Danelectro Hodad?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by old mark, Aug 7, 2012.

1. old mark

old mark Senior Member

2. AccustomedtoStandards

AccustomedtoStandards Senior Member

Wow, didn't realize they'd brought these back. The original Hodads were pretty cool.

Do you remember the Mod? they were out about the same time. I actually had a Mod 7 String (yes, you read that right) that I bought when MF blew them out at $99 back around 1999 or so. It was kind of fun, but never really bonded with it. Dano quirkiness and the 7 string nature of it just didn't ever quite gel for me. I eventually traded it for an acoustic for the wife, which she still has.

3. old mark

old mark Senior Member

Found this demo...I like the sounds...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FiHikn30Ks]Gear review Danelectro Hodad electric guitar Eric Clapton - YouTube[/ame]

mark

4. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Senior Member

I have one of the originals, w/"Bigsby." I enjoy it very much. The Fakesby actually works better than the authorized Bigsby on my Epi WildKat, go figure. Very cool guitar, and like all Danos light on the shoulder!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy hunting!

1 person likes this.
  5. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Oh how I coveted one of these back in the day when I started playing guitar... Looks amazing! I hope they reach the civilized part of the world too if they are reissuing them :fingersx:

1 person likes this.
  6. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Senior Member

Skol!

:D

1 person likes this.
  7. FUS44

FUS44 Senior Member

My brother had the bass. It sounded great, but fell apart after a while.
    It's still at the house, but has been retired.
    They are so lightweight!

8. old mark

old mark Senior Member

I had an original Dano Longhorn bass, bought used in the early '60's with factory case. I played it on stage in bar bands till about 1972 when i replaced it with a Fender Tele bass... The Dano developed an odd electrical problem...it lost the "bassiness" of the pups after someone refinished it and baked the body with the electronics in it to dry the paint. It sounded like the low strings on a piano...the body and hardware held up just fine till I sold it in '75.

mark

9. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

Cool. I missed these the first time around and really wanted a Hodad with a fake Bigsby. I did eventually snag a silveflake U3, and that's probably as much Dano as I can handle.

10. cherrick

cherrick Senior Member

You know, I could never master that bit where you play behind your head and where you drop to your knees and play.

And now I know. I've been trying with the wrong guitar!

1 person likes this.
  11. old mark

old mark Senior Member

Man, I don't have the knees for that stuff any more...I'd never be able to get back up! :dude:

mark

12. cherrick

cherrick Senior Member

I'm thinking about screwing a couple of guitar clamps to a walker. Put on my scooter-pie shoes and rock out.

1 person likes this.
  13. DennisMiller

DennisMiller Premium Member

I've had a U2 and a Hodad. I wish I still had the Hodad because it was actually a very versatile guitar that I found a lot of use for.

14. dangolguitartec

dangolguitartec Senior Member

Are they putting triad rods in those things yet?
    That's the only thing that ever kept me from getting one...

Otherwise, very cool!:cool:

15. Electric Funeral

Electric Funeral Senior Member

Sorry to ressurect a dead thread, but I just picked up an original MIK version of these from the late 90's. Sorry for the crap photo.

[​IMG]

Really loving it so far, the control layout offers tons of tone options.

Couldn't resist slapping some stickers on it, it's now my #1 punk guitar. It just nails that "Nervous Breakdown"/"Jealous Again" tone.

1 person likes this.
  16. old mark

old mark Senior Member

I have a tiny Danelectro amp that I could duct tape to my walker, along with my mini oxygen bottle!

FWIW, I now have 2 Danelectro's, a "convertible", which is a sort of acoustic/electric single pup double cut and a DC59 anniversary with gold plated hardware (!) that I changed out the bridge for an individually adjustable one.

You know that the truss rod adjuster is accessed by removing the neck...you kind of have to adjust it and hope it's right, but mine have been pretty stable, and they even hold tune.

I LIKE the acoustic sound of the convertible sound a lot...must be high grade tone masonite.

And JJ Cale plays one, so how bad can it be...:dude:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hCH9SqXhs[/ame]

He makes them sound so good he should endorse them...

The Hodad shape reminds me of Johnny Ramone's Mosrite guitar... You ought to try Cretin Hop on it

mark

1 person likes this.
  17. Shadowplayer

Shadowplayer Senior Member

Outside of the DC - 59 (3021) model, I never really caught on to the body shape of Danelectros. But thats just me.

18. Electric Funeral

Electric Funeral Senior Member

The Convertibles have always looked cool to me. Love to have one laying around to strum on.

Oh, and believe me - the first thing I played on this when I got home (well, besides a couple surf riffs whilst setting it up) was their entire 1979 "It's Alive!" album:thumb:. That's without a doubt my desert-island record. Recorded new years eve '77 in London, it's a milestone in early punk chronology.

The Ramones were the band that inspired me to pick up an instrument, and ever since I learned 3 chords I've wanted a Mosrite-styled guitar. I'm really getting along with the body shape - I'm temped to sell one of my Pauls and pick up a Hallmark Custom 60 :naughty:

1 person likes this.
  19. old mark

old mark Senior Member

Funeral

Johnny Ramone never got the respect he deserved...I once bought a real Mosrite for $200, long ago when they were just "old guitars"...I wish I had kept it...

mark

1 person likes this.