Catalonia votes to ban Bullfighting

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Tsukiyomi, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

The parliament of Catalonia has voted to ban bullfighting - the first region of mainland Spain to do so. The vote took place as the result of a petition brought to parliament, signed by 180,000 people who say the practice is barbaric and outdated. Bullfight supporters insist that the corrida, as it is known, is an important tradition to preserve. They also fear the vote could be the first of many in the country. The ban takes effect in January 2012.

In Wednesday's vote, 68 backed a ban, 55 voted against and nine abstained.

[​IMG]

Barcelona's main bullring is one of the oldest in Spain, but support for the bullfight has waned. The Barcelona bullring is the only functioning one in Catalonia. The vote was brought to the agenda by activists who argue it is cruel and unacceptable and say most spectators in Catalonia these days are tourists. The campaign was led by the animal rights lobby group Prou! (Enough!).

Supporters says the corrida is an art form that it is vital to preserve Catalan nationalism.

The vote was close as the two main parties in parliament took the unusual step of allowing members to cast their ballots according to their conscience. But while the official debate is over animal rights, many believe this process is an attempt by nationalist-minded Catalans to mark their difference from the rest of Spain by rejecting one of its best known traditions. Pro-bullfighting groups fear that a ban could spark a wave of similar campaigns across the country. They argue that threatens the livelihood of thousands of people. The first Spanish region to ban bullfighting was the Canary Islands, in 1991.

Rest of story:

BBC News - Catalonia bans bullfighting in landmark Spain vote

Raz59, GibsonByBirth, Lyrica and 4 others like this.
  2. V!N

V!N Senior Member

About bloody time !

3. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

My sentiments exactly!

4. hotrat

hotrat Senior Member

I hate bloodsports, it's just so wrong.

This bastards on the receiving end for a change, a 10" deep stomach wound apparently, and my only sympathy here is for the bull.

[​IMG]

5. SGMM

SGMM Senior Member

Should be banned world-wide!!

Douchery!!

6. MenaceMartin

MenaceMartin Senior Member

Tradition or not... it's cruel.

7. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

It's a manly sport.

8. onehippie

onehippie Senior Member

horrible
    Rest in Peace
    [​IMG]
    one of his assistants delivers the 'coup de grĂ¢ce'. from dagger to sever spinal cord

9. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Good on them . I have seen a bullfight up close in Spain and it is not a nice experience believe me.
    In fact it made me sick and we had to leave.
    I was young at the time and only went with the rest of the band to see what it was all about as we got free tickets.
    One of lifes experiences that left a nasty taste in my mouth ever since.

10. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Dead right hotrat.
    We actually cheered when the Matador got gored and had to make a hasty exit from the bullring as a result.

This guy got everything coming to him.
    This is the point in a bullfight where he sticks blades into the bulls neck to sever nerves and weaken and anger the bull even more.
    This dick won't be stabbing anything again...The bull killed him..:dude:
    Twat!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-WSSzumgyk]YouTube - bull killed man[/ame]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. L60N

L60N Senior Member

About time they did!

Now Bull riding, on the other hand! Anyone watch the pro stuff? "Chicken on a chain" :D

[​IMG]

Love it!

12. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Senior Member

Good on you, Phil. The argument that it's 'part of the culture' is nonsense and outdated imo. I often say to people it's not that long ago that sticking little kids up chimneys was an acceptable norm in England. Doesn't mean it should go on though.

13. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Yeah, when the bull tossed the guy in the air all our band cheered, but a deathly hush fell on the whole stadium and about 20,000 faces turned our way.
    Oooops time for a quick exit..:shock:

It's like these idiots in Spain who go on the annual run with the bulls thing.
    OK, they don't kill the bulls, but they sure scare the shit out of the poor things.

This is when it all went wrong though..What do they expect. I have no time for all that macho shit..
    Notice they are all young men. Women on the whole just aint that stupid and have nothing to prove. Says something for the daftness of our gender doesn't it? :rolleyes:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f2KnZ3iqhc[/ame]

14. TOMMYTHUNDERS

TOMMYTHUNDERS Senior Member

The whole "it's a part of our culture" argument is the biggest bunch of bullshit. Slavery used to be a part of the culture in the American south, Female circumcision is a part of some cultures, cannibalism is a part of some cultures, receiving lashes for conversing with the opposite sex is a part of some cultures.... does this make it right?

15. Hizzy

Hizzy My 15 minutes are up Premium Member

I like it when the bull wins!

If they have a blood lust, let the people that enjoy this to run around the ring wearing pink tights, waving manly capes around and sticking each other with sharp pointy shit.

16. goatbreath

goatbreath Banned

If they put corks on the end of the bull's horns and pointy sticks it would make it all much safer.:)

Actually I think it is totally stupid.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. MineGoesTo11

MineGoesTo11 Senior Member

Sometimes the solution is right under your nose.
    [​IMG]

18. DRF

DRF Senior Member

Another vote for ITS ABOUT F**KING TIME. What a bunch of macho idiocy. Culture? I remember when Michael Vick got busted for dog fighting,Whoopie Goldberg said you have to understand he came from that culture...well that culture sucks ass and so does this.

Theres another running of the bulls thing where they put a wreath on the head of a bull and set it on fire. What a bunch of losers,why don't you bait bears while youre at it.

19. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

Yes, about time! Glad they got some common sense!

That stuff is brutality and animal cruelty and nasty stuff all combined into some sorry display of GROTESQUE crap!

20. Harmony

Harmony Harmony The Agitator V.I.P. Member

It is a start, I hope the rest of Spain and other countries (eg: France etc) will follow. Even if they are not as bloody, it still promotes it.
    It is about time this sport/art or whatever they want to call it end. For some reason they think cruelty to other animals is wrong yet this is ok :rolleyes:.