Got Hung Up On Tone Chaing

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by shawn71, Apr 21, 2017.

1. shawn71

shawn71 Junior Member

Let me start off by saying I love to experiment with different sounds and tones. I found out however, that I got caught up in tone chasing and buying pedals and I found myself lost in a world of distortion and overdrive. So much so that It started becoming unsatisfying and down right redundant. I like different kinds of music but all of which are guitar driven. I like a nice crunchy classic rock sound as well and a heavy distorted meaty sound. I use a Marshall MG30CFX along with Epiphone Les Paul's and a Fender Mexican Strat. I suddenly discovered through all this was the fact that I wasn't enjoying my guitars. I'm not a professional musician and I don't play in a band, I just love guitars and playing them and somewhere along the way I had forgotten about that. Out of all the pedals I have I decided to pick 2 sounds that I enjoy playing, one is a heavy metal meaty distortion. For this, I chose the Boss Metal Zone, That's right, the ole Boss Metal Zone. I've heard a bunch of people hate on this pedal but to me, I think its great. I had to dial it in which took a while because I have guitars with active EMG's and passive Pro Buckers so to find a nice setting took a little work. The other pedal I chose was the Boss BD-2 (Bluesdriver). The BD-2 may be the best pedal I own, it's very versatile, you can get a multitude of tones from it and its great just as an overdrive for your amp. I guess the point to this post is that we all love playing guitars, specifically Les Paul's, and we all enjoy great tone. If you have a well setup guitar you'll be surprised how good your tone can be regardless of how many pedals you use. Have fun my friends and enjoy your LP's.

MUSTANGCAT likes this.
  2. Burst Boy

Burst Boy Senior Member

I too love to experiment with tones and sounds and have a rather large collection of effects pedals. I'm hung up on distortion and OD pedals but in a good way. I have way to many but love the freedom to chop n' change n' experiment. It keeps things fresh for me and inspires me to play. If I only had a couple of pedals I don't think I'd play as much 'cause I get bored easily. I constantly change around pedals and enjoy every bit of it. I also love guitar straight into amp and do it occasionally to keep myself grounded as to what a good guitar and amp can sound like.

MUSTANGCAT likes this.
  3. Victek

Victek Senior Member

My experience using the Blues Driver has been very positive. Perhaps it gets overlooked because it's older, but you're right about it having a good sound :yesway:

MUSTANGCAT likes this.
  4. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

I got hung up on P F Chaing:)

5. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Pedals are supposed to be fun. Try to enjoy the ride instead of chasing something you may never find. Seems simple, but it took me years to figure out.

MUSTANGCAT likes this.