ES-335 Kit build (GFS)

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Lagtastic, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Senior Member

Hi guys,

Just bought an ES-335 Kit from GFS. Seems to be a «too good to be true» type of deal but hey... we'll see!!

Even GFS advice the buyers that the electronic supplied with the kit is less than great...! I can only imagine how much it's bad..:shock:

Since I didnt find anybody here that build this kit, i'm gonna try and document this post as soon as there is some progress!

(english = not my first langage soooo my grammar-nazi friends, be indulgent please! :))

2 people like this.
  2. Syrus

Syrus Senior Member

Seems Legit.

Post more.

3. H.E.L.Shane

H.E.L.Shane Senior Member

I just bought one too... Lets compare notes, sepc 'em out, and we'll get an idea about kit to kit quality...

It may be awhile until i get around to finishing my kit, I have a lot of paid work to get done before..but it should be here next week to spec it out.

4. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Senior Member

Nice!

I can't wait to get this kit!
    Since i'm in Québec, Canada, it should get here in 2 weeks maybe...

I think about finishing mine in a kind of blackburst with a purple center...I'm not sure yet.

I've almost finished a weirdo project (surf green strat with 3 lipsticks and matching headstock) and a refinish on an old, cheap, acoustic fender so i NEED another project! :naughty:

I'll try to post as most detail as possible!

5. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

So what's the verdict?

6. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

7. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Senior Member

I just got my kit last friday.

Didn't had time to closely inspect it.

After a good inspection, I can say that I'm not surprised that this kit is only 200$...! It's a 3 pieces maple neck, there's some minor finishing flaws (fingerboard dye on the neck binding for example) but all in all, nothing less than expected from a 200$ kit.

The neck pocket dosen't fits the neck tenon but the height seems nothing like in the picture (see the other post).

The body is covered with a pretty nice flamed maple veneer but it's soooooooooo thin that I'm gonna have to be really careful when sanding.

The bag of electronics and parts is nothing less than a bag-o-crap though... the tuners are horrible, the wiring they give is horrible, the pick guard is such a piece of sh*** that I actually laugh when I saw it.

Sooo... after hesitating a lot, i decided that I was gonna try and make that chinese not-335 sound like a great guitar: PAF hb, new tuners, new bridge, saddle and some good vintage electronic. Anyway... if it's bad at the end, i'm gonna be able to recycle everything in another project!

--Pictures coming soon--

8. djrussell

djrussell Senior Member

Bit of a shame but post pictures as you go man - would love to see this build.

1 person likes this.
  9. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Senior Member

Ok...so let's post some pictures of this kit...!

Overall look of the thing...not bad...from afar :)

[​IMG]

The inlay job....not A1

[​IMG]

Ooopps...a little bit of dye on the binding...bahh...those canadian
    customers won't care...!

[​IMG]

A little gap between the binding and the neck...

[​IMG]

3 pieces neck

[​IMG]

Tenon...

[​IMG]

Not THAT symetrical back (and a GREAT beer from the province of Québec! :) )

[​IMG]

Thinnnnn flamed maple top

[​IMG]

Nice flamed maple top (higlighted with some naphta)

[​IMG]

Binding in F holes, nice touch

[​IMG]

Neck height. Not that scary but i wonder about that angle....:hmm:

[​IMG]

So, as you can see, it's far from perfect but i've decided to get the max i can from this kit and I see it as a challenge to build this in a great sounding guitar. Hope it's gonna work....! Wish me luck hahaha

It's as far from a es 335 that a semi hollow can be..seriously...but still, it's a nice base from where to start... who knows, maybe I'm gonna be able to get something good at the end. At least, i'm gonna have some fun building it! :thumb:

10. djrussell

djrussell Senior Member

Thats disappointing, but nothing that cant be fixed. What happened to the tenon too? If it came like that you should see if you can get a discount. B-Stock kits lol Put that $50 towards a nice bridge or something.

1 person likes this.
  11. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Senior Member

The tenon came that way...
    Like you say, nothing that can't be fixed.

I just realize that i didn't post a picture of the pick guard or electronics...

I'm gonna do it soon. Promise.

12. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

13. djrussell

djrussell Senior Member

$280 + shipping is kind of steep though... i'd probably opt for an Epi and hotrod it. I know you dont get that personal touch but you save a bit and get a nice finish lol

BYO Guitar are not bad though... I bought a neck from them once and the workmanship was beautiful, but the fretjob was horrible.

14. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Senior Member

Sooo
    It's been a while since I gave some infos on this kit.

I decided to go with a kinda-sunburst look on the top and black everywhere else. I may do a funky matching headstock with that...not so sure about that atm...

I decided to do everything by hand, with rags and transtints colors.

My advice to all of you that may buy one of these kits: carefully check for glue residue. On my kit, they were all over the place and I had to work a lot to get those of the top. Since the veneer is sooooo thin, it's a delicate operation and the glue is hard to spot. It got a little bit annoying very fast... :shock:

So, decided to tint the top black:

[​IMG]

Sanded (to pop the grain):

[​IMG]

Coat of mustard-vomit-brownish-mucus-yellow as a basecoat to work from (that was NOT the color i was looking for hahaha):

[​IMG]

And....the colors...!!! Pretty happy with the results (since it's the first time I work with dyes!) I called it ''Fireburst'':

[​IMG]

And...with the binding scraped:

[​IMG]

Note: the binding in the F-holes is not well made....there is a lot of irregular spots and the scraping was a p.i.t.a.... but overall, very satisfied of the result!

More to come!

4 people like this.
  15. SiriusAbbott

SiriusAbbott Senior Member

16. djrussell

djrussell Senior Member

Very nice. That colour turned out excellent man. I do love that binding on the f-holes.

17. purevilpleasure

purevilpleasure Senior Member

I almost want to pick one up...but I have too many other things right now...they can store it there until I'm ready, and maybe the next generation will have a bit better binding.

For bang for bucks...GFS still is pretty good stuff.

18. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Senior Member

True
    I have 1 GFS pedal (a fuzz) and one of my friends bought a neck and everything is A1...!

Still, the kit is a little bit cheap.. hehehe

1 person likes this.
  19. TheZ

TheZ Senior Member

I think that looks great. Keep at it and keep us posted!

20. David Mccarroll

David Mccarroll Senior Member

let's see - 3 piece Maple neck, ply body, slightly dicey construction quality ..... hmmmm - sounds like you got a slightly better than Norlin period 335 for about $200!

The result looks great so far - I totally agree about the hardware, I got a Les Paul kit very similar to the GFS ones and the bag-o-bits was pretty much 100% binnable!

FWIW, I bought one of the Xaviere Jazzmaster copies for something ludicrous like $219 to make a Baritone (Warmoth neck) and generally the quality of the Xaviere was top notch for what it cost me - very impressed!