set with great wire,magnets, and work for 100 bucks. I would do that because your going to spend 60 bucks and probaly change them out in the future anyway.

3. Monster

Monster Senior Member

I don't have lots of experience with GFS, but do have one of the "Lil Killer" single coil sized humbuckers. I'll say that the build quality is on par with most of the "big name" pickup winders, and sounds good. Excellent value.

4. 52trapeze

52trapeze Senior Member

Just as a reference ive had a alnico 2 bridge pickup and a 59 neck pickup. Both had that thick wax you find in epiphones under the cover. Maybe their professional line is better? I cant say i havent even seen one, i can only speak for what i own or once owned

5. SJM

SJM Premium V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Talk to Phildog. He has the 59's in his Epi and loves them.

6. Tonefreak

Tonefreak Junior Member

My favorite that I have tried from them is the mean 90 single coil. Had it in the neck of my lp before I went with a set of fat pats, now its waiting to get dropped into the bridge of a epi lp jr. or some such guitar project later on. Overall im pretty satisfied with their stuff, there discriptions are pretty acurate so thats how i usualy decide on what I want.

7. Phildog

Phildog Senior Member

Yep! Vintage 59's in my baby. Got them, love them, and recommend them.

8. Phildog

Phildog Senior Member

Have you played GFS Vintage 59's? I wonder why you say that there not much better than the stock ones. They're totally different with different voicing as well.

9. Tanner

Tanner Senior Member

10. kysrsoze

kysrsoze Senior Member

You know, some are great and others not so much. I really liked the 59 neck and alnico pro II neck, and the fat pat was really nice in the bridge position. It's a cheap experiment, and if you don't like them, you can sell them for nearly as much as you paid.

I wasn't impressed at all with the VEH and Dream 180, but the crunchy rails were surprisingly good in a Floyd equipped geetar of mine... great for high gain stuff.

11. psycho

psycho Senior Member

I just installed a set of all black power rails in my ebony studio. They sound pretty sweet so far but I have not been able to play with them too much.

12. sammyblp

sammyblp Senior Member

First switch out the stock pots and caps. Trust me, the guitar will sound much better. If you still don't like it, then change out the stock pups I guess

Phildog likes this.
  13. Phildog

Phildog Senior Member

And to add to that great advice, you can remove the covers, then remove the wax potting. That will get rid of the :mud" sound.

14. Jimi G

Jimi G Member

Thanx all,

Sammy, already done the electronic guts. Stock Epi pups are OK, but are lacking a little in liveliness and harmonics. Back in the day, it was always a SD JB in the bridge and a 59' in the neck. Also have had really good luck Dimarzio Tone Zone and Air Norton, but both sets with gold covers are pricey.

Lookin for EVH's "brown sound" for the bridge and EC's "woman tone" from the neck (gee, aren't we all?).

I agree with one thing for sure, it (GFS) would be a cheap experiment.

Thanx again,

G

15. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

They're good pickups, better than what comes stock in todays' MIC models (most of them, at least) but I do find the descriptions on their site a little exaggerated. If your budget can only cover GFS pickups, nothing wrong with them, I don't think you will be sorry.

But as already mentioned, if you can stretch to US$ 115.00, go to the Vendor Classifieds and talk to Rayne (MHD) pickups. Quality hand-made aftermarket pickups don't compare to GFS.

FWIW, I have currently in my Washburn fat Strat 2 GFS pickups (singles, neodynium ones) and 1 MHD custom-wound humbucker. Quite happy with them all.

the1jj and 52trapeze like this.
  16. lucifarion

lucifarion Senior Member

Sorry to sorta steal this thread but I have a question regarding pup's myself, I am swapping out the a5 classics in my studio. and I have been offered a set of pup's from a gibson LP standard... are they really worth swapping out for standard pup's (they're from a 2000 gibby lp stndrd and they are prolly a 490t and a 498t)?

sorry again to the OP

17. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

See post below.

18. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

19. Luka_Luka!

Luka_Luka! Senior Member

Some are great, some are horrible. I originally put a set of crunchy pats in my jagmaster, they were too muddy, so I put the neck pickup(like 11k or so) in the bridge and I put a mean 90 in the neck, now that combo sounds good. I also tried some strat pickups from them, didn't care for their greybottom replicas, however the vintage overwound set with plastic bobbins and alnico magnets sounds pretty good in my squier bullet. Also, I had a lil killer side by side with cool rail and hot rail in my peavey, it sounded good on its own, but you would immediately notice extra detail and more character once you switched to either of the duncans. But for the price they are great and I would say they are better than stock epiphone pickups and maybe even better than some duncan designed pickups.

20. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

What the hell!!!