Aria Pro II LP

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by ttl100, May 25, 2009.

1. ttl100

ttl100 Member

Just like to ask how good is the Aria Pro II LP from the late 70's. It's got long tenon but sandwiched body with maple top. It should be at least better than current MIC Epiphone Standards. Bet it'll be a screamer with pickup & pots upgrade.

2. dlmorley

dlmorley Senior Member

Aria made some great guitars. The higher priced models had dimarzios I believe. Leopard models I believe..
    I wouldn't doubt the quality from my experience. I still think my Aria Pro II Herb Ellis is totally underrated..

3. GS STRINGS

GS STRINGS Member

I don't have any first hand experience with them,but I did read in a website on classic LP copies the guy had written Aria made some of the best ,and Lotus made some of the worst.

4. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

I had an Aria Pro II Cardinal series way back in High school (early 80's) it was a great guitar.

5. mojotop

mojotop Senior Member

My ARIA pro II LS-600 P is a rare beauty from the mid-price range in 1980, equipped with a pair of P-90s, 2pc-solid maple top, mahogany pancake-body, 3pc-maple neck with ebony fretboard, fret edge binding & MOP-inlays. The electronical parts are originally mounted on a circuit board.
    The Standard LP-models from LS-400 up to LS-1000 (late´70s to 1981) mostly had DiMarzio-Humbuckers installed, while the medium quality section was equipped with DiMarzio PAF-types or in the LS-800 region they mixed a PAF in the neck-position with a Super Distortion in the Bridge-position. Higher grade models mostly had a matched set of Super Distortions mounted. The lower section had 3pc-maple tops, a pankcake mahogany body and a 3pc-maple neck. From the LS-700´s on the tops were made of 2pc-maple caps, the body was a pancake-construction with a 3pc-maple neck. Top-range models showed 2pc-Flametops, solid mahogany-bodys and a mahogany neck. Some LS-700 models had fret edge binding, some an ebony fingerboard, but this varied through the years. Some more informations you will find on the 'Matsumoku'-pages. They also have a cool forum there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. dlmorley

dlmorley Senior Member

Nice! Never seen one with P90's. I'd grab that in a second!

7. mojotop

mojotop Senior Member

Yep, it´s a rare beauty. The regular LS-600 P was only made in 1980, has a set of Aria P-90 PUs, a 3pc-top and a rosewood fretboard without fret edge binding. I´ve searched for informations ´bout my 'higher grade'-model in all the different forums without result. Even Matsumoku has any infos about my guitar. Now I think that this special model is a prototype or individual item. The guitar is in excellent near mint condition. It´s all original except the slightly aged nickel parts (Duesenberg ABR-bridge, Faber alu tailpiece & pickguard-bracket). The original protective foil still remains on the electronic-covers!

8. mojotop

mojotop Senior Member

I´m doin´ some repair-jobs and setups for a few buddies of mine sometimes. One of them is an Aria pro II -collector and the most of his Arias are Les Paul-models. I´d like to show you a LS-800 Darkburst Flametop from 1980 and a LC-700 LP Custom from 1978. The LS-800 has the original DiMarzio PUs installed (PAF & Super Distortion), the LC-700 is modified with a Gibson T-Top patent-# in the bridge-position & a U-2000 (used by Greco, also known as 'Super 70', used in Ibanez guitars in the ´70s) in the neck-position. The LS-800 is a real rocker! Best for hard&heavy-stuff! A cool PU-combi, also good for classic rock, but the Super Distortion is a real monster. The top is a flame-veneer on a solid maplecap, the neck is medium-size an feels really great. The LC-700 shows a few different specs, feels and plays like a real 'oldie'. German luthier Thomas Amberger did a famous inlay-job with real celluloid! I replaced the pots and caps, wired it ´50s-style and did the 'Peter Green'-thing. The fantastic woody tone of the guitar inspired me to realize the 'out-of-phase'-wiring. The guitars are absolutely fantastic with fine adjusted neck-curve, string-heighs and pickups!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. toybitz

toybitz Junior Member

that custom is beautiful

10. GS STRINGS

GS STRINGS Member

+1 that standard also.........nice guitars!!

11. uOpt

uOpt Senior Member

Wow. That Custom.

Got any more shots?

[puts Aria back into the MIJ Ebay search...]

12. mojotop

mojotop Senior Member

Some more shots for the insatiable demand ;)

Aria pro II LC-700 Black beauty 1978
    [​IMG]
    Tokai Love Rock LC-60 Black Beauty 1991 / Greco Super Power EG-500 cherry sunburst 1981 / Aria pro II LC-700 Black Beauty 1978
    [​IMG]
    Aria pro II LS-800 darkburst Flametop 1980 / Edwards E-LP-98 LTS darkburst Flametop 2007
    [​IMG]

13. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

nice guitars

14. uOpt

uOpt Senior Member

I approve of these guitars.

15. DDcat

DDcat Senior Member

How do the Aria Pros compare to the Tokai, Greco Edwards? I have an AP II LS600 and am always amazed at how well it plays/feels (and sounds) every time I pick it up and play it. I've never had a chance to compare it to other Japanese models though as I don't come across them very often.

16. LP_C_D

LP_C_D Senior Member

Oh! Very nice looking collection !

17. longjaw

longjaw Senior Member

I likeee!!!!

18. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

Honestly I think they are every bit as well built & play just as well as my Greco or Burny. They are highly underrated (just not at a collectors status...yet) and as a result can be had for CHEAP on the Japanese market!

DDcat and MauiCliff like this.