Florentine Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RAHAZ, Mar 29, 2010.

1. RAHAZ

RAHAZ Senior Member

I asked this question in the Les Paul area but thought some on there might know as well. Is there anyone on here with a Gibson Les Paul Florentine? The semi-hollow body type with F-Holes. What I'm looking for is the older one made in the 90's like this one:
    [​IMG]

I am in need of some gut shots, specs and/or measurements if it is possible. I own an Epiphone version of this guitar and love it but I want to try my hand at building one out of real woods vs. plywood.

Specifics: Perimeter and back thickness, What does the bridge support area look like through the control cavity? What do the pickup and control cavities look like on the inside?

If I can get enough information I will create a PDF file to aid anyone else wanting to make one.:thumb:

2. Raz59

Raz59 Senior Member

It's not exactly specs of a Florentine BUT I hope it helps - John Catto made some plans based of the '59 Les Paul and they're available on the net:

http://www.mondocatto.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Lespaul59-ver10full.pdf

3. RAHAZ

RAHAZ Senior Member

Thanks RAZ59.

4. xsouldriverx

xsouldriverx V.I.P. Member

maybe its just the binding but what you posted seems too round to be florentine
    this is more like what i think of a florentine
    [​IMG]

i do really like the guitr you posted though. love pauls with f holes. it seems natural

5. MikeGates

MikeGates Senior Member

I thought it was called an Elitist or something tho that effect. I am building a Spanish Cedar Cloud 9 LP with DC and thought since its already hollow on the inside to put f-holes on it. The f-holes look really nice on the LP, and its kind of a mesh of my favorite two guitars the ES-335 and the LP.

6. w666

w666 Senior Member

Try Gibson "Bantam Elite"

[​IMG]

7. w666

w666 Senior Member

Or, try "Florentine" :)

[​IMG]

8. RAHAZ

RAHAZ Senior Member

I agree, I love the F-holes on a Les Paul.

I say do it, that'd be sexy as hell.:naughty:

[​IMG]Love it!

9. Imsomaha

Imsomaha Junior Member

I just purchased a 2001 custom shop florentine. is there any ref sites to determine color. Prod run etc. mine is a solid color no burst. Honeysuckle I believe. There is just no info I have found. Ser. Cs11204. called gibson direct

10. zontar

zontar Senior Member

I believe you mean solid wood--plywood is real wood--it's particle board & mdf that, while it contains what once was wood, that wouldn't be real wood--or at least pure wood.

But I get the point--sounds like a cool idea.

11. RAHAZ

RAHAZ Senior Member

I do not know of any database short of emailing Gibson customer service.

Yeah. I've started on a Semi Hollow build inspired by mt old guitar but it isn't a Les Paul. You can find the link in my signature. It's one of three current builds I am working on.:naughty: