Gibson ES-335... PLYWOOD?

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by Mr. Diamond, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Mr. Diamond

Mr. Diamond Senior Member

I came across this gorgeous guitar at Ed Roman's and then see a claim from him that Gibson is using PLYWOOD?!?!?! Seems hard to believe. Has anyone else heard this claim from another source?

Guitars - Eastman Guitars - Eastman Blues Deluxe - Ed Roman Guitars

2. Harpozep

Harpozep V.I.P. Member

Ah, Ed again. He does get some press, doesn't he? I came upon him a year or two ago on the net, though he ran a store near me some years back and he was ranting then as well! He LIKED Gibson way back when he was a Gibson dealer, go figure.......:hmm::hmm:

Anyway, plywood, SURE, if the simple definition of plywood is a layered laminate.:hmm::rolleyes: 335's and their brothers all have laminated tops at least.
    I prefer the solid carved tops of the 336-356 series, but I've enjoyed the Plywood on my Howard Robert Fusion and my 335. Just picked up an Eastwood plywood hollowbody as well.

3. Mr. Diamond

Mr. Diamond Senior Member

I never thought of the laminate being plywood. Just never gave it much thought.
    A buddy of mine is looking at the ES-335 Fat Neck - he is just getting back into playing but he fell in love with it once the guy at the store put it in his hands.

Yeah, ole Ed has some interesting comments from time to time about PRS and everyone else. I need to stop by there next time I'm in Vegas.

4. tarddoggy

tarddoggy V.I.P. Member

that guy has some seriously malfunctioning thoughts,man.....

5. Sven

Sven Senior Member

And Eastman guitars are made in China, so that part's a not true.

6. Samantha

Samantha MLP Cub Reporter V.I.P. Member

get him to listen to BB king live and then if he has any complaints.

TLTeo and Sharky like this.
  7. ac4rd

ac4rd Senior Member

Photo! Photo! Photo!

I've never seen a HR Fusion in the flesh--they look pretty amazing in the photos.

I had an Ibanez copy of the regular HR ... darned nice guitar. I keep thinking one day I may run into one of those lawsuit LPs.

8. Harpozep

Harpozep V.I.P. Member

Done:) The Howard is a wonderful guitar. Mojo, playability, and more. Still, I sold it in a moment of weakness to pay for nothing I can remember:rolleyes:

Here ya go. From a few years back when Katy was a bit smaller:

[​IMG]

Here's Katy from last week:

[​IMG]

krapac likes this.
  9. StratBoy

StratBoy Junior Member

Plywood / laminate? I guess it depends how one wants to express it... and what kind of spin one's looking to put on a comment.

Laminated tops are much stiffer than solid woods... so the guitar is less prone to feedback. I believe that 335s, 345s and 355s (plus ES 175s and a whole bunch of other Gibsons) have always been laminate (3 ply, I think, in the main). Bottom line... there have been some gorgeous tones produced on 335s over the years and no amount of comments about plywood can take that away!! They are what they are.... and they can sound great

10. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Ferro Picta Carota

I don't know if plywood is the proper term, but those style guitars are made of laminates because solid wood doesn't bend. They make those guitars by bending them into the desired shape and taping the in place.

Blog Posts Across Smashngrab Cafe - Smashngrab Cafe

[​IMG]

11. StratBoy

StratBoy Junior Member

True... guitar makers bend laminated wood to form the curved top and the curved sides on a 335 type guitar... but solid woods can also be bent eg the sides on acoustic guitars. I think, in this case, the choice to use laminates is more to do with improved stiffness... especially for guitars that (unlike 335s) don't have centre blocks eg ES175s.

Plywood is another term for laminated wood... it's just that, unfortunately, people automatically assume that plywood is a cheap product. Of course there are different levels of quality in plywoods. Plywood just refers to the fact that it's made of a number of plys.

I guess some people may be interested in stirring a little debate by referring to plywood... perhaps in the hope that it will promote a less positive image... perhaps not. Technically, I think plywood is correct... but when I use the term in reference to a 335, I mean no disrespect. For many years, my favourite guitar was a 335.

12. ac4rd

ac4rd Senior Member

Harpozep--your HR Fusion was *gorgeous*. Those things just look amazing!

On the "plywood" front, I'm pretty sure I saw an interview with Howard Roberts (I think it was in the big collection of "Guitar Player" interviews that they sold as a collection, had a brown cover, this would have been the late 70s, probably) .. interview in which Howard Roberts, the dirty guitar player, said that when he talked to Gibson about doing a signature guitar, he specified a laminated top, both to minimize feedback and for stiffness--he was a very physical player, and could put a hurtin' on a fragile guitar.

13. Belzeebub

Belzeebub V.I.P. Member

Looks like Ed will say claim and say anything just to sell guitars.

14. banditguitarist1

banditguitarist1 Senior Member

Ed Roman seems to have alot to say against Gibson lol but I am loving his Fool SG [​IMG]
    I have always wanted one of those

15. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

I don't know why anyone bothers to read Ed Roman's rants.

I think (probably wrong here though) I read somewhere the laminated top started with the ES175 in the 50s (?) to combat feedback.

Someone tossing out a term like 'plywood' to make you think there's something wrong with it is just a joke.

SteveGangi likes this.
  16. shotgunlew

shotgunlew V.I.P. Member

Ed roman.......the guy was a jerk when we spoke....

chris

17. RCCola

RCCola Premium Member

Solid carved tops apparently are louder acoustically but laminated tops, as many have mentioned are less prone to feedback. Laminates also apparently sound better plugged-in so such tops are better for use with amps. Of course, that's a very gross generalization...

Skateboard decks are usually created with 7 layers of maple and you can imagine the type of forces act upon these pieces of wood, so I believe it when people say laminate is stronger than single thin slabs of wood.

SteveGangi likes this.
  18. RCCola

RCCola Premium Member

Ah, actually I think it's because the laminate is more dense. This increases sustain - just read about it in the Beauty of the Burst book.

19. GuitarDean

GuitarDean Senior Member

Ed Roman is a self-serving, over-opinionated, under-educated moron. Reading his rants is akin to listening to politicians ranting on their opponents, sometimes part right but always full of useless rubbish and rumor that forwards their opinions alone, never teaching or helpful.

20. kernelofwisdom

kernelofwisdom V.I.P. Member

That's awesome in the first picture how she's looking at the guitar instead of toward the photographer. Reminds me of one of those medieval paintings where the baby is always looking up to the Madonna. :)