First Les Paul Buy- Les Paul Junior vs Studio

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by tweezed, Jul 26, 2011.

1. tweezed

tweezed Junior Member

Hey guys,

I'm trying to find a good guitar to save up for further down the road. Which is more versatile, the faded Studio or the Les Paul jr. ?

2. Neil(UK)

Neil(UK) Senior Member

Versatile?

I guess the Studio if only for the choice of pickup selection.

That said I really appreciate my Junior as you have to put in a bit more effort with it and I like P90's.

RichBrew likes this.
  3. smcgov

smcgov Senior Member

The studio is much more versatile....although I love my jr, ts really good at what it does.

4. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Studio is probably more versatile - for the reasons highlighted above - but the Junior has more character, for me. Once you learn to work with the volume control, there's a good range of tones from a single (good quality) bridge pickup.

5. tweezed

tweezed Junior Member

Sorry, I used the wrong choice of words there. I meant quality and playability, but it's looking like the junior is the winner.

6. nutsauce

nutsauce Senior Member

I have honestly never played a Studio, but there is just something about a Jr. that speaks to me...and many others obviously. This was my first Gibson and it's still one of my most played guitars. I love the white with ebony fretboard.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

River likes this.
  7. marc1kim

marc1kim Senior Member

I love Juniors, but the studio will get you more tones with the neck pickup. Quality/playability? you can have both on either...just look around for the right one for you. I've had two P-90 junior that were awesome, but now I'm in love with my GC exclusive humbucker Junior

[​IMG]

8. nauc

nauc Senior Member

go play both and decide?

9. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Senior Member

IMO, the bigger difference between these guitars is the fact that one has a carved top and one is flat. That makes a difference in how they feel to play.

If you're looking for a flat top, an old "The Paul" model may be worth looking into as well. For me, I wanted a LP with a carved top, so I went with a studio.

10. River

River Senior Member

A Junior is NOT less versatile than a two-pickup guitar, IME. It just makes you think and work a little harder.

They're also WAY more forgiving, compared to hitting that toggle switch on a Studio/Standard and hearing your sound go down the shitter while you're up on stage, all nervous and shit, launching into a solo, all eyes upon you.

KISS.

11. River

River Senior Member

Srsly? In what way? In my mind, the difference is infinitesimal. It's there, sure, but it's not.

Bigger than having an extra pickup? :shock: