Epiphone Les Paul Custom - how good is it...

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by ajaxajax2000, Dec 9, 2008.

1. ajaxajax2000

ajaxajax2000 Senior Member

...really?

Or - the title could be "I'm a total jerk!!!"

Here's what happened. I was looking for a not-so-expensive-alternative to my Burny for travelling purpose. Something that sounded good, was fun to play on but could take a scratch or two without me going crazy. I almost bought a $600 "Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Ebony w/ Mirror Pickgaurd Ltd. Ed." which is on a sale camaign here in Sweden now. Original prize is said to be $1140.

But instead I fell head over heels for a Gibson LP Classic and bought that, thinking I should downgrade my Burny to travel-axe and beater.

I'm now sheepishly back on square one - can't really toss any of these beauties around like i forsee (yes - I do have good hard cases for both, but I'm seeing this travel guitar being treated a little rough all the same), so I'm again looking at the Epi LP Custom.

Any of you know this and how good is it? Really? Would an Epi Std or Studio do just as well?

TIA for any advice! :slash:

2. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Studio and Custom are the exact same quality. The Studio would be MY suggestion for a travel/beater guitar.

Epiphania likes this.
  3. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Studio! My friend has a wine red one. Its the mutt's nuts. :thumb: If you want a beater get a studio goth.

tele-bastard and Epiphania like this.
  4. qwank

qwank Senior Member

goth!

5. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

My Goth is an animal. (And, my wallpaper is stupid - but I'm a renter! :D )

[​IMG]

6. ajaxajax2000

Reeeeeaaally nice, Diceman.

Maybe I should go for a SG? Lighter and cheaper. Or ....?

(Totally confused by now :shock: )

7. Benniator

Benniator Senior Member

Get a Custom, or you're letting the terrorists win.

8. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

Well if you really need a beater guitar then yes the studio...

9. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

SGs are totally something else... if you want an LP type then the Studio definitely. Once you get your first SG, you'd prolly not want to bring that for travel as well :D

10. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

If you want light and easy to travel with, the PRS SE's are some great guitars! I just got one the other day - I love it.

[​IMG]

11. ajaxajax2000

In what way is an SG totally different? I know the tone differs some, but that I can live with.

12. Magnum22

Magnum22 Senior Member

HAHAHAHHAAHAHAH!!!!!

goth looks great with that triple ply pick guard and the zebra. may have to rip you off, there.

HAHA!!!! again!

i think that faded SG for $300 is a good choice. it'll sound a little different, big deal. you still have your amp and your hands playing a 24.75" set mahogany neck with the same pickups.

13. Benniator

Benniator Senior Member

<threadjack>

So how does it sound? I've never plugged in a PRS, but I've read their sound being described as underwhelming and generic. How was the fit and finish? Did you need a setup? How would you compare it to a Strat?

</threadjack>

14. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

(Lets see... Well, it isn't a *real* PRS (although I think that PRS guitars sound amazing! They *almost* do Les Paul, but they cover such a broad spectrum w/ the coil tap - I wouldn't call them underwhelming or generic in the least!). I immediately pulled the tone cap and put in a Vitamin Q .022 PIO. I got it used - setup was nice, 9's feel about like 10's on my LP's (.25" longer scale w/ PRS) - no nut binding or tuning issues. This guitar sounds REALLY GOOD. Acoustically, it is not at all impressive. Plugged in, it screams. Pinch harmonics fly out like nobody's business. The stock pickups are quite nice - I have no intentions of changing them. I'm probably NOT going to drop a few hundred in this thing for a bridge/nut/tuner upgrade, nor pickups, because I think it sounds and plays excellent as it is. 3 piece back, 4 piece maple cap with a nice veneer over top, looks like a 1 piece neck - overall result is great. Wiring is much nicer looking than my Epis. Very lightweight guitar as well. For the $365w/case/shipped that I paid, I can't imagine a better deal! My next guitar will be a USA PRS without a doubt - I got past my "only Nitro is good enough on a high end guitar" mentality when I got my Elitists - I slightly prefer LP's, but I love those PRS McCarty/Standard/Customs)

15. Benniator

Benniator Senior Member

Yeah, I saw that it was a Korean PRS. Still interested, though. Thanks for the info!

16. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Well worth a look. I don't think they're "as much" a PRS as an Epiphone is a Les Paul - it feels quite different than the PRS guitars I've played - still a nice guitar for the $$.

17. sasquatch

sasquatch Senior Member

I've been knocked out by my LP ever since I got it.
    Love It even better with the upgraded pups.
    That $3300 Gibson didn't cost me that, oh wait,
    I forgot ..
    it does say Epiphone.
    My hands can't tell a difference though.

18. rehasher69

rehasher69 Member

for me, i like the inlays of the standards/customs.. not to mention binding looks killer..
    i would spend a little more, and not just get a studio-- even for a beater, ya gotta have some style ;)

Attached Files:

19. Mickdoo22@Verizon.net

Mickdoo22@Verizon.net Member

I think from a pure quality and consistency stand-point, the Santana SE's are MUCH better than the Epiphones. The problem with the Epiphone's is that they are SO hit or miss. The majority of them are crap...and it takes a good number of them to find one that stands out. The Santana SE's are more uniformly good guitars, with a better overall build quality.
    That said.....if you DO find a good Epiphone, I think they are better than the SE's. I personally feel that if the China plants focuses more on good wood selection and eye on high quality in the details, they could absolutely own the sub $700 market.
    The difference in quality between a $650 MIC Epiphone Les Paul, and an $1100 Epiphone Elitist is STAGGERING.

20. LEFTY LES

LEFTY LES Banned

Hey Dice one of my wifes friends just bought a Epi LP Studio for her kid at GC. She said she had the chance to buy what she said was a different epi for just a little more, about $100-or $200 more dollars. From what I got out of her description I think it was the Epiphone Limited Edition Custom in Silverburst. I didnt say anthing to her about it, didt give my opinion. Going by your quote :lol: is the only difference between the two again cosmetic??? Now that being said should she STILL have gotten the Custom over the Studio? Her kid liked them both but she really liked the (Im calling it the custom cause thats what I think it is) the custom and for some reason went with the Studio at the last minute. I wonder why the guys who worked with her at GC didn't say "hey I really think you should get this or this for this reason" ya know??? I think the Silverburst was on sale you know priced to move.I bet the kid working there relized what a deal it was and got it for himself.
    On a different note I think it sucks that people leave a place like GC confused and almost regretful about a purchase. It's funny how people preach customer service and how thats the most important thing. I feel that in todays word, right now its never been worst.

Sorry to bable guys. So what do you think DICE, (about the original question before I got sidetract )