Gibson Les Paul R9 Historic Relic Project

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by al3d, Dec 13, 2011.

1. al3d

al3d Senior Member

Well...for the last year or so i've been asked if i've done any relic work on a Les Paul....SO...not wanting to give it a try on someone else's guitar, i decided on doing a load of research and then apply what i've learn on my own Les Paul. Yeah..it's a wee bit crazy, but the best way to test techniques and knowledge is in doing it..:) After Talking with Nico, again thanks a million for your generosity, and after having done over 30 fender style relics, i realize it's a mix of different technique.

This will be a somewhat long project, i'de say about about 3 to 4 months at best since it's not like i'm doing it 8hrs a day. i do small bits every day and will post progress picts as i go along.

SO..here is the first few picts of the work. first is the dings on the back side of the body..and the wear on the back. THIS is not final, it's just the first stage..:)

Flash makes the red almost like a Neon..but hey....And a little pict of my workspace home when doing relic, repairs and other stuff that does'nt require anything chemical.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. al3d

al3d Senior Member

OK...more started today...the checking portion of the relic work. This quite tedious work and a weeb bit hard on the eyes. Right now it's a wee bit in your face because of the flash, but once all done and proper treatment is done, it looks pretty bad ass..:)

[​IMG]

bubba steen, schaapie and wulfman like this.
  3. MagPel

MagPel Senior Member

I think the back looks way cool. Not sure why the front looks a bit hazy but that looks sort of cheap to me. I realise that you are just at the beginning of this and more will happen. Will be sure to follow this!

Thank you for posting.

4. Nays

Nays Member

Looking nice Al! Killer top on that thing!

5. al3d

al3d Senior Member

Hte weird haze is crated by the combination of my forearm been on the top so long and camera Flash..:)

6. MagPel

MagPel Senior Member

Ok, yeah now i see. Thought maby it was an attempt at dulling up the clearcoat. Don't mind me... Carry on!:)

7. al3d

al3d Senior Member

Dulling with come MUCH later..:)

8. MagPel

MagPel Senior Member

:thumb:

9. al3d

al3d Senior Member

OK..nothing worst then doing a picture of something BLACK with a Flash..but as a teaser..started the Headstock..:)

[​IMG]

10. nickypcouk

nickypcouk Member

I'll tell you something, that headstock is looking REALLY old. i'd be careful not to overdo it from that point where you are. make sure you dont get a disconnect between the body and the neck with your ageing. keep us all posted. and please give tips and pointers while you're at it <3

the headstock is great

Sawgwa likes this.
  11. al3d

al3d Senior Member

seems to look a LOT worst with this pict..LOL..i'll take some picts without the stupid flash today..it's not THAT old..lol

12. MagPel

MagPel Senior Member

Yeah, i agree. If you dont mind sharing, i would love some "how to" in this. Looks great!

13. nicudeemus1

nicudeemus1 Senior Member

are you gonna fade the cherry colour?

14. al3d

al3d Senior Member

only way i know of doing that would be to sand off all the clear...so...no..LOL

15. al3d

al3d Senior Member

WELL..decided to go even further in my project. ...So...might as well go for it. The more i looked at the Top...the more i did'nt like the eye popping Cherry sunburst. SO...WTF..let's remove it..:) and do one i will like...wish should be more in line of a faded tea burst

Before and now shots..LOL.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bubba steen likes this.
  16. dazzypig

dazzypig Senior Member

Heavy relic, eh?

17. JoBeans

JoBeans Senior Member

Ballsy move, I like the cut of your jib mister. Can't wait to see the updates

Boyinblack likes this.
  18. al3d

al3d Senior Member

Jib Mister?....what's that?..:)....i'm getting the paint next week..can't wait to repaint her..:)

19. skynyrd67

skynyrd67 Senior Member

Pretty cool,,looking forward to the next step. Someone saying I like the cut of your jib is an old old saying,,translates basically to you got guts.

20. al3d

al3d Senior Member

OH..ahaha..ok ok...:) been French Canadien, don't know all expressions ya know hey!..LOL