Best Spray Gun For Applying Lacquer?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Udonitron, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

Hello guys

1st time posting in this area but I thought I would ask the pros :D
    I am refinishing my MIJ Les Paul Jr. and was wondering what the best spray gun would be for applying the lacquer?

I went to Lee Valley the other day and grabbed this gun, a luthier who works there said it rocks and is very efficient and precise on spray radius and consistency.

Critter Air-Powered Spray Gun - Lee Valley Tools

[​IMG]

Notice it has a unique siphon design and draws the liquid up (stored in a nice glass Mason jar...cool eh?) and then sprayed out.

Do you think this would be a sufficient choice or should I go for a HVLP gravity fed gun instead?

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your input and advice on this dilemma :thumb:

2. Udonitron

Ah yes, the search function lol.
    I was searching for applying lacquer and lacquer spraying but I could not find anything in the 1st few pages...sorry.
    The sprayer I posted above is unique however, anyone have any experience with that particular design?
    Cheers

3. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

I have experience with both and the links above are really comprehensive.
    The syphon type created too much spittle for me and the HVLP is very bulky IMHO.

4. mrzippy

mrzippy Senior Member

i just used the touch-up sprayer from harbor freight. works very well exelent controlTouch-Up Air Spray Gun

5. Udonitron

Ah interesting sprayer.
    So you almost use it via a hip shot style then hey?
    The trigger looks to be utilized via your palm or thumb?

There is also this nice smaller gun and reservoir HVLP gun

[​IMG]

6. Udonitron

What do you use personally?

7. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

8. Udonitron

Ah OK...like the one mrzippy posted but better quality.
    I ended up buying the same one mrzippy linked to but on fleabay instead last night.
    We shall see how well it does.
    I was tempted to buy an airbrush as well to test out.
    Cheers for your input mate

9. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

For years I have used 2 suction feed devilbiss guns. The large one (JGA) is perfect for spraying full coats and for getting fast build. The smaller (EGA) gun, also known as a touchup or doorjamb gun, is still by far my favorite gun for bursts and for final coats. The pattern and fine atomization are perfect for bursts and colour graduation where you need maximum control. Also I like to shoot a final clear topcaot with this gun as opposed to the larger JGA. After wet sanding, I apply one final coat with the small gun and because it atomizes much finer than the JGA, the final coat is much smoother with better flow out and less orange peel. The bottom line is that after the final coat is sprayed I can use a much less aggressive grit of sandpaper to level the lacquer before polishing, saving time in the whole process.

This year I got a Fuji HVLP system (about $700) and I'm still wrastling with it :hmm:

The spray pattern is not nearly as controllable as my devilbiss guns and the cap and needle set that it came with were just way to big for guitar work...you could spray the side of a barn with that huge pattern. So I got a smaller cap and needle set and even still it sprays heavier than my Devilbiss JGA. But I can use it for applying heavy coats for build.

10. dougk

dougk Senior Member

Given your two choices, go with the gravity fed HVLP setup.

That being said, my personal favorite (of the half dozen or so I own) is my larger siphon feed Binks 2001. Freaking fantastic gun!

I use a couple small cheap touch up guns for spraying my bursts, they work great for that. I keep one dedicated for JUST goldtop since that powder is almost impossible to 100% clean out of the gun.

The touchup guns will spray tight enough to burst headstocks:

[​IMG]

edit: I've used this set in the past (I still use the touch up gun for bursts and the larger for laying out sealer coats now) http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-Spray-Gun-Set-w-Gauges-Metal-Cups/H7671

11. Udonitron

Nice...thanks guys for the input.
    I suppose I will end up buying a few and figure out which is the best.
    it will all be trial and error but hopefully the siphon fed one I got will do the trick on a 2-3 coat of lacquer for my Jr.
    I do not want it thick and glossy but rather protect the finish but still sink into and show off the mahogany grain.
    I have finished staining my Jr a nice water based ebony stain

12. steveracer16

steveracer16 Junior Member

:slash::slash:
    :

:slash: It depends on the compressure and sprayer and what you are spraying.I think you mentioned spraying wood. If you are spraying wood, you want to use higher then 7% automotive 10%+ , that said, I prefure the newer HVLP spray guns. HVLP allows 80% paint to cover object. Oldfashion sprayer 15% paint hits the object being painted(see why the push is on for the switch? Pollution control. GRACO, although pricy is completely adjustable. You
    can draw like a pencil with no overspray, etc.. The best part is the quality of the paint job...especialy if you don't have a spray booth.:wow:and doing a fine prep job.Don't rush paint so it can be completely dried.
    If you are paintingmetal make sure there is no moisture outside and it's 70degrees+. Understand, there's a perfect situation and there's not. :applause::shock: you don't want to have to be sanding this off to redoe it.

13. Udonitron

Ha this is from 2010 mate, all good now!
    I have refinished a few guitars now and all good, cheers for the help and reply!
    I did this one from scratch

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. martin6string

martin6string Senior Member

I started with an earlex 5000 and its good to get started with though, I now have an accu spray 23 turbine with the accu spray 10 gun. So much better atomization vs. the earlex. Personally, I would go with an Apollo system if you want the absolute best. Though, body shops often use the accu spray rigs day in and day out.

15. BleedingGums

BleedingGums Senior Member

This is fantastic! Almost has an Escher-like vibe as it looks like the grain is melting.

16. Udonitron

Yeah tried to make it like that, cheers man!
    Over-spray and then wet sand it to give it a bit of a gradient.

17. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Senior Member

What gun did you end up with?