Dragonfire pu's?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Trewblue, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Trewblue

Trewblue Member

I know they're cheap but has anyone tried them? I just ordered a set of HB size P90's to put in a Epi Special II. Thanks for any input.

2. Trewblue

Trewblue Member

NO but they're so inexpensive just wanted to know what I was in for!
    That was an interesting link you gave there Indyclone. I've used GFS pu's(Dream 90's in a Epi Dot and SG , Vintage '59s in a Epi LP Studio and a set of pro 63's in a Tele.).
    If the DF's areon the same level, as stated by Ken, the owner of Dragonfire, I'm sure I'll be very happy.

Thanks for the info.

3. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

they are of decent quality and will serve you well but IMHO and IME it probably would have been a better option in the long run to buy used duncans or dimarzio's for around $40-$50 each.
    I sold my screamer set,i just wanted to test the waters and made my $$$ back from selling them and dont regret trying them:)

4. cmcoram

cmcoram Senior Member

I bought a set of Screamers and they're not bad, especially considering the price. Just wasn't enough output for me, so I eventually went active, with EMG's JH set. I have considered trying a set of their actives if I buy another Les Paul, or possibly the Squier Jim Root Tele.

5. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

I used a prewired HSS set of the $40 variety from Dragonfire, and I thought it was an excellent value. I liked the big blues tones I got from the neck pickup in particular. In fact, I think the neck pickup alone was worth the purchase price. The Screamer humbucker was too hot for my taste, but thats just taste. I would definitly consider Ken's higher end pickups in the future.

6. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

one import that really took me by surprise was the GFS VEH model:shock:
    that is actually a very good pu that has it own signature tone.
    sounds like a hand wound hot PAF:)

7. AJ6strinsgsting

AJ6strinsgsting Member

I bought the Gold covered Vintage Screamers, Screamers and two stacked humbucker dual Hot Rails ..... as good as Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan :dude:

8. DPaulCustom

DPaulCustom Senior Member

I got their vintage alnico standard strat loaded pickguard, it wasn't too bad. It was a little edgy for me.
    After playing it for a while, I changed the A5 rods for A3, & it really sounds good, took the edge off & sweetened it up just enough.

9. crapthatsloud

crapthatsloud Senior Member

Dropped a HSS PG loaded with screamers into my Mexican Strat. 45.00 shipped to my door and they sound awesome. You will very likely not be disappointed.

10. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

If you're talking about the bridge p'up, a 5/2 config with a baseplate sounds excellent.

I did that with ceramic single coils from a PRS SE EG. Overall surprisingly good tone and quack.

HTH,

11. DPaulCustom

It's this set (pic below), I thought about the A2 rods, but had heard a lot of good things about the A3s for strats, & decided to try them. Worked out really well\
    This set is loaded with A5 rods in all three pups

12. cmcoram

cmcoram Senior Member

The other guitarist in our band uses the prewired pg from them with single coils in it. He likes them, but just has a hard time with the volume and EQ when he switches guitars. His other guitars are a Gibby SG with the 490/500 pups, and a PRS single cut with EMGs.

1 person likes this.
  13. DPaulCustom

Maybe a boost pedal for the switch between guitars, as far as the eq, somebody else might have a suggestion, I couldn't say on that.

14. jeebus2002

jeebus2002 Senior Member

I got a set of screamers, but they're already out of the guitar. I didn't dislike them...but they weren't what I wanted. Neither were fat pats or VEH from gfs for that matter. The neck was pretty well defined, and the bridge was powerful. I think the ceramic mags were just too sterile. I'll probably drop em' into a cheap Chinese guitar I've got laying around...maybe just use it for high gain.

15. Heilage

Heilage Senior Member

I've got a pair of 81/85 clones from Dragonfire, and I'm not really liking them. Far too hot for me, reall. They distort without any gain at all, i had to adjust the pickups to be almost as far away from the strings as possible to get some clean sounds. That is a taste thing, but I reckon they are good value, since they're so cheap. Mind you, I have two pairs, and those problems are not apparent on my cheap LP.

Next up, I'm trying some GFS, hoping to be more satisfied with the sound from those.

16. DPaulCustom

You'll probably find the two brands pretty similar, if your dead set on GFS, try their better p'ups, professional series, or for around the same money you can get some used Duncans on ebay.
    I tried one of the Mean 90 p'ups & like it pretty much.
    Then again, by the time you spend all that money on cheap p'ups, you could get a good set from one of the winders here on the forum.

17. jeebus2002

jeebus2002 Senior Member

Gfs makes some decent pups, I find their necks generally too dark tho. I suggest toneriders for inexpensive pickups, and I've got a Giovanni neck bucket' coming in that I'm excited to try. The nice thing about cheap pickups is you can try lots of them for the price of one Duncan...they let you explore a bit more.

18. theaxeman

theaxeman Senior Member

There are much better choices out there for just a few dollars more!

1 person likes this.
  19. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

As well as Dragonfire PU's, I've got a set of GFS Dream-90's in an SG, and I absolutely love them. They have a rich vintage tone with tons of bite and attitude when you want it. Very responsive to pick attack for smooth transitions in tone from clean to rude. Both companies offer alot of bang for the buck.