Gibson custom shop order vs custom built guitar

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by tuco, Sep 18, 2011.

1. tuco

tuco Senior Member

Can you order a historic with custom specs directly from gibson? Are there any quality builders that can produce a les paul for the same price as a new historic 3500-7000? It seems most of the builders charge substantially more than a gibson.

2. amiga

amiga Member

3500-7000 ?? No way you can build a good replica for under 20k-25k with decent electronics and plastic/hardware. For that amount of money I'd be looking at a conversion or a good Historic with a Makeover. IMO a replica won't be any better than an upgraded Historic and it will never be a Gibson.

This is a sensitive topic, if you want a Gibson then buy one and support them. You won't have any issues selling it later.

3. tuco

tuco Senior Member

Why a sensitive topic? I own and have owned numerous gibsons. I'm just thinking about getting some custom specs so I'm seeing what options are out there.

4. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

$20K-$25K?? I don't think he's talking about finding original Historic hardware, plastics and electronics. It sounds like he's just wanting a modern Historic Custom Shop model with a few changes or different specs.

I'm pretty sure Gibson won't do any changes unless you get with a Gibson dealer and do a Custom Order. Last I heard the Custom Orders had to be at least 25 guitars so unless you can find others wanting in on a Custom Order or a Gibson Dealer that wants to do it it will never happen. Even then it would cost substantially more than a regular Gibson Custom Shop Historic.

What different specs were you wanting over a regular Gibson Custom Shop Historic?

5. Outlaw Josey Wales

Outlaw Josey Wales Member

Why not find a nice used Historic and have a makeover done
    to your specs?

Clarify on specifics that you want.

6. River

River Senior Member

No one can say what the price would be without knowing the specs.

I'm not aware that Gibson does custom orders anymore, unless you're Steve Miller or Billy Gibbons. Best people to ask would be...Gibson.

I'd start by finding out who the luthiers are that built nice guitars for folks here, then send them your specs and ask for a quote.

DADGAD and Frogfur like this.
  7. weirdotis

weirdotis Senior Member

I think they have started up doing custom orders again. On the Gibson Custom Facebook page, they frequently post guitars identified as special orders or one-offs. They recently posted an all-gold R7 with Bigsby.

But, I don't know for sure. :dunno:

8. The Refugee

The Refugee Senior Member

Mr. Roman Rist could get you a kick ass guitar for a butt load less than 20k...

9. ElectricMagick

ElectricMagick Senior Member

What? 25k?! Tom Bartlett does awesome ones for 6800. He can do all your specs. A MAX is like 25k.
    Why does gibson need to be supported? Huge company versus small custom luthier. hmmmm?

10. Barker

Barker Senior Member

Yeah, the Custom Shop is doing custom orders. I looked into it, and there is a new'ish member on here named Riffs who had them do a custom "one-off" R9 for him. Maybe he can chime in with some details.

11. jamman

jamman Premium Member

There Are many builders who make Replica's for well under $10K . But if you want PAF's and original Burst plastics and hardware you will pay big Time . But most Replica builds are well under 10K. There are builders Here on our site. look for them
    I know from recent, personal, first hand knowledge, that Gibson Does in fact Take orders to do Custom Shop work. Once the Order is completed, it's 6-8 for the build . Unless they have something else they need to do. Than you have to wait your turn. The difficult part is Getting Gibson to offer you What you like and want . If your looking for a solid color ,or plain top , you'll have no problem . It's a bit more costly but you'll get everything you like within reason .

If you want a custom ordered Gibson ,it must be done though an Aurthized dealer Gibson does not sell direct . The stores take thier cut .

12. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Where can you get a Max for 25K ? they go for around 35 - 40K + now

13. Riffs

Riffs Senior Member

Yep I had a custom order done recently. I initiated the order in August of last year and received my guitar in January. I ordered mine from Guitar Center. You can speak with the platinum room manager at your local GC and tell him any specs that you want. He'll contact a Gibson Rep and get a price quote for you. I would say expect a wait time of anywhere from 3 to 6 months. Hope this helps.

14. amiga

amiga Member

Yes he does great work.

If you can find one for 25k please let me know.

Please read my post 'carefully'. Do independent luthiers build Gibsons ?

15. dodger916

dodger916 Senior Member

I would think Gibson employees do, but that's his point. You mention supporting Gibson, he replied why does Gibson need support, and (I believe) he suggested supporting a local luthier who practices his art outside of the corporate mantle as a small business owner. There's obvious value in having these small guys local, especially since many of them are fine craftsmen and artisans.

cmh6122 and zeronalo like this.
  16. ptgold

ptgold Senior Member

You can find ALOT of builders who will build you a Les Paul/Les Paulish guitars for 5K and under. They just wont say Gibson on the headstock

Replicas with Gibson on the headstock will cost alot more and theyre overhyped. Youd be be better off with a good historic from Marks Guitar loft or some type of vendor like that.

I would personally go the Small Luthier route....much more fun. Besides Roman Rist and some others check out the DAG website. Lots of small builders there who make LP or LP style guitars.

Destroy All Guitars - the Boutique Guitar Renaissance has a Home

rvschulz likes this.
  17. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful Banned

Gibson is desparate for money, they might sue you.

18. brettk7

brettk7 MLP Sponsor

#facepalm

19. brettk7

brettk7 MLP Sponsor

If you want to custom-order a Custom Shop Gibson, you certainly can do it. I have done several orders like that for customers, if you would like I can walk you through the process sometime.

chunchung0827 likes this.
  20. Catfish

Catfish Senior Member

I asked a shop in the UK about ordering a one-off Gibson Custom and was told it is possible, but rarely worth the effort.

I'd be much better off, they said, buying the closest off-the-peg Custom and getting a local luthier to customise it for me.

If that simply wasn't good enough they said I should be prepared to pay 2-3 times the regular price (up front) and wait 6-9 months, plus however long it takes to ship the guitar to the UK.