Grover Locking Tuners

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by FastFret, Nov 29, 2009.

1. FastFret

FastFret Senior Member

What Kind are the Best? The auto lock or thumbwheel locking kind??? I'm sure
    some of you guys have both and have reasons for liking one or the other so,
    please share you'r likes and dislikes here so we can compare... Thanks, :hmm:

2. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Most of mine are thumbwheel (Sperzels). No preference, though.

3. Rafał

Rafał Senior Member

Thumbwheels are the 502 model. They are used in the new Standards. I have one shipped so I will post more when it comes home, but they are 1:18 gear ratio.

4. weirdotis

weirdotis Senior Member

I'd go with Sperzels. I believe PRS uses these kind and they are very nice and smooth. My heart still lies with Klusons though :laugh2:

5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Member

My 08 standard has the thumb wheel ones, seem pretty good, haven't actually had to retune for a fair while now. Can't say for the Auto Locking ones.

Nightrain

6. Rafał

Rafał Senior Member

Loaded like a freight train...

Whatever, my teacher has a 08 Standard and says that theese tuner are pretty good, hold tune well, and the string change is really fast.

7. r9in09

r9in09 Senior Member

I used to have an 08 standard the tuners were solid

8. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Member

Rawr.

On a little side note, does anyone know how tight the thumb wheel ones need to be done up? Should they just be nipped up? or should I rip into them with a wrench of some sort? :applause: Just want to make sure I've done them up enough. :fingersx:

9. Rafał

Rafał Senior Member

I have got the same question, but I wanted to post it after installing tuners.

10. DitDah

DitDah Senior Member

You don't need to "rip into them"...the locking aspect of the tuner is not there to do anything more than hold the string in place while you are restringing. Yeah...some may have a different view on that... Once the tuner has tension on it...and or...has string wrapped around the post from tuning it up...the tension and friction hold it in place.

However...if you are like me...and use less than one wrap around your tuning post...the locking aspect may play a more important role. I personally have had ZERO issues...and I just finger snug the thumbwheel. Not wrenching down so tight...just firmly snug. No issues what so ever.

11. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Ferro Picta Carota

The new thumb wheel Grovers are better IMO. They work just like a Sperzel, feel more solid (and I'm a Sperzel fan), and they retain the stock Grover look. The older style autolocks have posts that are too long and look goofy sticking out the front of the headstock. my only complaint with both styles is they seem to be only available in chrome and not nickel; gold also if you want those, but no black either that I'm aware of.

12. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Member

Ok thanks, I know I shouldn't rip into them :naughty: mine currently have no wraps around the posts, just through the hole and locked, turned a little bit for the tuning.

13. DitDah

DitDah Senior Member

Nothing wrong with that. That's how I do it too. Some will say to have a wrap or 2 around the post...I've not found any need for that. You should be just fine.

thomasdgolden likes this.
  14. imsilly

imsilly Senior Member

Dumbass question, is there any reason to use locking tuners on a hardtail guitar?

I was recently talking to a friend who asked me about tuner upgrades and I said I haven't had any problems with vintage style Klusons even 50 year old examples. He was really into the idea of a locking tuners, but he didn't even have a bigsby or any vibrato mechanism on his guitar. What are the real benefits?

15. 2009LPGT

2009LPGT Senior Member

The idea is that there are fewer wraps around the post so there is less "settling in" from the tuner standpoint. However, the best feature is very fast string changes which I am sure the live players appreciate. As a tuner, they function pretty much the sames as any quality tuner properly strung. I was happy they came on my Standard as I have had them on PRS, Martin and Fenders and have always liked them.

thomasdgolden likes this.
  16. DitDah

DitDah Senior Member

There are no hardware configurations on a guitar that require the locking tuners. They are just an accessory ...if you like. They are completely independent of anything else. So, with that said...you can have them in just about any hardware configuration that I can think of.

17. siggy14

siggy14 Senior Member

the new thumbwheel grovers, does anyone know, will they fit my studio or customs?

18. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Ferro Picta Carota

Yes, they are a direct replacement for the larger hole on production Gibsons (not Historics).

19. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Locking tuners have nothing whatever in common with locking nuts or locking trems. They're not a substitute for a locking nut, either. The only thing "locking" about them is that they lock the string to the tuning post -- it's a faster restring since you don't have to fuss around with several turns around the post to lock the string onto it.

20. xray23

xray23 Member

Tattooed Carrot said what I wanted to say about the goofy long posts on the locking Grovers. Absolutely right and too goofy looking. The thumbwheel 18:1's are the good ones. They look the same from the top and my Les Pauls stay in tune very well. And that's due to less windings on the post just like everyone has said. They gotta do 'em in nickel though.