Best loop station pedal?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by goodvibes, Dec 13, 2012.

1. goodvibes

goodvibes Premium Member

I'm new to this sub forum and wanted to ask for some opinions on which is the best loop station pedal. I've never used one so I'm looking for the best overall in terms of loop time ease of use, tone quality, etc. thanks tone freaks:)

1 person likes this.
  2. Ginger Beer

Ginger Beer Senior Member

The only one I have ever used is this one..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The Boss RC20XL. I only rarely turn it on (mostly to figure out a lead over some rhythm tracks) but it sounds very good as far as signal degradation goes. Other than that, it usually just sits until I need it again so I really am unqualified to speak on it's "more advanced" features.

1 person likes this.
  3. goodvibes

goodvibes Premium Member

Thanks. This gives me some place to start. I hate going to a retail store or looking for a used item until i've done some research. Thanks.

4. DonMI6

DonMI6 Member

I use a Boss RC-3 Loop station. It works great & I like the small footprint. The recording quality is high & it's very intuitive. I don't make use of all of it's features, I mainly use it as a recording device if I play something interesting. The big problem with it is, when you make a mistake, you have to press & hold a button on the device to delete it, which kind of defeats the purpose of a "pedal". I got a FS-5U external footswitch which plugs right in, makes it much more useable, but if I was buying again, i'd look at one with two footswitches like the one Ginger posted.

5. Square

Square Senior Member

I use this one... At the time it seemed yo be the best bang for the buck.

[​IMG]

6. 2009LPGT

2009LPGT Senior Member

I can tell you that I prefer the Boss RC2 due to the better drum sounds. The RC3 has stereo ins and outs and lots more features. They all take a bit of practice. You need to decide what is important to you and find one with the feature set you want. If you want bone ass simple and enough time to record a blues jam loop, then go for a Boss DD7 all the way. It is the easiest looper I have run across with respectable record time! Oh, and you also get a kick ass delay!

7. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

I love the RC-20XL and use it every day. Can't recommend it enough. You can set up a series of loops and move between them to do a whole song, plug in a mic or drum machine, reverse loops and do a bunch of other stuff with the greatest of ease. It takes a little while to figure out, but is pretty versatile. In fact, I remember reading that a lot of people prefer them to the more recent and expensive RC-30.

If I had limitless space and cash, I might want the RC-300, but the 20XL is fine for my purposes. I've gigged with it a couple of times and always get that fun "hang on...didn't he just play that?" moment from the audience.

8. Sonex Reducer

Sonex Reducer Senior Member

I got a used boss rc-3 pretty cheap and it's amazing. Sounds great and it's easy to use. Best practice tool I can think of. I've become a better player using it for sure.

I valued record time over drum sounds so i went with the rc-3 instead of the rc-2.

9. chef

chef Senior Member

Looking for a looper, I have a RC-2 that I'm borrowing, I don't like the 1 pedal setup too much.

I was thinking RC-30... Some people prefer the RC-20XL. Thoughts?

10. chef

chef Senior Member

Picked up a deal on an RC-30. Highly worthwhile for laying down some backing tracks.

I was in the same boat as the OP, I wanted a looper, had a RC-2 which I was borrowing. I wasn't such a fan. The RC-2 had a confusing UI. This one is much more intuitive, I think the RC-3 is too, but I couldn't pass up on this one. Also there are 2 channels per loop, 99 loops and a USB connection so you can grab .wav files from it and load on backing tracks.

The drum loops on this one are fairly simple, but they work. That is the main gripe of people who like the RC-2. My guess is that to get good quantization on the loops they needed less drum beats.

The Line6 looper come with full backing tracks for christs sake! I don't need a drum machine (I can play that from my computer through monitors) or a backing band (same thing).

The RC-30 is easy to use. I just plugged it into the end of my FX loop (right before the return) put together track, and it turned out really cool.

11. chef

chef Senior Member

BTW, RC-30 is $249 at GC with the $50 off $299. Best price I could find.

12. Telechamp

Telechamp Senior Member

I've got the Boss RC-2 and the Digitech JamMan Solo. As stated, the RC-2 has great drum sims. The JamMan seems a little easier to use, though..

[​IMG]

13. StandingWave

StandingWave Senior Member

This one looks promising. It's beyond my budget, and somebody else has to go first.

[​IMG]

14. mmcquain

mmcquain V.I.P. Member

Check out the guitar demos done by Gregor Hilden on YouTube. He uses a Boss RC-2 looper to lay down the backing track that he then solos over when demoing a ton of different guitars. Here's a few examples...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0VR551_0lc]2003 Gibson CS-356 Custom Shop Part3 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYR1mEmlFdc]2003 Gibson CS-356 Custom Shop Part4 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZMfd8XLcJY]2011 Gibson Les Paul 1959 Reissue Custom Shop, /w. real old PAF Pickups Part2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3i9zOoAHX4]2011 Gibson Les Paul 1959 Reissue Custom Shop, /w. real old PAF Pickups Part1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7qYwRBS2WM]2012 Fender Telecaster Custom Shop '52 Relic Part1 - YouTube[/ame]

And this demo is a great example of what can be done with a looper in a solo act...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYEU91d8ngc]KT Tunstall "Black Horse & The Cherry Tree" on Jools - YouTube[/ame]

I used to own the JamMan Solo and found it easy enough to use (and liked being able to share the files between my computer via the USB connection) but I never really had much NEED for it so I ended up selling it.

2 people like this.
  15. goodvibes

goodvibes Premium Member

Wow! Good stuff! Thanks everyone. I will likely go with a dual footswitch model like the RC-20. I wonder if anyone had tried using the CD line in back to record a song from a CD player and play it back. Apparently this thing can remove the vocals from the recording (minus 1 data)? Anybody try this feature?

Thanks again