attwifi....arrrrggh!....help please?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by randelli, Aug 16, 2013.

1. randelli

randelli Senior Member

I spend a lot of time on the road and need to connect to the internet from time to time. I normally drop into a Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, etc.

Recently I've been unable to connect to ANY of their attwifi networks. I can use wifi at home, other places that do not use attwifi as a network name, hotels, so I know my wifi card is OK on my computer. I can also connect to attwifi on my phone - but not the computer.

I did try a google search but did not find any real answers. Any idea what is going on?

2. randelli

randelli Senior Member

Anyone?

3. b3john

b3john Senior Member

4. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher Premium Member

__ first things first. you failed to mention what version of what operating system. cannot help without that info __

( will guess this is a Windows problem. never had a network connection problem with any of my Linux distros )

5. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Does AT&T do an HTTP hijack to prompt for authentication? Maybe it's a security setting or a browser issue.

6. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

after you connect open your browser and the AT&T site should pop up automatically. Then you accept terms of use and you should be good to go.

7. randelli

randelli Senior Member

I am running windows 7. It seems to only be a problem connecting to attwifi hotspots. Other people in the store are fine; and I can connect to other store's hotspots - such as Panera Bread.

I rebooted my laptop, turned the wifi off and on again (with a scottish accent ;)), ran troubleshooting, blah blah blah. It will not connect so I never get to move beyond that stage.

8. Malikon

Malikon BigDumbMonkey V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

9. randelli

randelli Senior Member

No.............. more like:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Senior Member

This may seem obvious, but...

Have you tried powering your phone off and back on?

Whenever I have troubles this is the first thing I try. It usually solves most issues.

11. randelli

randelli Senior Member

The phone will connect - it is the laptop I am having trouble with.

I even ran my advanced system care last night to see if something had switched off access to attwifi. No change. It appears to only be a problem with "attwifi"

12. b3john

b3john Senior Member

AT&T Wi-Fi (United States) | Starbucks Coffee Company

Official Blog: Starbucks’ WiFi goes Google

Are you sure "attwifi" is still publicly available at those locations? Check to see if your phone is connecting to that network or if it is connecting to the "free" Google wifi. As they switch their stores over in the various locations, the attwifi connections at Starbucks will be dedicated to back end stuff for the stores but closed to public access.

13. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Senior Member

Is the laptop added as a device through AT&T (for an exra $9.99 per month)?

Unless it is "registered" I don't think it will connect. I've done tablets, but I've never done a laptop.

1 person likes this.
  14. Hack

Hack Senior Member

15. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Senior Member

Call AT&T and ask them. I've had to use their customer service for a wi-fi connection at an airport and they were quite helpful. Or you can keep asking us and just use AT&T for guitar questions. :naughty:

16. randelli

randelli Senior Member

From the Starbucks link above:

Our Wi-Fi has gone Google!

In an effort to bring even faster Internet connections to you, Starbucks has partnered with Google as our Wi-Fi provider. We are excited to offer this new experience, and will expect to roll this out to all of our 7,000 stores in the U. S. over the next 18 months. During this transition, we are pleased to be able to continue to work with our partner, AT&T, to provide Wi-Fi service to our customers.

Starbucks offers free, one-click, unlimited Wi-Fi at all company-owned stores in the United States, including instant access to the Starbucks Digital Network. There’s no purchase or subscription required, no password needed and no time limit on your session.

To connect simply select attwifi or Google Starbucks WiFi networks, open a browser on your laptop or mobile device and click “Connect.”

I got the same from the barristas and they did not know why it wasn't working either. I will write down the tech number listed in case it happens again.

17. Malikon

Malikon BigDumbMonkey V.I.P. Member

the past couple years it seems like whatever Google touches turns to sh*t.

they ruined YouTube. (if you run a channel that is)

1 person likes this.
  18. b3john

b3john Senior Member

At my local Starbucks which has already been converted over, it looks like I would now have to connect to the Google network. Truth be told, I leave wifi turned off, because I get faster network speeds from my LTE connection than I do via wifi (which I realize doesn't help you with the laptop issue unless you have tethering set up).

19. randelli

randelli Senior Member

Ours have not converted. I may have to tether through the phone - or go to a different business altogether.

The thing is it must be a problem with my laptop as I see other customers online. Where should I look to see if anything is blocked or unselected?

1 person likes this.
  20. OBX351

OBX351 Senior Member

Does it have this problem only with AT&T in Starbucks? I work for a wireless networking company. This is a free little product that might help you.
    Wi-Fi Inspector | Xirrus

I am not saying that this is your issue but wireless access points can get swamped very easily by smart devices hitting the AP with connection requests for all of their SSIDs every 100ms. So you can be sitting below and AP, see 4 bars and can't connect. This is because the AP can't manage all of these SSID requests and starts dropping connections and not allowing new connections.

The other thing you can do is to delete your infrequently used SSIDs on your computer. Stupid as it sounds you might also want to try using another browser (with lowered security settings) if you need to go to a landing page to accept the terms and conditions or if using the wifi requires a pop up web page. It might not be the AP it might be the 3rd party who posts/validates your acceptance of their T's & C's for using their wifi doesn't like your browser. I've see it before. Or your current security settings doesn't like a 3rd party opening up a new browser....who knows.

I hope this helps some. Good luck.

PM me if you have any other questions.

2 people like this.